U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 05:01 AM

100 posts, read 59,384 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Iowa soon and am a MN Wild and MN Twins fan. I have been reading about broadcast black outs which are just ridiculous. I also Follow Kansas City Royals. So for example I can't see the Twins play the royals ever as both would be blacked out if they play each other. Want to watch the Wild play the Blackhawks? Once again out of luck regardless of who is playing at home.

I normally use an Apple TV living over seas but brought it to Des Moines on my last trip and it was useless for sports. I can't believe you sign up for MLB/NHL TV and pay a subscription and they black out every single game of interest.

So what are the best packages for watching my favorite sports in the metro area? DirectTv Media-com? I could go with a VPN for my Apple TV but would also like to have some other programming. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more but looking at the cable packages they want like $125 a month and up for the sports channels. This seems to be a bit nuts in my opinion.

I am finding shopping for plans a bit confusing online so was wondering if any fellow sports fans could point me in a direction that won't bankrupt me?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the advice. If I can just get a basic package and then add that on I am looking at around $70 a month. That is reasonable.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:11 PM

392 posts, read 625,288 times
Well it all depends on what part of the metro you are in, which is stupid to me. You'd want Fox Sports North, it sounds like, and you will likely end up needing a dish for it in some areas around here. Other areas around here have that station through Mediacom, however, if I recall correctly. I think you have to pay for one tier above the bottom one, but it's been a while since I looked. Luckily for me, my baseball team is the Astros, and so I can see most of their games online now, but I'd like to see the MN Wild and am just out of luck for now. I just go to Iowa Wild games and pretend, lol. (Not saying they aren't fun though, because they are and I have season tickets.)

Old 05-27-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Well it all depends on what part of the metro you are in, which is stupid to me. You'd want Fox Sports North, it sounds like, and you will likely end up needing a dish for it in some areas around here. Other areas around here have that station through Mediacom, however, if I recall correctly. I think you have to pay for one tier above the bottom one, but it's been a while since I looked. Luckily for me, my baseball team is the Astros, and so I can see most of their games online now, but I'd like to see the MN Wild and am just out of luck for now. I just go to Iowa Wild games and pretend, lol. (Not saying they aren't fun though, because they are and I have season tickets.)
Funny enough i just started following the Astros. Beginning to look at jumping ship for a team outside the black outs. I am over in Redfield and we do get Mediacom there. As far as the wild goes though I watched them in a bar on Court Avenue and if I remember correctly they were on DirectTV.

Will go to some Iowa Wild games for sure. Looking at tickets it is like $26 to sit rink side which is an okay value. The Wild have a strong culture of growing talent so they will have pretty good players in their minor league system.

At the moment I am in Thailand but will look into it further when I get to Iowa next month. Was just doing some preliminary research. Looks like AT&T does dishtv bundles. That will be my carrier so will probably ask them.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:01 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,980,760 times
I know some frugal men who put up outside TV antennas with rotters on their roofs (or a tower). I know one did all the work himself and spent about $500 or so, but he gets all of the games that he wants to see for free. Your millage may vary, because I think he just needed to pick up the stations in Ames and Iowa City.

This site will give you more details:

TV Fool

Old 05-29-2017, 06:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,665,397 times
Mediacom's family package gives you Fox Sports Midwest. It seems we get some Foxs Sports North programming but not regularly.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:00 AM

Oh…and I do pay Mediacom an extra $7/month for their sports package add-on. This gives me some of the additional sports channels I need to catch various televised games for my alma mater, Iowa State.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:42 AM

I have decided that I am just going to do better things with my time. LOL Not because I can't afford it but because of the backwards black out policies in professional sports. Let's see how long I last. LOL I enjoy sports but not that fanatical that I can't find a new hobby.

They have simply gotten greedy to the point where I just can't justify it. I will listen on the radio I guess and watch free games. There is always a sports bar if my team does well. Being from MN means that's once or twice in a lifetime. I am done with it.

End of rant.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:19 AM

Good for you! I hate thinking about how much I waste on the cable bill....but can't ever seem to cut the cord even though we'll go days in our house without the TV even being on. Next time they jack up rates again might be all the motivation I need.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:13 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,980,760 times
I cut the cord when my Cable bill went over $80.

$80/month is $960/year or $4,800 in 5 years.

There is *nothing* on TV that is worth it to me at those rates.

My cable bill was initially $12/month, which was worth it at the time to get HBO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines