U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:29 PM

238 posts, read 438,417 times
PrincessMia is right. Chickens need love too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessMia View Post
I LOATHE people who hate animals and who try to do right by raising their family on ORGANIC food. \.

I don't think you worded that one quite right.

...and for the record, I don't hate animals and have nothing against organic food - I'm a CSA member myself. I'd just rather not have roosters wandering around my neighborhood.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,727,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I don't think you worded that one quite right.

I'll take a stab at rewording to make sense in the context that I believe the good princess was trying to say.

Original:
I LOATHE people who hate animals and who try to do right by raising their family on ORGANIC food. \.

Translation:
I hate people who hate animals. I also hate those who look down on those of us who love animals so much that we want to allow them to run in our yards so we can personally care for them before we kill them and eat them.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,727,073 times
Cedars Rapids is showing some love...

Cedar Rapids OKs backyard chickens | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM

383 posts, read 796,227 times
I would hope any neighbor of mine would never have barn yard animals; city ordinance or no. If I had to put up with chickens or whatever I would patiently put up with them until they made a lot of noise. Then, I would take them out with my pellet gun.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:23 PM

11 posts, read 18,098 times
I used to live next to a rooster ****-a-doodling all the time and it was so annoying! I'm sure it's illegal in LA and why they owned rooster(s) is a mystery to me.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
You only need hens for eggs. Just keep hens and no roosters = no noise = no upset neighbors. This is the city regulation in most places that need such things - I think. The eggs are so much better than store bought that people get spoiled, plus, they love their chickens! How about let's all get some goats too?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 6,550 times
Thought this would help . . .

chickenlaws.html

IA
Cedar Rapids, IA. Cedar Rapids passed a chicken ordinance in Sept. 2010. Up to 6 hens, no roosters. Coops must be 10 feet from the lot line, 25 feet from an occupied building and in the backyard (which is 25 feet from the street). $25 annual fee. Must band hens with ID bracelets provided by the city. Must take a chicken-keeping class that follows the city's approved syllabus of content before getting hens. (Do you have to take a dog or cat-keeping class in this town? Doubtful.)
Clive, IA. No more than 12 chickens on lots less than 1.5 acres. Must be 150 feet from homes and 50 feet from property line.
Davenport, IA. Chickens not allowed, unless property is zoned as agricultural.
Des Moines, IA. Lots smaller than 1 acre, up to 30 birds; lots 1 acre or larger, up to 50 birds. Not allowed in the front yard, and must be at least 25' from neighbors.
Johnston, IA. "No...chickens shall be allowed to run at large within the corporate limits of the city..."
Sioux City, IA. Permit required. No roosters over 4 months old. No more than 50 birds total. Must be at least 25' from the home and at least 150' from neighboring homes. Urbandale, IA. Chickens must be kept at least 150 feet from any dwelling.
West Des Moines, IA. Chickens may not "run at large."
Windsor Heights, IA. No more than 2 chickens allowed; must be kept in a coop at all times. Must be at least 25' from neighboring residences, and may not be in front yard.
Waukee, IA. No fowl shall be kept within the city limits of the City, except in A-1 District or A-2 Annexation District on tracts of one (1) or more acres.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,911 times
Default jimfaust

for GrandmaRocks,

I saw your December 15 note regarding Iowa city ordinances on backyard chickens, and I was relieved.

Now a "call-back," from City Development, West Des Moines, saws you are wrong and "no West Des Moines chickens, where zoned for single-family houses."

Is, (I really hope,) your information RIGHT, and the "call-back" wrong? Your post is only 5 days old, so I really hope YOU have the right information.

Resident-in-West Des Moines, who would like to "get started."

Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,714,909 times
I thought I posted this picture but I guess I didn't.... This is my front porch last Christmas. One of the neighbors chickens was roaming around the neighborhood and hanging out on the porch:

Another one from later that day when she was staring into my window:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines