U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-23-2009, 02:31 PM

3,109 posts, read 4,451,639 times
From what I gather from the Obama election, Iowa is not that bad. Since the majority of Iowa voted for him and they have gay marriage there, Iowa is kind of liberal these days. Plus Iowa have a lot of former Chicagolanders there, so you will at least feel right at home away from home.

Unread 07-23-2009, 02:34 PM

2,716 posts, read 4,250,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
From what I gather from the Obama election, Iowa is not that bad. Since the majority of Iowa voted for him and they have gay marriage there, Iowa is kind of liberal these days.
Nope, just a bunch of racists evidently.

Unread 07-23-2009, 02:42 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,614,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Clearly a statement suggesting the inability of an entire race to be racist was meant to get a rise out of me...or at least I would hope he wouldn't be that ignorant.
Personally I don't think a "minority racist" is quite the same. Maybe that's not what you were implying.

For instance, I've heard before "black/hispanic/asian are just as racist", and I personally don't see it the same way, as they are the ones dealing with actual racism.

Of course, Obama won, so racism no longer exists, that belief is very popular now. Tell that to the black guy who got an all-white jury for beating up a white guy over a racial slur directed towards him.

I didn't get picked for the final pool, but lets just say, he had no chance to begin with given an all-white jury. That's Iowa for you, even with Obama and the gay marriage law (which would easily be voted down if the people had a say).

Unread 07-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Personally I don't think a "minority racist" is quite the same. Maybe that's not what you were implying.

For instance, I've heard before "black/hispanic/asian are just as racist", and I personally don't see it the same way, as they are the ones dealing with actual racism.

Of course, Obama won, so racism no longer exists, that belief is very popular now. Tell that to the black guy who got an all-white jury for beating up a white guy over a racial slur directed towards him.

I didn't get picked for the final pool, but lets just say, he had no chance to begin with given an all-white jury. That's Iowa for you, even with Obama and the gay marriage law (which would easily be voted down if the people had a say).
I'm not doubting the white on minority racism. But if you are suggesting that is the only form of legitimate racism, then yes, you are in fact dead wrong.

Unread 07-23-2009, 04:51 PM

Explain to me how whites experience racism at the hands of blacks, that "just as bad". I didn't know blacks were enslaving whites for 400 years.

You're totally right, a white guy experiences just as much racism as a black in Iowa. I even have a black friend who was accused of stealing his own car in West Des Moines, you think that would happen to a white? Probably not, although it is theoretically possible.

Unread 07-23-2009, 05:25 PM

25 posts, read 54,482 times
Let's focus on what Rhonda wants to hear about. Her children are the issue here. She is being responsible in caring for the well-being of her kids growing up in a new environment. I would like for us to return the favor, and responsibly inform her of our own experiences.

Personally, Rhonda, I see a lot of great racial interaction all throughout Des Moines. To be specific, West Des Moines seems to be a stand-out community as far as cohesive integration is concerned. I see kids from different age groups and different racial backgrounds all the time, hanging out with each other, and having a good time, all while being safe.

This is only one person's perspective, but I think they would fit in rather nicely. Your mentions of your children's credentials only furthers this point. I think West Des Moines would be glad to have you and your children as a part of their community.

As far as the Waukee school system goes, when I was in high school, they were just but a mere dot on the map. Now, they're a bustling community with all sorts of growth. I'm not sure how diverse or accepting Waukee is in particular, but if it is anything like West Des Moines in terms of culture, it should be a positive experience for you and yours.

Unread 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM

26,809 posts, read 30,150,217 times
I think the difference is more in terms of institutional racism and the reality of that is what I think Ronnie is getting at. Attitudinal racism is something people are more apt to get over and is tougher to detect, sometimes.

Anyway, there are Black people in West Des Moines. Here's a good website in terms of numbers for the West Des Moines Community SD: West des Moines Comm School District Overview | GreatSchools

Here are the student demographics for that SD too: Test Scores for West des Moines Comm School District | GreatSchools
So, there are Black students there, as well as some other people of color in the student body.

Does it necessarily have to be West Des Moines? Are there some nice parts of Des Moines that are nice and diverse that would work?

Unread 07-23-2009, 05:35 PM

1,744 posts, read 4,546,097 times
Quote:

What incident are you referring to here? Or are you making something up?

Unread 07-23-2009, 06:18 PM

When I was chosen for jury duty, it was the case at hand. It's supposed to be a "jury of your peers", but the population of Des Moines isn't diverse enough to support that sometimes.

Unread 07-23-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
When I was chosen for jury duty, it was the case at hand. It's supposed to be a "jury of your peers", but the population of Des Moines isn't diverse enough to support that sometimes.
So what you are saying is that the jury was accurately reflective of it's population? So technically, it was a jury of your peers. Thanks for the clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines