Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:58 AM

207 posts, read 213,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
It does seem that most private schools have religious affiliations. I think there are more options for elementary that are non-religious than the upper grades. I know Dowling Catholic is very popular with a lot of Des Moines families as a high school option, but I genuinely don't know anything about its academic rigor - just that it's very large and very popular.

If diversity is very important to your friends, they should at least look into Roosevelt. Waukee and Ankeny have two large high schools (the second HS in Waukee is finishing construction soon), but they will be less diverse than pretty much all the other suburbs and are generally the most affluent. WDM will have more diversity as well.

Sorry, I haven't lived here all that long so I'm really not too much help.
Thanks very much for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
It does seem that most private schools have religious affiliations. I think there are more options for elementary that are non-religious than the upper grades. I know Dowling Catholic is very popular with a lot of Des Moines families as a high school option, but I genuinely don't know anything about its academic rigor - just that it's very large and very popular.

If diversity is very important to your friends, they should at least look into Roosevelt. Waukee and Ankeny have two large high schools (the second HS in Waukee is finishing construction soon), but they will be less diverse than pretty much all the other suburbs and are generally the most affluent. WDM will have more diversity as well.

Sorry, I haven't lived here all that long so I'm really not too much help.
I'd like to tack on to the discussion about the religious private schools. In Sioux Falls SD where I'm at our city's Catholic high school is Bishop O'Gorman. It's a very similar situation as Dowling is in Des Moines.

Even though it's affiliated with the Catholic religion, the student body is made up of many religions. I've heard from quite a few different people that the % of non-Catholics attending the school is somewhere in the 30-40 percent range. The religion aspect isn't rammed down every students throat here, and I doubt it is in Des Moines either. The non-Catholic parents are sending their kids there for education and to avoid the many situations that the public schools in today's world are unable to control.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'd like to tack on to the discussion about the religious private schools. In Sioux Falls SD where I'm at our city's Catholic high school is Bishop O'Gorman. It's a very similar situation as Dowling is in Des Moines.

Even though it's affiliated with the Catholic religion, the student body is made up of many religions. I've heard from quite a few different people that the % of non-Catholics attending the school is somewhere in the 30-40 percent range. The religion aspect isn't rammed down every students throat here, and I doubt it is in Des Moines either. The non-Catholic parents are sending their kids there for education and to avoid the many situations that the public schools in today's world are unable to control.
Interesting.

I have to wonder about the private/religious schools though when I see something like this on the Des Moines Christian School website:

"Parents desiring to send students to DMCS are in a Biblical marriage which is defined as a covenant relationship between one man and one woman. Single parents or guardians are in a Biblical relationship."

Makes you wonder what values they're teaching within the school. I know right now that this philosophy will not fly for my friend. Her family isn't far left, but they are certainly in the liberal category. The rejection of children from same sex parents is a show stopper.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
Interesting.

I have to wonder about the private/religious schools though when I see something like this on the Des Moines Christian School website:

"Parents desiring to send students to DMCS are in a Biblical marriage which is defined as a covenant relationship between one man and one woman. Single parents or guardians are in a Biblical relationship."

Makes you wonder what values they're teaching within the school. I know right now that this philosophy will not fly for my friend. Her family isn't far left, but they are certainly in the liberal category. The rejection of children from same sex parents is a show stopper.
Totally different religious school environment at the schools like Des Moines Christion, Pella Christian, AND Sioux Falls Christian than you'd find at the Catholic schools.

These Christian schools often claim to be non-denominational, but believe me that they are not. They are primarily run by the Netherlands Reformed, Christian Reformed, and/or First Reformed churches. These schools/churches are Calvinist with the majority of the people involved being Dutch. I'm pretty comfortable in saying that at least 90% of the students in these schools are members of one of these 3 Dutch connected churches.

These churches continuously teach their view of Christianity in the classrooms. I wouldn't recommend them to your friends considering everything you've posted. The education there will be very good, but if you're not one of the "approved" religions your kids will experience being 2nd fiddle at various different times AND if they don't agree with the teaching that's being pounded into them, they'll be prayed for.

I'm VERY aware of what these schools are all about. These schools and churches make up my father's heritage.

You're right, your friends would NOT fit there. I would consider Dowling though.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Totally different religious school environment at the schools like Des Moines Christion, Pella Christian, AND Sioux Falls Christian than you'd find at the Catholic schools.

These Christian schools often claim to be non-denominational, but believe me that they are not. They are primarily run by the Netherlands Reformed, Christian Reformed, and/or First Reformed churches. These schools/churches are Calvinist with the majority of the people involved being Dutch. I'm pretty comfortable in saying that at least 90% of the students in these schools are members of one of these 3 Dutch connected churches.

These churches continuously teach their view of Christianity in the classrooms. I wouldn't recommend them to your friends considering everything you've posted. The education there will be very good, but if you're not one of the "approved" religions your kids will experience being 2nd fiddle at various different times AND if they don't agree with the teaching that's being pounded into them, they'll be prayed for.

I'm VERY aware of what these schools are all about. These schools and churches make up my father's heritage.

You're right, your friends would NOT fit there. I would consider Dowling though.
Thank you for clarifying... the comment about being prayed for made me laugh!

Dowling is high school, right? What about elementary/middle schools?

Are there any private schools in the area that do NOT have religious affiliations?

The family would really prefer public schools. Doesn't sound like there's a huge difference between the suburban schools they're considering?

They're accustomed to the best of the best schools being ranked (though it's splitting hairs a bit), so it might just be a new mentality for them?

Old 08-01-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying... the comment about being prayed for made me laugh!

Dowling is high school, right? What about elementary/middle schools?

Are there any private schools in the area that do NOT have religious affiliations?

The family would really prefer public schools. Doesn't sound like there's a huge difference between the suburban schools they're considering?

They're accustomed to the best of the best schools being ranked (though it's splitting hairs a bit), so it might just be a new mentality for them?
Dowling is high school. I'm sorry, I don't live there though my oldest daughter lives just south in a very nice community called Indianola. Population around 15,000.

The other questions I can't answer. Someone who lives there is more qualified to answer those.

Best of luck in finding a school that fits their needs. Keep in mind, they're not moving to Appalachia. Iowa is an extremely well run state compared to the rest of the United States. On a whole, not comparing to the exclusive neighborhood your friends apparently live in, Iowa's education I would put above the state of Illinois.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:01 PM

27 posts, read 43,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post

For better or worse, in my observation Iowan culture is content to be average, and your friend will not find the kind of competitive atmosphere of a New Trier here. Not saying this as a discouragement, just something that will require a different approach.

This. Iowa schools occupy a much smaller spectrum that most other states' schools. Example: New Trier is #306 on US News and World Report's Best High Schools List. The top Iowa school is Ames, at #916.

Illinois has 46 schools in the Top 1000. Iowa has 1.

Iowa just doesn't have THAT level of academic aggressiveness on THAT scale.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspiggies View Post

Yes, and I think that is the biggest concern for them at this point.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:28 PM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times
Quote:
Yes, and I think that is the biggest concern for them at this point.
My advice for them would be to contact each of the suburban districts and inquire specifically about the gifted programs, and go for whichever looks like the best fit.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspiggies View Post
This. Iowa schools occupy a much smaller spectrum that most other states' schools. Example: New Trier is #306 on US News and World Report's Best High Schools List. The top Iowa school is Ames, at #916.

Illinois has 46 schools in the Top 1000. Iowa has 1.

I'm shocked that the best IA can do is ~900. Even freakin' Mississippi has some higher-rated schools than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines