Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 02:16 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times

Advertisements

It turns out that the op's visit and inquiry was a "1 and done" event both here and overall on City-data. As such, there's no compelling or urgent need to think in terms of answering anything he asked about but if members want to discuss Ankeny, it's certainly an available topic.

A star in Iowa in terms of population growth, Ankeny is now neck and neck with West Des Moines for holding the title of largest suburb in metro Des Moines.
The 1st link below is from the city of Ankeny and notes an estimated population of 67,000 for the year 2019. Going beyond that estimate, I have a personal hunch that it will barely surpass West Des Moines and come close to if not just beyond the 70,000 mark for the 2020 census count. Exact data should be available in August.

Ankeny's growth is nothing new but is now at a white hot level with a 2010-2020 decade numerical increase of over 20,000 quite probable.

I can recall while on a car trip to Des Moines when I was around 7 or 8 (circa 1962) that my elder brother who has had a lifelong demographic interest that far surpasses my own, announced Ankeny's exact population figure to my family when we entered it via U.S. 69 on it's north side. The memory of that exact figure escapes me now but the 1960 census data reveals that it was at approximately 2,000. The 2010 census placed Ankeny at 45,582.

The growth of Ankeny is certainly at a torrid pace as compared to Iowa standards but looking beyond Iowa into it's neighbors for an accurate perspective of how fast Ankeny is growing, it's helpful to know that there are only a few cities in those neighboring states with a faster recent numerical increase.
My own research shows that they are:

Minneapolis
St. Paul (maybe)
Sioux Falls, S.D.
Omaha
Lincoln
Kansas City (Mo.)
Madison

Each of those cities are urban centers that stand at the core of their metro areas and are all much larger than Ankeny. From that viewpoint, it is no wonder that Ankeny has regularly been featured in "fasting growing" small cities press releases put out by the Census Bureau.

The bottom line is that there are no suburban cities found amongst Iowa's neighbors that can compare to Ankeny's rapid numerical growth. And considering that Iowa overall is a slow-to-modest grower as a state, that is a remarkable fact!
Iowa's new 2020 census count revealed that during the prior decade it grew faster than Illinois, Wisconsin & Missouri in percentage terms while trailing Minnesota, Nebraska and South Dakota.

For more perspective, because of the rapid fall off of population as one heads west through the far eastern portions of Iowa's smaller plains state neighbors of Nebraska and South Dakota on it's immediate western border, Ankeny (and West Des Moines) are large enough that they would be the 3rd and 4th largest cities in both Nebraska and South Dakota were they located in those states. Such is the situation of the remarkable suburban development in metro Des Moines that really took off like a rocket since the 1990 census count.
That situation is compounded when Ames, which is only 20 odd miles north of Ankeny and is only slightly smaller than both Ankeny and West Des Moines in population, is added into the central Iowa mix.
Performing the same comparative feat by adding Ames into that Nebraska and South Dakota comparison, with it's approximate population 66,000, it is a fact that Ames would be the 5th largest city in both Nebraska and South Dakota.
The situation would thus stand as:

1. Omaha 2. Lincoln 3. West Des Moines 4. Ankeny 5. Ames

2. Sioux Falls, S.D. 2. Rapid City 3. West Des Moines 4. Ankeny 5. Ames

And because we can do it and the data supports it, Urbandale on the northwest side of Des Moines with it's population of approximately 44,000 would be at 6. rank in South Dakota if added into the comparative mix.

https://www.ankenyiowa.gov/Home/Comp.../News/News/988

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Nebraska

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_South_Dakota

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ties/minnesota

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Missouri

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ities/illinois

Last edited by atler8; 06-17-2021 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 08:18 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
It turns out that the op's visit and inquiry was a "1 and done" event both here and overall on City-data. As such, there's no compelling or urgent need to think in terms of answering anything he asked about but if members want to discuss Ankeny, it's certainly an available topic.

A star in Iowa in terms of population growth, Ankeny is now neck and neck with West Des Moines for holding the title of largest suburb in metro Des Moines.
The 1st link below is from the city of Ankeny and notes an estimated population of 67,000 for the year 2019. Going beyond that estimate, I have a personal hunch that it will barely surpass West Des Moines and come close to if not just beyond the 70,000 mark for the 2020 census count. Exact data should be available in August.

Ankeny's growth is nothing new but is now at a white hot level with a 2010-2020 decade numerical increase of over 20,000 quite probable.

I can recall while on a car trip to Des Moines when I was around 7 or 8 (circa 1962) that my elder brother who has had a lifelong demographic interest that far surpasses my own, announced Ankeny's exact population figure to my family when we entered it via U.S. 69 on it's north side. The memory of that exact figure escapes me now but the 1960 census data reveals that it was at approximately 2,000. The 2010 census placed Ankeny at 45,582.

The growth of Ankeny is certainly at a torrid pace as compared to Iowa standards but looking beyond Iowa into it's neighbors for an accurate perspective of how fast Ankeny is growing, it's helpful to know that there are only a few cities in those neighboring states with a faster recent numerical increase.
My own research shows that they are:

Minneapolis
St. Paul (maybe)
Sioux Falls, S.D.
Omaha
Lincoln
Kansas City (Mo.)
Madison

Each of those cities are urban centers that stand at the core of their metro areas and are all much larger than Ankeny. From that viewpoint, it is no wonder that Ankeny has regularly been featured in "fasting growing" small cities press releases put out by the Census Bureau.

The bottom line is that there are no suburban cities found amongst Iowa's neighbors that can compare to Ankeny's rapid numerical growth. And considering that Iowa overall is a slow-to-modest grower as a state, that is a remarkable fact!
Iowa's new 2020 census count revealed that during the prior decade it grew faster than Illinois, Wisconsin & Missouri in percentage terms while trailing Minnesota, Nebraska and South Dakota.

For more perspective, because of the rapid fall off of population as one heads west through the far eastern portions of Iowa's smaller plains state neighbors of Nebraska and South Dakota on it's immediate western border, Ankeny (and West Des Moines) are large enough that they would be the 3rd and 4th largest cities in both Nebraska and South Dakota were they located in those states. Such is the situation of the remarkable suburban development in metro Des Moines that really took off like a rocket since the 1990 census count.
That situation is compounded when Ames, which is only 20 odd miles north of Ankeny and is only slightly smaller than both Ankeny and West Des Moines in population, is added into the central Iowa mix.
Performing the same comparative feat by adding Ames into that Nebraska and South Dakota comparison, with it's approximate population 66,000, it is a fact that Ames would be the 5th largest city in both Nebraska and South Dakota.
The situation would thus stand as:

1. Omaha 2. Lincoln 3. West Des Moines 4. Ankeny 5. Ames

2. Sioux Falls, S.D. 2. Rapid City 3. West Des Moines 4. Ankeny 5. Ames

And because we can do it and the data supports it, Urbandale on the northwest side of Des Moines with it's population of approximately 44,000 would be at 6. rank in South Dakota if added into the comparative mix.

https://www.ankenyiowa.gov/Home/Comp.../News/News/988

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Nebraska

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_South_Dakota

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ties/minnesota

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Missouri

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ities/illinois
Very interesting stats. Ankeny, W. Des Moines, and Ames would all be easily the 3rd largest city in SD which is currently Aberdeen (only around 26,000). In SD we have a city who's % of growth even surpasses Ankeny. Harrisburg, SD was only 727 people in 1990. The estimated population is over 10,000 with well over a 100 acres of new development going on right now.

Des Moines metro area's growth is astounding. Waukee like Ankeny has exploded as well. A town that's maintained slow, but steady growth is Indianola. It to me is the best kept secret for the Des Moines area as everyone seems to look west and north.

Last edited by jmgg; 06-18-2021 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-21-2021, 09:05 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Indianola is officially part of the DSM metro, but doesn't feel like an actual suburb (Grimes has transformed from bedroom community to actual suburb, and Bondurant is in the process of doing so). I don't get the same vibe about Indianola - it definitely still has the 'sleepy college town' feel and really isn't a whole lot larger than it was 30 years ago. I do think it's possible (maybe even probable) that the bulk of the US 65 corridor will be filled in between Indianola and Norwalk in my lifetime (I'm pushing 40) but right now it doesn't feel any more of a suburb than Newton, Huxley, or Woodward.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:29 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Default Des Moine faces extreme measure to find clean water

Might want to consider the quality of water also. And make sure you have enough home insurance to cover a possible derecho in Des Moines. In Cedar Rapids we are still struggling to recover from last summer’s derecho.

Concerning water in Des Moines ...

https://www.kcci.com/article/des-moi...water/36923044 s.

... Water Works for years has tried to force or cajole farmers upstream to reduce the runoff of fertilizer that leaves the rivers with sky-high nitrate levels but lawsuits and legislative lobbying have failed. Now, it’s considering a drastic measure that, as a rule, large cities just don’t do — drilling wells to find clean water.

Small communities and individuals use wells, but large U.S. metro areas have always relied primarily on rivers and lakes for the large volumes of water needed. Surface sources provide about 70% of fresh water in the U.S., as a reliance on wells for big populations would otherwise quickly deplete aquifers.

However, the utility in Des Moines is planning to spend up to $30 million to drill wells to mix in pure water when the rivers have especially high nitrate levels from farm runoff, most likely in the summer.

“After spending $18 million over the last two decades on a system to treat the tainted river water, it’s frustrating to pay out millions more for something other cities wouldn’t imagine, say utility officials.

“I look at it in disbelief,” said Ted Corrigan, the CEO and general manager of Water Works.

Des Moines has become an extreme example of the conflict over clean water between agriculture and cities in farm states with minimal regulation.”

Old 07-09-2021, 02:53 PM

Some of you may remember the pushback the Des Moines Water Works received on the issue of urban water quality versus ag runoff pollution about 4 years ago from Randy Feenstra when he was in the Iowa Legislature representing Sioux County way up in far northwest Iowa.
At that time the Des Moines Water Works system went public about the increasing difficulty & expenses they were encountering and incurring in their effort to purify the rising levels of pollutants from ag runoff so as to bring a clean, quality water product to their customers in metro Des Moines.

Feenstra said that if Des Moines advocated for stronger measures to help bring the ag runoff pollution levels down, that the City of Des Moines should be boycotted by farmers and rural Iowans.

As it happens, Feenstra now has far more power given that he is in the U.S. House representing western & north Central Iowa in Congress.
Good luck to Des Moines and other city dwellers given that it's patently clear that Feenstra does not give an ounce of care or concern to the problems or costs that ag runoff pollution brings to urban Iowans, and specifically the customers of the Des Moines Water Works system.
It should be obvious that Ankeny, on the north side of Des Moines, is similarly in the same bad position as is Des Moines in terms of this issue.

Last edited by atler8; 07-09-2021 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: added a sentence I had left off

Old 07-09-2021, 07:25 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Some of you may remember the pushback the Des Moines Water Works received on the issue of urban water quality versus ag runoff pollution about 4 years ago from Randy Feenstra when he was in the Iowa Legislature representing Sioux County way up in far northwest Iowa.
At that time the Des Moines Water Works system went public about the increasing difficulty & expenses they were encountering and incurring in their effort to purify the rising levels of pollutants from ag runoff so as to bring a clean, quality water product to their customers in metro Des Moines.

Feenstra said that if Des Moines advocated for stronger measures to help bring the ag runoff pollution levels down, that the City of Des Moines should be boycotted by farmers and rural Iowans.

As it happens, Feenstra now has far more power given that he is in the U.S. House representing western & north Central Iowa in Congress.
Good luck to Des Moines and other city dwellers given that it's patently clear that Feenstra does not give an ounce of care or concern to the problems or costs that ag runoff pollution brings to urban Iowans, and specifically the customers of the Des Moines Water Works system.
It should be obvious that Ankeny, on the north side of Des Moines, is similarly in the same bad position as is Des Moines in terms of this issue.

I would have thought that those concerned about clean drinking water for themselves and their children might have outnumbered at the voting polls those who put profits before people. Is there a problem with voter apathy in Des Moines?

Old 07-11-2021, 05:43 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,211 times
In my opinion many Iowans (not just in Des Moines) are very loyal to politicians connected to powerful Big Ag and their interests. No matter how much the research scientists at the University of Iowa warns the public about the dirty waters many Iowans stand with their politicians. It’s a constant battle and voters vote about 50-50. In Iowa City the rowing team at the University of Iowa have to deal with the dirty river they practice in. It’s a disgrace and no wonder the state Iowa is losing their brightest young professionals.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:25 AM

Default Retired and thinking abotu Ankeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I would have thought that those concerned about clean drinking water for themselves and their children might have outnumbered at the voting polls those who put profits before people. Is there a problem with voter apathy in Des Moines?
I just came back here and found your question posed to me and also smpliving's's post of this morning which pretty much sums up what the situation is like in Iowa, Rachel.

The correct answer to your question here is very political in nature but it's the reality Rachel, so here goes with more depth:

It's not voter apathy in Des Moines but rather the power of big ag in rural and small town/city Iowa that is absolutely totally in sync with the republican Party. And that bloc is almost singleminded in it's voting patterns which overwhelms the urban vote that wants pollution issues dealt with.

