U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should Des Moines have a sub forum?
Yes 21 56.76%
No 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 PM

600 posts, read 645,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Once DesMoines has one CR, Davenport, Waterloo, Dubuque will all want one too. I say leave it the way it is. It isn't like life in Des Moines different from any other city in Iowa. It's pretty much an overgrown Waterloo, Cedar Rapids or Davenport.
Huh? I thought you said Des Moines has a one-industry economy while Cedar Rapids is so lucky to have all those manufacturing jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,923,415 times
Quote:
Once DesMoines has one CR, Davenport, Waterloo, Dubuque will all want one too. I say leave it the way it is. It isn't like life in Des Moines different from any other city in Iowa. It's pretty much an overgrown Waterloo, Cedar Rapids or Davenport.
yeah...that's why Kiplinger's named it the 9th best city to raise a family.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM

The only way I see Cedar Rapids getting a sub-forum is if it also included Iowa City. The Cedar Rapids-Iowa City forum. Otherwise Des Moines is the only city in Iowa that could get a sub-forum.

And zz, how is Des Moines so similar to all those other Iowa cities, only bigger? You were always saying before about how Des Moines lacks industry compared to Cedar Rapids, and now it's suddenly an overgrown Cedar Rapids?

Last edited by Stevie; 06-01-2008 at 10:07 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 23,984 times
Quote:
They have internet access in Waterpoo?

Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM

396 posts, read 1,088,885 times
I voted no because Des Moines isn't the dominant metro in the state like say Omaha or Chicago are in their states. The metro is less than double the QC metro, and the city itself has less than double the population of the city of Cedar Rapids. Obviously its the capital city, the largest city, and has an insanely great skyline for its size, but people on the east side of Iowa tend to overlook it a lot.

Also, the threads on the Iowa forum aren't always mostly DSM-based, although right now quite a few are.

On the other hand, if there had to be a subforum, it would definitely be DSM, and I don't think we would need more than one.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,980,771 times
Quote:

Des Moines has completely unique circustances that seperate itself from all other Iowa cities, and while the other Iowa cities have a good future ahead of them, the city of Des Moines is on a tear right now near the equivalent of Omaha, Austin, and other rapidly progressing cities..

This is another reason why Des Moines is the best potential for a sub-forum, it's development all over the place is rather furocious and the growth rate of the city is at double the national average and is higher than the average sunbelt mid-sized city..

While the other Iowa cities are awesome communities, you have to give Des Moines the credit that it deserves as it is, like Omaha, rapidly approaching to become a large, american-cultural mecca, let alone Iowa's cultural mecca..

Old 06-02-2008, 05:34 PM

Iowa City and Dubuque are on tears of their own, and Iowa City is arguably more of a cultural mecca than Des Moines. I would also argue that aside from the big money donations like the sculpture garden, there are several cities in Iowa with arts scenes that rival Des Moines.

I like DSM, but I think sometimes people in the metro and to the west overestimate its dominance in the state. If Chicago wasn't 2 hours to the east, Des Moines would be booming even more than it is, because it would be the place to go for big city amenities for the huge chunk of the Iowa population that lives on the east side of the state. Unfortunately for DSM, Chicago is the dominant city over here, rather than our own state capital.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 PM

I disagree. I think that Des Moines being more remote is one of the things that helps it grow faster. If it was closer to Chicago then it may suffer more problems the way a lot of other cities near Chicago do. Cities further west tend to grow a lot faster.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 PM

I wasn't really implying it would be better for Des Moines to be closer to Chicago. I was saying that if Eastern Iowa was closer to DSM than Chicago, Des Moines would be doing even better. Instead when we want a bigger city experience, most people go east instead of west.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,923,415 times
I agree with your assessment Quadcity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines