U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 07:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,303,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Have you been back to see the remodeled HyVee stores? I like Publix, too. That said, I think they're about same food-wise. HyVee is employee-owned. Publix (Kroger, etc) are not.

I'm missing Meijer. I really wish they would expand into Iowa.

Kroger wouldn't be a bad option either, but it's highly unlikely any grocery chain based outside of Iowa would take the risk of setting up shop in Iowa. Not only would they have Hy-Vee to compete with, but they would also have Fareway (while its following is small, it's still a very loyal consumer base).

If Meijer, Kroger, etc. do set up shop, it'd most likely do so in places like Council Bluffs or Sioux City, which are several hours away from the Hy-Vee and Fareway HQ's.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:43 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,059,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Having lived in the South for the better part of a decade, after shopping at Publix, I don't think I could ever step foot in a Hy-Vee again.

Publix stores aren't the cheapest (certainly more expensive than Hy-Vee), but they're universally clean and virtually everyone that works there - from baggers to management - seem to take a lot of pride in their stores. Hy-Vee stores either have the cleanliness and sterility of a nursing home, or are outdated and dingy.

You need to check out the Hy-Vee stores in Cedar Rapids. They've done a beautiful job of remodeling or building new stores the past few years. I like that a lot of their produce is locally grown too.

The one Hy-Vee downtown has been remodeled too and is a huge improvement from before, though still doesn't compare to other Hy-Vee stores in the metro.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:18 PM

30 posts, read 18,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Have you been back to see the remodeled HyVee stores? I like Publix, too. That said, I think they're about same food-wise. HyVee is employee-owned. Publix (Kroger, etc) are not.

I'm missing Meijer. I really wish they would expand into Iowa.
You are wrong. Publix is employee-owned.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:49 AM

96 posts, read 44,659 times
Quote:
Having lived in the South for the better part of a decade, after shopping at Publix, I don't think I could ever step foot in a Hy-Vee again.

Publix stores aren't the cheapest (certainly more expensive than Hy-Vee), but they're universally clean and virtually everyone that works there - from baggers to management - seem to take a lot of pride in their stores. Hy-Vee stores either have the cleanliness and sterility of a nursing home, or are outdated and dingy.
Depends on the store you visit. I went to one in Atlantic and it was straight out of the 1950s. No selection of beer wouldn't honor loyalty card either. The deli had no selection and what was there looked old. The newer ones I think are better than what we have in my new area of Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

Here we have Krogers which is okay and Giant Eagle which is terrible. Prices are sky high their flagship branches are similar to the Atlantic Hy-Vee. For smaller shops around this area they all make Fareway look gourmet and inexpensive.

It is somewhat sad that Hy-Vee sparks so many comments in lieu of all the great things one poster said about Des Moines.

The great thing about Des Moines is there is really nothing great about it and that keeps prices down. It's an okay place to live but nobody is clamoring to come here. It's winters aren't that bad nor are they great. If you like to eat well, drink nice beer, own a home that is fairly priced but not really great it is an okay place to live.

People will bring up the arts and sculpture gardens and a handful of events in Des Moines. This isn't very sincere because you pretty much visit these things as a one off if you live there. It's sort of like Winterset listing the John Wayne museum as one of the many things to do along with the bridges. They are great one time.

I thought over all the people were pretty great. They seemed pretty happy with what they have in Des Moines. they do sometimes get a bit carried away when they start explaining how great the place is though.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:04 PM

391 posts, read 200,385 times
Hy-Vee is pretty decent -- I've never ever felt like anything was dirty or low quality here. But Fresh Thyme and Trader Joe's are so much better. Overall, the price of quality food here is a big benefit. If you come from a place where groceries are more expensive, every trip to the grocery store will feel a bit like a treat.

A couple of other benefits of the area that were previously mentioned before the discussion took off on groceries are the infrastructure and the cycling opportunities. The infrastructure is terrific. A lot of other growing areas struggle with this, and here, it actually feels like there is something of a plan. They're not squeezing 500,000 on a road originally built for 50,000.

Also I don't cycle myself but wow is this a bike friendly place. Tons of trails and bike lanes, and lots of people commute or run errands via bike. I wasn't expecting that when I moved here.

Also it was mentioned in a similar thread that finding a swimming hole for your kids is difficult. Well, this isn't Minnesota and there aren't bodies of water spread everywhere (and I agree about the fertilizer, etc. -- I'd never eat fish caught in an Iowa lake). But, luckily, there are these things called swimming pools. And in the metro area, there are several of them. Because there are several run by the city and its suburbs, swimming opportunities are more accessible than in other places where pools are primarily accessible in higher-end neighborhoods and their HOAs. I appreciate that. Where I lived before, lots of minority kids didn't know how to swim, because they really didn't have much access to a pool, and neither did their parents or the generations before them. Here, that does not seem to be an issue. Plus, I have been surprised at the number of people who have swimming pools in their own backyards -- both above ground and below.

Also, it's not glitzy or glamorous, but it's hard to underestimate the important of a good educational system. The suburbs of Des Moines are all known for their high-quality schools, and the city of Des Moines has lots of options as well for those serious about their studies. The fact that the state has an open enrollment law is also meaningful.

So -- for those that would read this thread, not necessarily the OP as I think they are long gone and a possible troll -- Des Moines is more than a great place to eat and drink beer. It doesn't have all of the offerings of a big city, but it also doesn't have the problems of a big city. For those looking for a mid-size metro with a healthy job market that is a good place to build wealth and/or grow a family, it has quite a few benefits.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:57 AM

2,590 posts, read 2,890,376 times
I like HyVee, but nobody beats Save A Lot on dill pickle spears, lol. I live on the south side, our 3 HyVee stores are in good to excellent shape now. The newly remodeled Southridge store looks great now, used to be kinda dumpy. I like what is happening around the Wakonda shopping plaza on Fleur, with the addition of the new Fareway store, and with the Cash Saver replacing the old Dahls store, which has bargains on produce, frozen juice, deli salads, this was a nice change as well. HyVee isn't too bad, when they're not trying to subvert our state bottle deposit law in some way, and all those catch 22's in the weekly ad you have to watch out for. I usually have my lawyer look it over and consult with me before I go shopping there each week, lol. The new downtown HyVee does not honor the weekly sales ads for the other stores, so I avoid that store completley.

Another great thing that really turns things around in Wakonda, they just opened a new BURGER KING across from HyVee, the first new Burger King built in Des Moines since 1978.

They are doing wonderful things around the Easter Valley neighborhood (formerly named Easter Lake until they refill the lake and change the name back). That will be so nice when they get it all done, 4 miles of trail around the lake, with new beach & swimming, better water quality and deeper lake, so the fishing should be better. It should rival or exceed anything Grays Lake now offers, which is also a nice park, and nearby McRea is getting a makeover too. They are trying to clean up and improve Yeader Creek which feeds Easter Lake, and doing much needed street improvements along McKinley near SE 14th, I presume to enter or exit Home Depot shopping area without having to turn on SE 14th to get out. That will be nice, but I consider the stretch of McKinley from SE 14th to Indy Road to be a tad dangerous with the steep shoulders and curve, and the odd little backroad into Walmart, which is kinda half assed.

Sad to hear the old Kmart on the east side is finally going out of business, I used to go there once in a while to get some good deals on mens clothes and stuff, I bet that store will be missed, as there isn't much of anything else around there for retail shopping.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 AM

7,049 posts, read 8,199,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arton1 View Post
To all of you from Des Moines, what makes your city so wonderful? Seems to appear on so many rankings. Little ol' Des Moines, what is so different/special about your city (in middle of nowehere?)

Thank you in advance,
The fact that it is in Iowa is probably would makes it great to a lot of people. One thing I've noticed about the many friends and family I have in Iowa is that there is a great deal of pride in the state. Seeing as how there are lots of rural towns with no jobs, Des Moines is a place to live while remaining in their beloved state.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 AM

3,268 posts, read 2,369,240 times
I have lived in 3 different states now and every time I come back to Des Moines I find the people, in general, are FAR more friendly than folks in other states. So much so that I'm literally taken back and voice it to my family who still live there.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:56 PM

387 posts, read 480,084 times
Quote:
Hy-Vee sucks. I'm so grateful I live in a town which has a Schnuck's grocery store. They are a Saint Louis-based chain. Definitely not as fancy as a Hy-Vee, but their prices are better and the store isn't so crowded with clueless idiots getting ripped off by a stupid Iowa company.

I'll go to Fareway before I go to Hy-Vee. Fareway's selection is almost laughable, but I enjoy my shopping experiences there much better than Hy-Vee.

Hy-Vee is absolute proof that what PT Barnum said is correct, even in 2018.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:09 PM

96 posts, read 44,659 times
May I ask why you stay if you feel that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or