Even though Iowa is easily majority urban in population breakdown, the power of big ag and the heavily dominant right wing political messaging in the media found throughout Iowa makes it almost impossible to cross the interests of big ag which are now intimately intertwined with the republican party, i.e. the Farm Bureau, etc..
I can listen to WHO am radio from Des Moines down here in Atlanta at night. I am thus reminded of how it is COMPLETELY right wing in it's talk format with no exceptions.
Decades ago when I grew up in Iowa, that station played it's own talk programs which originated in their Des Moines studio and which were very diverse in terms of the opinions presented as a contrast to the nationally syndicated right wing shows that they air today. That is a big downside of WHO radio not being locally owned anymore. The station itself now has no say in the syndication choices made for it it by it's out of state corporate masters.
Way back in my youth in Iowa, the understood thing was that farmers would sit in the cabs of their huge combines, etc. and listen to WHO because it was for decades the dominant radio voice in Iowa. That is still largely the case today so the right wing viewpoint is constantly shoved down the throats of it's audience.

Beyond that, I won't even go into mentioning the tv opinion network that dominates Iowa viewing and how ONE viewpoint is thus pounded into the heads of Iowans.

So, in a nutshell, there you have it! Des Moines and urban Iowa (including Ankeny which is the original topic of this thread) are screwed in terms of getting anything done to solve or mitigate the ag runoff pollution problem because at this point in time, Iowa is rapidly shifting from it's long-held status as "purple" state politically speaking over into being a "red state". The legislature as it is presently constituted will NEVER budge on this issue and stand up to big ag or even think of working on an equitable compromise.
Add in the power & voice of elected officials like republican Congressman Randy Feenstra who I mentioned the other day had talked of a boycott of Des Moines on the ag runoff pollution issue, and it's a pretty bleak outlook.
I can see how unacceptable water quality could potentially be the dark cloud that undermines the growth of metro Des Moines which along w/ metro Iowa City are almost singlehandedly keeping Iowa's population growth in the moderately positive range.

I grew up as a conservative young Republican but morphed politically over time & can now recognize how that in Iowa and elsewhere anything pragmatic that hints at "compromise" is largely DOA. The gop as it is now constituted, generally considers a pragmatic "compromise" in terms of legislation to be a dirty word and unacceptable. As such, the ag pollution issue will not be dealt with.

Last edited by atler8; 07-11-2021 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: corrected punctuation

Old 07-11-2021, 10:32 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
I think atler pretty much nailed it there.

There is a definite urban/rural divide in the state, but that isn’t unique to Iowa. For a state that is rapidly urbanizing and small towns are declining everywhere, the ag industry still has a lot of power. And don’t forget that a lot of folks living in Iowa suburbs originally hail from small town Iowa, and not Chicago or KC or the East Coast. Not many folks from outside the state are moving in, with the exception of immigrant labor and refugees. And many of them don’t show up for Election Day so their voices really aren’t heard.

I myself generally lean conservative - I believe in the capitalist system (though I do think corporations need more regulations/restrictions - a CEO shouldn’t be earning two hundred times what an entry level position pays. I can see twenty). I no longer have a firearm (haven’t hunted in decades), but I agree with the second amendment. That said, your average Joe doesn’t need to have access to assault rifles and military-grade equipment. Shotguns, .22 caliber rifles, and handguns are plenty for hunting or personal protection.

Mainly I’m a small town person at heart and believe in small town values, but that also includes treating others with respect and respecting other opinions even if I don’t always agree with them. Liberals and conservatives alike are guilty of the “my way or the highway” mantra - compromise is quickly becoming a lost art form.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:57 PM

Default Retired and thinking of moving out of NJ, thinking of Ankeny

Here's an update with very new data on Ankeny which contains the estimate that it has now passed West Des Moines in population and hit the 70,000 mark and is now the largest suburb and thusly the 2nd largest city in the Des Moines-West Des Moines metro area.
The metro name for the region generally used by the census bureau anyway, calls it Des Moines-West Des Moines.
(Wonder if a name change will be forthcoming in view of the new population ranking?)
Those of you who have followed or recall this thread may remember that I mentioned earlier on of how my older brother who was already then a demographics fan, told us of Ankeny's 1960 census population of 2,000 or so when we drove through it in the early 1960's as we headed to Des Moines on U.S. 69. There was no I-35 in the area at that time.
Growing from 2 going on up to 70, 000 in that time span is pretty remarkable for Iowa and for the more recent decades, it would even rank as a growth leader among suburbs in most of Iowa's neighboring states.

As the news piece linked here shows, the new 1 year population change estimates for the rest of Iowa are mostly poor to awful.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...21/9943853002/

Last edited by atler8; 06-03-2022 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: added to a sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines