Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 PM

39 posts, read 166,811 times

Advertisements

Just heard, it sounds like Ankeny will be getting an Olive Garden in the relatively near future. At least maybe one line will be decreasing in length during the next year or so. Also, Smashburger is a nice addition. We still don't have as much variety as many smaller cities but it is a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,482 times
I know this was posted a while ago, but today, the Jordan Creek area is SICK with chain places. PF Chang's, Bravo Cucina, On the Border, Buffalo Wild Wings, Joe's Crap (not a typo) Shack, Cheesecake Factory, Applebee's, Fuddrucker's, and I think there are about five more I'm forgetting.

BUT WHY would you WANT to go to those places? I'll admitt to visiting Romano's Macaroni Grill from time to time, but I'd rather go to Chucks on the north side or to the Latin King on the east. I'd rather go to either Waterfront locations that Joe's or Red Lobster.

We have an amazing variety of locally owned food joints (from Tasty Tacos to Trostel's Greenbriar), that frankly I have no idea why any would ask "Why is there only ONE Olive Garden?".

The anwer: Because one is enough.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 AM

252 posts, read 588,763 times
Look. Des Moines just isn't that into chain restaraunts. Open bag. Pour sauce from bag into industrial warmer. Ladel sauce over pre-fab microwaved pasta. Big freaking deal. Des Moines is a secret foodie town, just check every other cover of Cityview or DM Juice. Chain restaraunts have their place, thats why Chilis, Fridays, and Culvers have done so well. PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Joe's Crab Shack (why?), and the TWO locations of Hu-Hot do quite well, but DSM just can't handle too many. Old Chicago is just about pushing the limit of that race. Now, when another large corporation comes to town we should have more population base to support more crappy chain restaraunts. Until then, I'll take a Centro, Django, Something Italian, Azaela, Chef's Kitchen, Flying Mango, Tasty Tacos, Noodles, or George the Chili King with pleasure. Good, greasy, Iowa pleasure.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 15,361 times
hi- I am currently finishing a masters degree in elementary education and planning on moving later this year. I am looking at a few spots in the midwest and south. Can someone tell me what it is like for new teachers around the Des Moines area. From my research, this area seems to have most of what I am looking for. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 36,405 times
Some people like chains because they know they are going to like what they are going to order.

Nothing worse than going to an expensive restaurant and not liking the food. Personally, I think the local Italian restaurants are a little overrated by the locals who want to think Des Moines Italian food somehow rivals Boston or Chicago. Their menus are also too alike, which is a direct result of being in a small market. They're all claiming Southern Italy about 5 generations too late and they probably don't even know a word of Italian.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-04-2010 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: No manual signature, no advertiising.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 PM

178 posts, read 332,687 times
Cheeseburger in Paradise? I've never heard of that before.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 AM

17 posts, read 41,396 times
I may be alone on this, but I am pro-chain! Here are some chains that I wish would come to Des Moines:

Dick's Sporting Goods
Five Below (mostly an east coast store...still...it's friggin' awesome!)
Dunkin' Donuts
Melting Pot
At least ONE 7-Eleven
Shopko (for those who aren't in the midwest, it's a decent store in between Kmart and Target...Target clean with Kmart prices...which aren't terribly more than Wal-Mart's but it's an alternative than Wal-Mart...)
Macy's

If Macy's went into Southridge Mall, I think that mall would get more popularity (with Dillard's and Younkers already, they don't need to be in Jordan Creek)...that or Dick's Sporting Goods.

It didn't go so hot in Omaha, but I think Des Moines could keep a Melting Pot going....I personally think Des Moines has more culture than Omaha. People in Omaha just want to go to McDonald's and Runza 24/7...that could be one of the reasons why THEIR Melting Pot (and Romano's Macaroni Grill) closed.

Dunkin' Donuts...'nuff said. If St. Joseph, Missouri and Moline, Illinois can get them, WHY can't Des Moines? And I remember Boston Market being on 22nd Street where Krispy Kreme is now...and there was one in Ames where Quizno's and Gamers are now.

7-Eleven isn't in Des Moines anymore because of QuikTrip, which I'd rather have QuikTrip than 7-Eleven.

Me? I'm glad Des Moines has a lot of chains...especially for how small the metro area is! I love Cheesecake Factory and Romano's Macaroni Grill a LOT...and it's nice we have four major malls (with all anchors intact, by the way :-) ), many chain restaurants and stores....I could go on and on about this subject but I will stop for now lol...

Old 04-25-2010, 01:34 AM

17 posts, read 41,396 times
...Cheeseburger in Paradise is a typical burger place that is owned by Jimmy Buffet. There is one in Omaha in Village Pointe...my buddy took me there once....I could get a better burger at Ruby Tuesday...but it wasn't horrible, but not driving 100 miles to go eat...

Old 04-25-2010, 03:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,326,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4starcashier View Post
I may be alone on this, but I am pro-chain! Here are some chains that I wish would come to Des Moines:

Dick's Sporting Goods
Five Below (mostly an east coast store...still...it's friggin' awesome!)
Dunkin' Donuts
Melting Pot
At least ONE 7-Eleven
Shopko (for those who aren't in the midwest, it's a decent store in between Kmart and Target...Target clean with Kmart prices...which aren't terribly more than Wal-Mart's but it's an alternative than Wal-Mart...)
Macy's

If Macy's went into Southridge Mall, I think that mall would get more popularity (with Dillard's and Younkers already, they don't need to be in Jordan Creek)...that or Dick's Sporting Goods.

It didn't go so hot in Omaha, but I think Des Moines could keep a Melting Pot going....I personally think Des Moines has more culture than Omaha. People in Omaha just want to go to McDonald's and Runza 24/7...that could be one of the reasons why THEIR Melting Pot (and Romano's Macaroni Grill) closed.

Dunkin' Donuts...'nuff said. If St. Joseph, Missouri and Moline, Illinois can get them, WHY can't Des Moines? And I remember Boston Market being on 22nd Street where Krispy Kreme is now...and there was one in Ames where Quizno's and Gamers are now.

7-Eleven isn't in Des Moines anymore because of QuikTrip, which I'd rather have QuikTrip than 7-Eleven.

Me? I'm glad Des Moines has a lot of chains...especially for how small the metro area is! I love Cheesecake Factory and Romano's Macaroni Grill a LOT...and it's nice we have four major malls (with all anchors intact, by the way :-) ), many chain restaurants and stores....I could go on and on about this subject but I will stop for now lol...
IMO chain restaurants vs chain (most everything else), is a different argument.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,557,289 times
I'm sick of chains. They've ruined small businesses, and the service/food is sub par.

P.S.-A hidden gem for Chinese/Vietnamese is Fawn's on University & E. 9th area. By far the best Pho in Des Moines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines