Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 06:37 PM

17 posts, read 23,166 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for help finding rental apartments, homes, or modular/manufactured homes with 3 bedrooms. 2 if we have to, but the master bedroom needs to be big enough for a king size bed, and a baby's crib. We have 2 animals. A cat, and a crate trained dog. She's about 25lbs. Everything I have seen so far has $100 + deposit for EACH animal, a $200-$500 one time fee for EACH animal, as well as a $25-$35 increase in rent for EACH animal. We are looking to spend $800-$1050 a month, but really hoping more on the lower side (of course. right?) Getting rid of either animal is not an option. Willing to live pretty much in any part of Des Moines and the surrounding area as we will be using the time we are renting to figure out where we want to live long term, and will be buying something as soon as our rental lease expires.

Bonus points if the apartment is in walking distance (1-2 miles) of anything like a park, a library, or anything that my soon to be 12 year old would enjoy, and my not yet born baby will grow to enjoy. lol

Any help at all is highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 11:26 PM

24,595 posts, read 9,430,923 times
It seems you have far too many demands to be a renter. I'm not sure any landlord would agree to all those conditions without a substantial security deposit upfront.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:12 AM

555 posts, read 500,132 times
Besides the pet deposit/rent, a 3/2 for $1K is a tall order. Not just in DSM, but a lot of places, even those considered affordable. We were paying that well over a decade ago (before the recession). And the place did not allow pets at all. I don't really think you'll find it, especially with pets, to be honest.

We moved here recently and rented with pets but found the non-refundable deposits ($200/pet in our case) reasonable. Also the place was in decent shape and the owner clearly wanted to keep it that way and we respected that as renters.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:34 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,599,841 times
OP, you'll need to look for "word-of-mouth" places through your church or other person network to find that sort of deal in the Des Moines Metro. You might look into rentals in the smaller towns, like Indianola, if you are able to commute: prices will be lower for rent but then you have higher gas costs.

It was such a pain finding a rental that I went ahead and bought a house, 4 years ago, and recently, I sold that and got the one I really wanted. I'm glad I went that route because the apartment I would have rented flooded out in the bad rainstorm at the end of July.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:19 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,516,215 times
Default Landlords....!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It seems you have far too many demands to be a renter. I'm not sure any landlord would agree to all those conditions without a substantial security deposit upfront.
Most landlords are greedy by nature.........and they will go the extent of finding any excuse to raise the rent.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,599,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Most landlords are greedy by nature.........and they will go the extent of finding any excuse to raise the rent.
On the other side of the coin, there are some pet owners that don't clean up well after their animals and totally trash an apartment, well beyond what the security deposit covered. I understand why a lot of landlords want all that money up front.

And I didn't agree with that, which was why I got a house. I wasn't about to pay that sort of money for my pets, not to mention all the hoops the landlords wanted me to jump through. It was easier and faster to just buy a place.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:41 PM

75 posts, read 107,050 times
Home ownership might be a better option for you in this case. That price point it is pretty tough to find a pet friendly rental from what I've heard.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:56 PM

17 posts, read 23,166 times
Thanks. I found a few options. Should be moved in around November!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines