U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 16,115 times
My husband and I have lived in Perry, IA for about 6 years now. We moved from northern CA to the Des Moines area because we wanted to be near my daughter and her family. We lived in Des Moines first, but the property taxes have gone sky high, so now we live in Perry and commute to work in Des Moines. Perry is a wonderful little town. People are friendly, and we have wonderful neighbors. My husband works for Mercy Hospital in Des Moines, but Dallas Co Hospital in Perry is now owned by Mercy also. Since we've lived in Perry, the hospital has been massively renovated and added on to. It's beautiful. I've been a patient there and can attest to the quality of care as well. Perry has a large HY Vee (supermarket chain, open 24 hours), as well as a smaller, family owned supermarket. There is a wonderful historic downtown area and gorgeous hotel where people come from all over to visit.There are also beautiful tree lined streets with gorgeous huge older, restored homes. Perry is culturally diverse and the hispanic population is about 35%. Crime in Perry is low. You do not need to worry about your daughter living in Perry. Iowa will embrace her as one of their own. It is a very family oriented state, and we are proud Perry, IA residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 764 times
I don't know if your daughter still lives in Perry or not but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. I have lived in Perry for 15 years and my husband has lived here since he was in grade school. Perry now boasts a population of over 9000. It's only 25 miles to Des Moines so alot of people, myself included, commute to the big city for work. My opinion differs with some of the negative things said in these posts. My husband has worked at the meat packing plant since 1972. While it has seen alot of changes, it is still a good place to work and pays its employees a decent wage. Yes, the Hispanic population has increased but the plant has not had any illegal immigration raids in the 15 years I have lived here. Alot of Hispanics are homeowners and take care of their homes. They are very family oriented. Crime is almost nonexistant, nothing major has happened since I've lived here. Perry has about a dozen churches, public and private schools, a movie theather, restaurants, body shops, car dealers, funeral homes, hotels, local radio station, retirement villages, nursing homes, department stores, hardware stores, grocery stores, applicance store, banks, doctors, dentists, veterinarians, country club, florists, just about everything you could want. You can still buy a decent home for $80,000 to $170,000. We have a 4th of July parade and celebration in the parks in town and Friday Fests during the summer in the downtown area. This is small town America where the residents are involved in their schools' sports programs and community events. It IS NOT a dangerous place to live. I would feel safe walking through any of the neighborhoods after dark. It's a good, safe place to raise a family. I hope anyone who is considering moving to Perry who has concerns now has their minds put to rest.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 584 times
Y'all are soooooooo wrong i currently live here in perry and it is the best town to grow up. Ames and des moines is very close so thats one advantage. The people here are very welcoming but the kids at school are very obnoxious and the teachers in the community suck. Lets just say the kids there are dumb they're a bunch of redneck hoo-ees... So i recommend to put your kids in st. Patrick's catholic school. (You don't have to be catholic to be in it) (i know a girl who went there and is atheist) good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines