U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 AM

100 posts, read 59,004 times

Advertisements

I know Old Settler days is coming up sometime soon this month. Haven't been able to find exact dates for it online though. I am currently over seas and have tried calling the city hall using skype. I don't have any other way of calling and suspect they do not answer numbers that come up as unidentified or weird like skype calls do. I have tried 4 or 5 times and no answer.

So does anybody know when Old Setttlers days will be held? I am moving there soon and may shift some things around to be able to make it if I know. I live basically on the street it is held on so it would be fun to move in and all of that is going on.

Thanks in advance.

Okay my friend uses facebook and was able to find out that the dates are June 23-25. So has anybody ever attended or know exactly how big this event is? Not sure what to expect only know of it from a short blurb about it on Redfield's website.

Last edited by lookingaround12345; 06-10-2017 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: found the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 11:10 AM

5,046 posts, read 5,959,698 times
Here's an article from 2016 with some slides of that event near the bottom of the page:

Redfield Old Settlers Day keeps traditional flame alive | ThePerryNews

Here's the schedule of the events:

https://us.eventbu.com/redfield/2017...ttlers/3375860

I wish that I had more details for you! It certainly sounds like an event I would attend, but I've been working on weekends at a 2nd job.

Added: I'm not sure I'd want to be moving in with all that going on, unless the move is small, like unpacking a dozen boxes from a van.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:46 PM

I would be moving in a day or two before that. You do make a good point that Bridge Street may be blocked off to traffic however. To get to my place I can also come to my house from the other side of the Raccoon so should be okay.

Thanks for the links you shared with me. This is what forums like this are all about.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:26 AM

Not really sure why this was moved to the Iowa forum instead of the Des Moines forum. Redfield is in the same county as Jordan Town Center. Not that it matters but Dallas county is specifically listed under the Des Moines forum.

Where exactly is the line drawn?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,661,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Not really sure why this was moved to the Iowa forum instead of the Des Moines forum. Redfield is in the same county as Jordan Town Center. Not that it matters but Dallas county is specifically listed under the Des Moines forum.

Where exactly is the line drawn?
Yeah, Redfeld is technically in the Des Moines Metropolitian Statistical Area (MSA). (I'll admit myself, I didn't think it was either). Probably could go back. Not sure what admin uses for rule on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Mo...ropolitan_area

Old 06-12-2017, 01:55 PM

I guess we could send a PM to ElleTea. I think she's still the Iowa forum mod.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,661,734 times
I'm guessing she will see this and will opine. Assume she is the one that moved it in the first place.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:37 PM

9,016 posts, read 9,444,931 times
I'll move it.

All the decades i lived in Iowa I know that never would I ever have considered Redfield as part of the Des Moines metro (being in the same county as Waukee/Jordan Creek area or not), so I am guessing that is why it was moved. I also personally never considered Adel as part of the Des Moines metro, it's just too detached. I have always considered the parameters of the DES MOINES forum to be too broad. the counties listed area all of central Iowa, which is not the same as the Des Moines METRO, IMO.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:37 PM

I'll just add that in the time, I've been here, there has been a TON of new construction in the west. There's now a new HyVee in Waukee that rivals their flagship store in Urbandale, and I'm told it's packed all the time, just as one example.

Urban sprawl is real. The reach of the Des Moines Metro is expanding.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:02 PM

9,016 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Trust me, I understand urban sprawl. I live in one of the sprawliest cities there is (about 9000 sq miles, roughly the size of the state of New Hampshire). By comparison, Des Moines is compact.

IMO i still stand by the fact that Redfield is no more part of the metro than Grinnell. There has to be a cutoff to what is part of the METRO and what are small towns on th outskirts, IMO. To include Redfield and other towns that far removed, the forum is no longer Des Moines specific, but is actually just central Iowa. I've never agreed with the counties included in this forum, but they didn't ask me .

Anyway, back to Old Settler Days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or