U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM

128 posts, read 419,108 times

Advertisements

I'm an eastern Iowa native who just spent this past weekend in Clive/West Des Moines. One thing I can tell you after this past weekend, make sure you buy a house on higher ground. When looking for a home make sure you ask if it has ever been flooded. The whole area received a major dose of rain Saturday evening, with parts of the area receiving up to 10" of rain, granted this is not a common occurrence but obviously it can happen. With the flash flooding that occurred there last night, I'm pretty sure some homes/buildings around there got water in them that never had it before last night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 06:42 PM

26,867 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Oh, they had it before. Research 1993 flooding. Dang!

I spent the first 66 years in the DSM area. My health sent us elsewhere. I still think it's the best place to raise a family.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:20 PM

128 posts, read 419,108 times
Tek_Freek

I remember the 93 flood pretty well, I'm in the Muscatine area right on the Mississippi river. That was definitely a long duration flood not a flash flood here, the Mississippi was shut down to river traffic completely for what seemed to be most of the summer. I don't recall whether the Des moines area had flash flooding that year, or like us, a fairly quick climb then stayed there for weeks. I don't ever recall hearing anybody get 10" of rain in a matter of a few hours the way Ankeny did Saturday evening. I'm sure you would know better than I what happened in that area since you lived there for several decades. The 2001 flood was nearly as bad here as 1993, but didn't last anywhere near as long. In 2008 the north eastern and eastern part of Iowa was hammered with flash flooding as bad as it has ever been, but I don't recall if central Iowa got hit as hard then as the eastern side of the state? I know Des moines, Cedar Rapids, and I believe the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area all have had problems with their water and waste water facilities with some of the major floods that have hit the state.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:17 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
I'm an eastern Iowa native who just spent this past weekend in Clive/West Des Moines. One thing I can tell you after this past weekend, make sure you buy a house on higher ground. When looking for a home make sure you ask if it has ever been flooded.
That didn't help some of the people -- Urbandale for example -- who had storm drain problems. I expect some lawsuits will come out of that event. They had no way of predicting a flood. They weren't in a floodplain.

All that said, I would not buy a home in parts of Bondurant or some of the newer subdivisions around Ankeny. Yes, they had retaining ponds, but the ponds flooded, and all officials could do was try to drain them with a small pump. They cheaped out and didn't build them deeply enough.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Tek_Freek

I remember the 93 flood pretty well, I'm in the Muscatine area right on the Mississippi river. That was definitely a long duration flood not a flash flood here, the Mississippi was shut down to river traffic completely for what seemed to be most of the summer. I don't recall whether the Des moines area had flash flooding that year, or like us, a fairly quick climb then stayed there for weeks. I don't ever recall hearing anybody get 10" of rain in a matter of a few hours the way Ankeny did Saturday evening. I'm sure you would know better than I what happened in that area since you lived there for several decades. The 2001 flood was nearly as bad here as 1993, but didn't last anywhere near as long. In 2008 the north eastern and eastern part of Iowa was hammered with flash flooding as bad as it has ever been, but I don't recall if central Iowa got hit as hard then as the eastern side of the state? I know Des moines, Cedar Rapids, and I believe the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area all have had problems with their water and waste water facilities with some of the major floods that have hit the state.
In 1993 DSM was the largest city ever to be without water for, iirc, two months or so. The entire lower area of the city was flooded. I seem to remember someone broke open a levee on the Mississippi and got busted for it. Don't remember the reasoning behind breaking it.

That flood was caused by 10" of rain in a very short period of time over the Raccoon river north of DSM. Due to laziness and inaction on the part of DSM officials the waterworks was flooded and the entire city suffered for it. Some very interesting things occurred during that flood . Research Archie Brooks in connection with that flood. LOL!

https://iowapoliticsexposed.blogspot...l-chapter.html

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.C-iJuzLLexk

Old 07-04-2018, 07:32 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Interesting reads! I suspect some similar things are still going on . . .

