U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,096 times

Advertisements

My daughter just moved to Perry Iowa from Northern California. She is 8 months pregnent, and I am terrified for her. I have read some of the postings here that say how much the native Iowans dislike outsiders. Is that true? THEN...the has been the recent blizzard and white out. This mom is a basket case in California. Can anyone offer any comfort? Does anyone have any info they can share about the hospitals there? All information welcome. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 06:28 PM

5,943 posts, read 6,487,836 times
I don't live in Perry, but I've been there. My wife's job takes her to the HyVee grocery store there once a week. From what I've seen, it's a nice town and the people are friendly.

The whole "native Iowans dislike outsiders" thing is BS. We moved to
Iowa a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how warmly we were received.

What Iowans don't like is people who come in from someplace with a totally different socio-economic climate and start telling people how backward they are and how everything they do is wrong. Please don't think I'm suggesting that your daughter would do that as I obviously don't even know her, I'm just explaining where the bad rep for Iowa comes from.

I'm sure your daughter and future grandchild will be fine!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM

20 posts, read 96,138 times
When my daughter went to college in Connecticut, she was amazed to find that people there sort of knew that Iowa was somewhere west of Ohio, & that Iowans had pigs in the back yard.

Good Grief!

Why would you believe such nonsense?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 20,093 times
Default Ummm..

I moved to Perry from Minneapolis in 02, and ran screaming to Des Moines in 04.

I was also pregnant while we lived there, and I have to say that the smell from the IBP packing plant just west of town was the primary reason I was miserable. Add that distinctive smell to an already queasy stomach and I was constantly sick, and blamed it all on living in Perry.

To be fair, I worked in DM and my dh was going to school in Ames, so we didn't "live" in Perry- we just slept there. We didn't really get much chance to know many people in the community. The few people we did meet were through my neighbors and the community center volleyball league. The people are nice and friendly, and Perry has quite a few transplants, so if your daughter makes any effort at all to know people, she shouldn't have any trouble.

The thing that will not be convenient for your daughter is that the Perry hospital no longer has a maternity ward. All babies are delivered in DM- roughly 30 miles away (and about 45 min commute). I *think* a hospital has recently been built in West DM, which is about 10-15 minutes closer commute. Also, when I lived there, there wasn't a pediatrician in the community, only family practice physicians. So, if it's important to your daughter that her child have a doctor trained for babies, she will have to go to West Des Moines. Personally, based on our experiences, I lean toward a doctor that has more detailed training.

As for the recent white-out storm...that kind of storm is rare, and people learn to stay home instead of being out and about. It's more of an inconvenience than a huge concern. Storms are predictable for the most part, and you almost always have a choice to stay home and off the roads when the weather is going to be bad. Here in the midwest, many people are somewhat afraid of living on the coasts in case of an earthquake (which is NOT predictable) or hurricane, if that gives you any perspective.

I hope that your daughter has a good experience in Perry- the people are really quite nice.

Last edited by Kristi S; 03-15-2007 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,914 times
i have lived in perry for right at a year, as i made a mistake of buying a house here, i would not recommend living in perry, the town itself stinks, most of the people are snotty, and most of the doctors arent worth a crud, other than that, no pigs in the backyards, just your nice average iowa town, boring..

Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 7,805 times
I grew up just outside of Perry. It's a very friendly town. The hospitals are good. I have a few friends who work there. My friend takes her son to the doctors here in town, and she has no complaints about it. The only reason native Iowans dislike outsiders is because many of them come here thinking they are someone special and they are snobby about it. For the most part, we live by the golden rule. If you're nice, we'll be nice. If your daughter needs any help, feel free to ask. I'm not a snotty person, I enjoy making new friends.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 15,575 times
I live and work in Perry,the town has too many rules to follow by for instance if you park your car more than 8 inches from the curb you get a ticket HAHA,trust me i know this,also your lawn has to be a certain height,another lame rule,all in all it is a very boring town,hopefully that answered all your questions,oh and 1 more thing if you decide to move her learn to speak spanish.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,700 times
Cindy0805, since you wrote your post in March, and it's now July - I would assume your daughter has had her baby and is doing OK now?

We used to live in Perry. In fact, we did most of our grocery shopping there at the new Hy-Vee. There are some nice things about Perry. The newer library is great, they have a new Pamida (cool discount store), and Burger King, there's a McDonalds. And a Dollar General Store. A fun Tea Room and Gift Shop to go to. A really neat store called Alco. Perry had a nice Hotel, but it has shut down earlier this year. They have a small Main Street with some local, small stores. I think there is still a Mexican Restaurant there.

There's also a meat packing plant there which is quite controversial to people. I heard countless discussions of it when we lived there.

A really nice thing is that it is near the Interstate and it's not that far from West Des Moines. So, if she wants to go to a nice mall, etc. she has close options.

If you like older, small Victorian houses - there are many of them in Perry. We liked driving through town looking at houses for fun.

The winters in Perry would probably be better than in rural areas, because at least your daughter has shopping right there in town and she wouldn't have to make a 20 mile drive to a store like many people in rural areas do.

By the way, we are Californians who also moved to Iowa a few years ago.

We have already left Iowa and are now living happily in the desert southwest. :-)

Best of luck to your daughter and her family.

Last edited by PitBull999; 07-12-2007 at 01:12 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 11,892 times
Default I am from iowa

what part of iowa did she move to i live outside of desmoines and iowa people do not mind people moving into iowa in some parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy0805 View Post
My daughter just moved to Perry Iowa from Northern California. She is 8 months pregnent, and I am terrified for her. I have read some of the postings here that say how much the native Iowans dislike outsiders. Is that true? THEN...the has been the recent blizzard and white out. This mom is a basket case in California. Can anyone offer any comfort? Does anyone have any info they can share about the hospitals there? All information welcome. Thank you.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:30 AM

25 posts, read 59,488 times
I grew up in Perry, Iowa. I don't want to discourage anyone at all, but I don't have a lot of good things to say about it. The town was at one time friendly to outsiders, but I think a lot of that attitude has changed in recent years with a lot of illegal immigrants coming into the town to work at the meat packing plant (the aforementioned IBP). I do not mean to come off as bigoted with that statement, but it did change the town dynamic drastically.

The town does have an extremely diverse make-up for being so small, but some of the minorities are not very friendly at all. This is a generalization as you'll find many friendly folks no matter of their origin, but the illegal/non-English speaking nature has rubbed folks the wrong way.

I only now realize that this topic was created months ago, so this is probably no help to the lady who created it. Hopefully your daughter delivered a beautiful child and is getting along well. Equally hopeful that she and her new child have adjusted to the town, or have moved on to a better place to live.

I will say this much, if Cindy comes back and reads this, it's my honest advice to have your daughter's child not be schooled in the Perry Community School sytem. As bad as my feelings towards the town are, the school is much worse. It is the epitome of what is wrong with the town as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines