Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
Hmmmmm. That inference is not the least bit racist.
Well, what's it say about you interpreting it that way? The poster said it was "safer" and "whiter", that's it. No direct connection was made. In your bigoted mind you connected "safer" with "whiter". I think you may have racist tendencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 AM

204 posts, read 1,012,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Well, what's it say about you interpreting it that way? The poster said it was "safer" and "whiter", that's it. No direct connection was made. In your bigoted mind you connected "safer" with "whiter". I think you may have racist tendencies.
I'm not the one laying "safer" and "whiter" side by side in the analysis; that was the orignator of this thread. Besides, Northern Traveler IS drawing a direct correlation between race and crime. Read his comment below.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
I'm not the one laying "safer" and "whiter" side by side in the analysis; that was the orignator of this thread. Besides, Northern Traveler IS drawing a direct correlation between race and crime. Read his comment below.

He did after your comment. All he did initially was post two words in a series together, separated by a comma. You put them together in your head. Face it, you're being racist and you're just trying to stir things up by trying to call other people out on perceived racism. End of story. Please do not feed the trolls, folks.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM

415 posts, read 1,738,596 times
I think the fact that he included "whiter" in with a list of good traits for an area to have is probably what raised a flag for some people. I don't think it was meant to be racist though, as much as just pointing out how suburb-y WDSM is.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:35 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I think the fact that he included "whiter" in with a list of good traits for an area to have is probably what raised a flag for some people. I don't think it was meant to be racist though, as much as just pointing out how suburb-y WDSM is.
I wouldn't confuse a red flag for being overly racially sensitive though.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
The school districts are what seperates Des Moines from the suburbs the most. Dropout rates are higher at East, North and Lincoln, with Rosevelt a bit better and Hoover probably the best in the Des Moines district. Thats why people move away, because the schools in the suburbs are superior. It's not so much the crime, because you can move around to safe neighborhoods within Des Moines. Most the scum lives in little pockets here and there, mostly in large old apartment complexes that take section 8 housing. Easy to avoid, but maybe not for your kid at school, lol.

I think it's kind of a rat race out there on the west side. The driving is stressfull, stop and go, stop and go, there's a stoplight every 3 blocks for miles on end out there, and Ankeny and Johnson are not much better in that reguard. They hand out tickets like candy out there, and put up cameras too.

As for taxes in the burbs, even if the mil rate is lower for property taxes, your gonna pay more out there because all that property is assessed at prime rates. They like to do road improvements near your house and sock you with some astronomical bill for it on your taxes. In Des Moines the mill rate is higher, but a similar house might be assessed 50K lower so even with a higher rate, you might pay less taxes here in many cases. They just blacktopped my street a few years ago, no extra assessment whatsoever on my tax bill.

We have nice parks and trails here in Des Moines, if you don't have kids, would you not prefer your taxes to go for roads, parks and infrastructure improvements? Our city services are good in Des Moines. The water/trash bill is more reasonable too, in some suburbs it's double or triple. Perhaps the schools don't get those extra perks here, but would those perks make the kids we have to work with in Des Moines any smarter? I kinda doubt it, but I might be wrong about that. If you don't have kids, theres no big reason to move out there, you can move somewhere else within Des Moines to get to a better neighborhood.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:13 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
This is an interesting thread as I was back this summer, visiting my parents with my kids, and I've been living in California since April '07, with stints in VA (91-99) and MS (99-07) and stops since the late 80s in MN, IN, OH, MI and SD.

My parents live in the Beaverdale area and you can see some points of deterioration around the area, but its not that bad. They've actually improved a lot of the area around Drake from when I graduated from Iowa with my MA in '87. What's happened is the wealth has moved west to the Dallas County line but its not real population growth... I was a bit stunned to see that the mall in WDM has so quickly been surplanted by Jordan Creek... Merle Hay had been on its way down for years but the problem teens hanging out there were a problem when I was a teen.

They're still spending enormous amounts of money in downtown DSM appeasing the insurance industry. But, overall, compared to a lot of the rest of the country, if you don't mind really bad weather most of the year - its either too hot, or too cold - DSM isn't a bad place to live. If you want diversity, its not there, but it is a safe, clean and affordable place to live.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 AM

204 posts, read 1,012,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I think the fact that he included "whiter" in with a list of good traits for an area to have is probably what raised a flag for some people.
I guess if I'm considering to make a move somewhere, I don't place any emphasis on the availability of white people in the area.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
They're still spending enormous amounts of money in downtown DSM appeasing the insurance industry.
Most decent sized cities in the US are investing in their downtowns...as is Des Moines. I'm not sure what the insurance industry has to do with it. Care to explain what you mean and what projects are specific to appeasing the insurance companies?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 60,021 times
I have to disagree with the assessment of the schools in Des Moines. It really depends what school your children go to and what you as a parent do. If you are involved in the school and know what is going on, your child is probably going to have a good experience. There are also programs in Des Moines that are unique-IB, Montessori, Project Based, Traditional, etc. There are also the high school programs at Central Campus/Academy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines