U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:30 AM

96 posts, read 44,599 times

Advertisements

It seems like the metro is defined by a handful of counties. Grinnell is much more detached from Des Moines it is sort of it's own town. I guess other than that, is that Redfield people would depend on Des Moines for services and shopping. So people living there would be very interested in what is going on in downtown and West Des Moines for example. I want to believe I live in the big city, please please please don't take that dream away from me.

Grinnell is much more self reliant and is it's own town and has it's own services. Grinnell would exist with out Des Moines and Redfield would not. That comment should win me friends at the parade. LOL

I think we sort of have to stick to counties just for the sake of clarity. Otherwise we have to draw an imaginary circle around central Des Moines.Just using the definition of Des Moines metro this site uses as does Wikipedia.

Anyway indeed getting back to Old Settlers Days I will be there and let people know how it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,543,028 times
MSA's are not random, but rather, determined by a formula managed by the US Office of Management and Budget. I think a town/city has to have a certain percentage of people that commute into the core city ( among other factors) for it to be included in the metro.

Bottomline: lookingaround, you can relax. It is out of our hands as to whether Redfeld is a part of the Des Moines metro. The OMB says it is. Now if the forum admins decide to use a different criteria for subforum purpose, that is their discretion.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:38 AM

96 posts, read 44,599 times
Have to spread reputation before I can give you anymore. Maybe Redfield could simply have it's own forum? It is growing by one person in population soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or