Old 07-04-2018, 09:03 PM

Another reason we moved to WDM in '87. Northgate was the initial trigger.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 PM

5 posts, read 1,212 times
The Des Moines area is ranked a low crime metro area, but yeah it has it's bad areas, all cities do. The suburbs have very good school systems. And some of the suburbs rank as some of the fastest growing cities in the nation right now. Especially Ankeny, Waukee, and Johnston. Ankeny is the fourth fastest growing city in the nation for cities with populations over 50,000. And Des Moines has a pretty low cost of living compared to other similarly sized metro areas. I see people on here saying Des Moines has no culture. Not true, it's just a different culture than Seattle and Portland (thank God). During the warm months, there is always something going on in Des Moines or around the metro. The Art Festival, farmers markets, outdoor concerts galore, other cultural and ethnic festivals, street parties, Zoo Brew, Mixology, and many other events indoors and out. There are different fun bike rides, including the big one RAGBRAI the annual one-week 500-mile bike ride across Iowa from the west border (Missouri River) to the east border (Mississippi River). A lot of cycling in Iowa and over 800 miles of bike trails in the Greater Des Moines Area. "No good cup of coffee"? also not true. Just like in any city, you just need to know where to go. Great BBQ joints. Great beers with 15 different microbreweries in the metro right now. And many wineries around the area with weekly concerts and events. As for the tech Industry here read some of the tech and financial magazines They aren't calling the Des Moines, Kansas City, Omaha triangle the Silicon Prairie for nothing. It's in the early stages but they are pulling more in. And Des Moines was ranked the Ninth Best City in the nation for start-ups. I saw someone complain about the scenery ... Okay, you might be right there. I mean Iowa has some pretty areas, but most is fairly flat farm country, so no, it doesn't compare to mountains, the ocean, and redwood forests, and we are a little scant with lakes too. Des Moines is also right in the center of a web of other larger markets. Anywhere from a two to a four-and-a-half hour drive to the Twin Cities, Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City and Omaha (though Omaha isn't much larger), so little weekend getaways are easy. Des Moines area is a very friendly city. People are friendly, continuous, easy-going, live-and-let-live kind of people. Every year I throw a neighborhood party where neighbors who sign up to participate create their own mini-golf hole in their driveway or yard, and then we have a mini-golf tournament with everyone around the neighborhood, followed by a pot-luck where the winner also receives the traveling Putt-Master trophy and the gold corduroy Putt-Master's Jacket, and it usually ends around fire pits in peoples yards and driveways. Everyone also invites family and friends, big turnout, some really creative greens/holes, and the kids have a blast too. That's Iowa people. It's clean and lower on crime, great school systems, and not an expensive city. If you want more country living you might want a town slightly outside of the metro, but they are quick commutes.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 PM

Great post, but seriously, learn to use paragraphs. That is extremely hard to read.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM

2,584 posts, read 2,887,211 times
Well, with the flood of '93, there really wasn't anything that could be done to save the water treatment plant, the location doomed it. Most of us look back favorably on the career and efforts of Water Works director L. D. McMullen, who lead the way and got us back up and flushing once again, within 3 weeks. The quality of our city water was always superior while he was in charge. Since he's been gone, there's been some long periods of months at a time where I think our water has had a foul taste, odor or both, the problem with that has been ongoing over the past 5 years or so, and it comes and goes. However, this year so far I think the water tastes much better once again, and I quit buying bottled water. Yeah, I remember that guy from Missouri whom got convicted for damaging the levy, they never had solid proof on him, but lots of circumstantial evidence. I think he did it, as he had threatened to do so, and had many vandalism convictions in his past, and was at the scene.

I don't think the city came off too sharp in this last flooding event, but it certainly was a total surprise on how much rain we got. A lot of people around town are looking back today, with the passing of our former governor Robert D. Ray. We used to have a 3% sales tax, lower property taxes, lower income taxes, and good services, which included the nations #1 ranking for education. He also signed into law our bottle deposit law which helps to keep our state clean and tidy. At this very moment, a ceremony is being held at the capitol rotunda, where his body lies in state. A sad day of remembrance for Mr. Ray, whom served as our governor from 1969 to 1983. He was a good guy, his funeral is tomorrow.

RIP Robert D. Ray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines