U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 05:15 PM

60 posts, read 30,453 times

Advertisements

To all of you from Des Moines, what makes your city so wonderful? Seems to appear on so many rankings. Little ol' Des Moines, what is so different/special about your city (in middle of nowehere?)

Thank you in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 4,012 times
^^^ Flamebaiter?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 PM

392 posts, read 599,829 times
Safety, convenience, insane economy, decent cost of living... The metro has a TON of stuff going for it for such a low population too, so that is awesome. There is always stuff to do and see here; the city punches way above its weight class.

Crime in Des Moines itself is a little high as far as totals, but that crime is concentrated really in a couple areas, and the rest of the whole metro is amazingly quiet.

Traffic is not an issue here as Iowa infrastructure is crazy good again for the size of population.

While housing is shooting up in the metro, it's still at least relatively affordable, and other things here are still really cheap.

If you like biking, the bike trails here are EVERYWHERE and you likely could bicycle commute to work if you really wanted to.

The economy is totally nuts here right now, and there are way more jobs than people, and the wages/salaries are shooting up because of this as well.

Lots of awesome breweries if you're into beer.

Excellent farmers market and some good festivals, along with the great state fair.

Dang good shopping too for a place this size, if that's important to you.

AS FOR NEGATIVES (or possible ones, depending on perspective)

Taxes are pretty high (income and property).

Winter is very long and cold, more like Minneapolis than Chicago... and the spring and early summer have some wicked storms at times (you might like these things, so depends on perspective).

Obviously not terribly scenic, being on the northern plains, and many waterways are polluted from agricultural issues. The air stinks at certain times of the year from pig manure too...

Iowa is kinda similar to Minnesota in that it's almost all native Iowans and not a lot of outsiders move here. The culture is similar to Minnesota then, to where it's a LITTLE harder to hit it off with people, but it's ALMOST not really worth mentioning here, because you can eventually make it work; folks are nice in general.

I roll my eyes at the ranking stuff when it comes in, for some reason, but the high rankings are honestly probably warranted. I moved here sight-unseen without doing much research, to help my wife make a career move for a bit, and so that is my outsider-from-Texas opinion. It's been a pretty good place to kinda haphazardly just land in, for sure. I've had some folks from down south come visit, and they've all been extremely surprised at how nice it is. One buddy actually was convinced from a couple weekend visits and MOVED HERE as well, haha.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:33 AM

387 posts, read 479,804 times
It has Zombie Burgers and a couple buildings over 400 feet tall.

Tell me what other city in America has those sorts of amenities?

Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
If I visited Des Moines would I still find a bunch of Spurgins? Or Spurgeon's. With my grandfather the spelling was a thing not to be argued. He was an 'in'. That family came to California and my grandfather became an expert in set design for all those movies we still love today.

I gotta know... what is a zombie burger?

Old 05-18-2018, 03:22 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I gotta know... what is a zombie burger?
A pretty good hamburger! The restaurant itself if zombie-themed. Here's a menu:

Ankeny | Zombie Burger

Old 05-28-2018, 07:16 PM

96 posts, read 44,531 times
Hy-vee and fuelsavers. I was getting my gas almost free when I was using Hy-vee. They run these deals sometimes where for every $30 you spend you get 15 cents off per gallon. So that's the time to buy almost anything you need that won't spoil. Laundry detergent, dishwashing soap etc.

Now in addition to that you often get really good deals on sales at the deli that also have 5 or ten cents per gallon. They also have great prices on beer and many of those have 5 cents on a 6 pack if you like craft or decent beer. The shop in Waukee gives a loyalty card on beer every 6th six pack of beer you buy you get one half price.

Don't forget to get the Dilussi punch card too every 10th pound you get a pound free.Use it to buy roast beef or turkey or something at the higher price points.

Don't get tricked into buying stuff with only 1 or 2 cents per gallon. Only buy things you would otherwise use anyway and pay attention to price. In my case I like deli meats and cheeses and beer. If you smoke they will add that to total spent on the $30 spent 15 cents per gallon deals. Buy as many cartons as you can afford during those times.

You should fill up to twenty gallons nearly free if you use the strategy I was using. I only used a full tank every two weeks when I was doing this so your results won't be as good if you drive more than I did.

Buy a gas tank if you can't use all twenty gallons. I had a 5 gallon tank and filled it when i was full. Good for lawn mowers or whatever.

Hy-vee is the best thing about Des Moines in my opinion especially the Waukee outlet.

I moved to Pittsburgh and gas is simply outrageous and they might give you a ten cent discount on gas which is nothing.

Again you have to play the game right and pay attention to prices.

Sorry for the lengthy rant but I love Hy-vee and our grocery stores out east are so ghetto and terribly expensive.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:51 PM

387 posts, read 479,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post

Hy-vee is the best thing about Des Moines in my opinion especially the Waukee outlet.
That pretty much sums it all up, doesn't it?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,302,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
That pretty much sums it all up, doesn't it?

Having lived in the South for the better part of a decade, after shopping at Publix, I don't think I could ever step foot in a Hy-Vee again.

Publix stores aren't the cheapest (certainly more expensive than Hy-Vee), but they're universally clean and virtually everyone that works there - from baggers to management - seem to take a lot of pride in their stores. Hy-Vee stores either have the cleanliness and sterility of a nursing home, or are outdated and dingy.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:06 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Having lived in the South for the better part of a decade, after shopping at Publix, I don't think I could ever step foot in a Hy-Vee again.
Have you been back to see the remodeled HyVee stores? I like Publix, too. That said, I think they're about same food-wise. HyVee is employee-owned. Publix (Kroger, etc) are not.

I'm missing Meijer. I really wish they would expand into Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or