Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 02:09 PM

164 posts, read 322,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arton1 View Post
To all of you from Des Moines, what makes your city so wonderful? Seems to appear on so many rankings. Little ol' Des Moines, what is so different/special about your city (in middle of nowehere?)

Thank you in advance,
Nothing! It's overpriced and you still have to drive to the surrounding states for something fun to do! TAXES are ridiculous!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 03:21 PM

215 posts, read 283,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Hy-Vee sucks. I'm so grateful I live in a town which has a Schnuck's grocery store. They are a Saint Louis-based chain. Definitely not as fancy as a Hy-Vee, but their prices are better and the store isn't so crowded with clueless idiots getting ripped off by a stupid Iowa company.

I'll go to Fareway before I go to Hy-Vee. Fareway's selection is almost laughable, but I enjoy my shopping experiences there much better than Hy-Vee.

Hy-Vee is absolute proof that what PT Barnum said is correct, even in 2018.
Man, I love Schnucks. Great selection and prices.

What you say about HyVee is dead on. Overpriced, pretentious, with a confused identity. Who wants to "dine" in a noisy grocery store? Someone mentioned their Delusso brand which is just Armor putting lipstick on the pig. They did once have Amana beef which was great but then they dropped it for some store brand. Speaking of which the store brand meats have additives and water added.

We'll choose Fareway over HyVee any day.

Also, the Aldi's across the street from our HyVee carries many of the same brands at a fraction of the cost. If there were Aldi's cousin, Trader Joe's, nearby we'd be all over that as well.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:06 AM

164 posts, read 322,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arton1 View Post
To all of you from Des Moines, what makes your city so wonderful? Seems to appear on so many rankings. Little ol' Des Moines, what is so different/special about your city (in middle of nowehere?)

Thank you in advance,
Nothing! Unless you enjoy higher income tax and property taxes. The DOT does a terrible job on the roads in the winter at least in West Des Moines in the Jordan Creek area.

Transplants aren't easily welcomed. It's very cliquish here!

Old 06-25-2018, 08:26 AM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
Transplants aren't easily welcomed. It's very cliquish here!
I think much of this "welcoming" depends on the personality and friendliness of the "transplant".

Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
I think much of this "welcoming" depends on the personality and friendliness of the "transplant".
I would agree. As I've written, I'm into cycling, and I let it be known that I like to ride on bike trails, and I received an invitation from several ladies, who ride for fitness, within a couple of days, plus invitations to meet for coffee. That was almost 5 years ago, and we still go riding together.

You have to get out and do the activities that interest you, whether that's cycling, church, whatever!

And I still maintain that one will meet higher quality people on the bike trails vs. the bars. Some of the young ladies I know complain they can't meet decent men, but the only place they go is the downtown bars.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
I was able to visit Des Moines this past weekend. While I was only able to visit the city for two days, I was impressed. We were able to explore the downtown area mostly with only one trip to West Des Moines. The amount of new construction, both finished and underway, in Des Moines is impressive. I'm not saying that Des Moines is a small city but it certainly gives the feeling of being in a much larger city.

The people we met were nice and welcoming. The farmers market on Saturday was impressive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines