U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 AM

17 posts, read 42,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
The biggest race problem in Iowa anymore is the economic disconnct between whites and blacks. Iowa has one of the highest jobless rates for blacks of almost states after Minnesota and Michigan, according to a recent Des Moines Register article.

I haven't heard about cross burnings or large scale waves of racially motivated hate crimes against blacks since the early or mid 1990's in any part of Iowa. Dubuque once had an issue with hate crimes against blacks almost two decades ago, but all seems quiet on that front anymore. There are still problems here, but nothing like you'll find in the deep south and certainly not as open or blantant as you see down there.
I'm on these boards browsing through the different cities to see the opinions and views of the people that live there, to kind of get an idea of whether or not I'd like to live there. Des Moines is one of those cities, so let me just add my two cents. I am from New Jersey, but am a senior at a majority white, conservative university in the DEEP south and I can tell you from experience, that there are NOT that many race issues here and certainly not as much violence as you'd think -- especially not white on black. I have seen both ends of the spectrum, both as a northerner and as a southern transplant and I can tell you that your statement about racial violence still being a huge issue here could not be further from the truth. Violence still exists, don't get me wrong, but it is usually NOT interracial. I know it has nothing to do with Iowa, just thought I'd let you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:17 AM

580 posts, read 1,337,497 times
I don't live in the south but I've been there enough to know that bigotry and hate crime seems to be much more prevalent in the deep south. I have family in Eastern Texas and Western Louisiana. The people there by and large practice way more biggorty than what I've seen in Iowa. I've spent weeks in a little Texas town not far from JASPER, TEXAS--home of one of the most shocking modern racially motivated hate crimes in this nation.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Perhaps I worded my response wrong. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, because it definitely does, but it's not as prominent as it used to be. I'm a hop, skip, and a jump away from what was the headquarters for the civil rights movement. I know it exists. I've never been to Texas, so I don't know what it's like there, I only know what it's like where I am. I guess we have different experiences, so I'll attribute our disagreements on this subject to that fact. Sorry for the confusion!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:07 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,948,139 times
You guys are done talking about issues that do not relate to Iowa, right?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
You guys are done talking about issues that do not relate to Iowa, right?
Yes, sorry.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 11 days ago)

31,555 posts, read 37,289,257 times
As far as Des Moines, what parts of the city would a person associate certain ethnic or racial groups with?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Des Moines (proper) is really a pretty racially integrated city in comparison to other cities of similar scope. Historically, there are pockets of racial or relgious enclaves. Blacks have historically had concentrations in the near north side and a small neighborhood on the east side east of downtown. Jewish people were concentrated on the west side of Des Moines. Hispanics have a primary concentration and a business cluster on the east/SE side of town. Italians and even Russians historically on the south side of town. Even within these concentrated areas, you today have a pretty integrated neighborhoods. If you would compare some of the more racially diverse neighborhoods north of downtown, you don't find a solid majority of one race. Asians, which Des Moines actually has a solid percentage of, are scattered all over the city. Bosnians have recently been attracted to the NW portion of town but are again scattered all over. Lately there seems to have been more of an influx of African immigrants, particularly Nigerians and Somali's and are again found all over the city. The suburbs are not factored into this equation.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 PM

337 posts, read 1,063,886 times
I have noticed the African immigrants ... what is attracting them here?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 AM

1,744 posts, read 4,948,139 times
[quote=DMRyan;5610422].
Quote:
Italians and even Russians historically on the south side of town.
I think you mean Croatians, perhaps. Most of the people who settled the South Side were coal mining and railroad folks. Italians, Croatians, Welsh, Irish, Mexicans, etc. I don't think there's much of a Russian influence around here.

Quote:
Lately there seems to have been more of an influx of African immigrants, particularly Nigerians and Somali's and are again found all over the city. The suburbs are not factored into this equation
I thought most of the African immigrants were from Sudan. I've heard of some Nigerians around here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
I have noticed the African immigrants ... what is attracting them here?
I don't think anything is really attracting them here. I think it's more of an issue of the Luthern Church's charities bringing them here and they're just going with the flow. It's kind of a sore spot with me. They'll foot the bill to bring them over and get them set up, then feel good about themselves for doing the Lord's work and after that it's up to me as a taxpayer to subsidize the Luthern's warm fuzzies from there on out via welfare, public health care, school, etc as the rates of African immigrants using public assistance is very high. I don't know, I just don't think it's very cool of the Lutherns to do this to those of us who don't feel any spiritual calling to bring them over here.

Anyways, as far as Des Moines and racial/ethnic groups go:

Southeast: Lower/Middle class Whites, Italian, Mexican/Central American, Southeast Asian, Blacks in the rental properties.

Southwest: Middle/upper class Whites, older Whites, Italians (not that they're not White, but they're distinct enough)

East: Lower/middle class Whites, Hispanics, Blacks close to downtown.

Northeast: Lower/middle class Whites, Blacks, Southeast Asians

Northwest: Middle class Whites. Bosnians, some Hispanics. I believe you will also find a very small Greek contingent here.

West: Affluent Whites, Jews, Blacks. I believe most non-Bosnian Muslims live around the Drake area, as that's where most of their businesses are.

Everyone else is pretty much scattered. I'm not sure exactly where our Polish, Chinese, Indians, etc. are centrally located. I suppose it's also important to note that Des Moines is about 80% White, so some of these ethnic/racial neighborhoods aren't going to be very big, just enough to note a presence of these groups.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 AM

You are correct Rhino, the SE 6th and E. Hartford area (Sevastapol) was home to Welsh coal miners, not Russians. The latest influx of African immigrants is definitely Somalian. They've been setting up a few churches around town as they get settled.

The Census Bureau says that the City of Des Moines proper was 75% white in 2000. I'm sure that percentage has gone down even more in the ensuing years. Des Moines proper is probably much more diverse than many give it credit for and certainly more so than the stereotype about the place being almost all white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines