U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 PM

43 posts, read 123,876 times

Advertisements

I was pissed at first and then quickly got over it. I always say "It Is What It Is" and move on. For the most part, the people have been very welcoming and I actually love Des Moines... it reminds me of home (Pittsburgh) without the mountains and a bridge everywhere. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Thanks a lot!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 PM

43 posts, read 123,876 times
Default Wtf???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Waterloo would be better, since it is the "Blackest" city in Iowa(about 13%). Davenport, Des Moines and even Cedar Rapids have their sections too. Same with some of the smaller cities like Ottumwa, Burlington, Iowa City, Sioux City, Fort Madison, Keokuk, Dodge City, Mason City, Dubuque, Council Bluffs, Marshalltown, etc....
I am NOT looking for the "Blackest" city. I seek cultural diversity with mature, intelligent, open-minded, diverse individuals. Race is not important to me. How did you know I may not want the "Whitest" city in Iowa?
I was born and raised in a predominantly White area of Pittsburghand grew up without a bit of prejudice in my blood. I personally am offended by your statement. I did not post anywhere that I was seeking the "Blackest" city in Iowa. I am fine where I am. Thank you very much! I am a well rounded individual

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM

99 posts, read 264,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well one general cultural aspect of the Midwest compared to the South is that people here tend to speak a little more bluntly. I wouldn't take offense to what people were saying, they were just being candid with their opinions and thoughts.

People in the Midwest stereotypically tend to be a little more insular in their handling of strangers, but then at the same time will more easily turn face and be very blunt compared to Southerners. I've always heard it can be quite tricky to make solid friends and find people that will really open up in the Midwest because people and groups here are harder to "break". Once you do though, the friendships are extremely close and the bond usually lasts a lifetime.

At least that's what I've heard from friends who move from the South or Northeast when they comment how hard it is to make good friends in the Midwest - but then at the same time comment how surprised they are that everyone's good friends seem to have been their good friends for decades. My friends from the Northeast said they made friends left and right back home, but at the end of the day 85% of them were people that could fall off the earth and within a few days they'd probably just be moving on with their lives.
That's very interesting. Although I was raised in Iowa, my roots stem from the The "Sip, as we Mississippi natives describe it, and the one thing that I have noticed in my 32 years of living is that many people in Mississippi (and the South in general) have a lot of "manners", if you get my drift. There is a plastic nature to many that tries not to offend, yet is quick to backstab on a moment's notice.

On another note, I also have noticed that the same people with "manners" will cut your throat in a Crescent City minute. I am serious. The same folks that say "Yes sir/Ma'am" will literally blow your brains out over a simple argument, or a "look". BTW, do not stare at people hard in the Deep South. Its very offensive to many, and may cause "issues" amongst some. There is a strong code of honor that stems back to Anglo-Saxon culture. Its described as the "Honor Code". If anyone else can elaborate on it, please do.

Last edited by JTJ1977; 12-01-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 PM

229 posts, read 417,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Lots of people from Africa do not see eye to eye with African Americans for various reasons.

It's basically the same reason that lots of Europeans look down upon White Americans and they argue about certain issues.

The same thing happens with Asian people, Middle Eastern, Latino, etc. etc.

American culture is materialistic, ignorant and full of baffoonery in many ways. People from other continents come to America and they are doing a constant "WTF?" at the culture. It's normal and very understandable that they might scoff a bit at the average rude American.
I completely agree! I have met many people from Europe who are surprised about how "dopey" (they think) we are. They thought that Americans (black or white) were a bit more enlightened than what they came to find out. Although, because we export so much junk overseas through media (TV especially; Jerry Springer, etc) many think American culture (white or black) leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by Kingsley; 12-02-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM

850 posts, read 1,278,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghDiva View Post
I recently moved to Des Moines from Atlanta, I am a Black female and I have noticed the warm welcome from Whites as opposed to Blacks and Africans, Can someone please tell me why Blacks and Africans in Des Moines feel that they are more superior than thier Black counterparts?

I mean, we are all of color, yet they look at you and roll thier eyes, stare you up and down and will not speak. The Whites... will speak, hold a conversation, shake your hand and they are easier to work with.

From what I have seen this far there is no reason for the negative reaction... It's 2009 and half are still wearing clothes from the late 80's early 90's, Jerri curls, the barbers can't cut hair for the life of me, they don't know what soul food is, and the females I have seen wear their hair... not even in a style! If I see another hi-low fade or a mohawk I will scream!! Catch up to the times!!
I didn't even know any blacks lived in IOWA. Wow!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:43 PM

809 posts, read 1,540,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
American culture is materialistic, ignorant and full of baffoonery in many ways. People from other continents come to America and they are doing a constant "WTF?" at the culture. It's normal and very understandable that they might scoff a bit at the average rude American.
BUT you come to this country in search of opportunities you couldn't get in your homeland because your government is too corrupt and unorganized to attract and build the infrastructure needed to keep you there?

Sounds like the average "rude" American can do a little scoffing at you.

don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
me neither.

is she sure she didn't mean Cleveland, Ohio?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
That's very interesting. Although I was raised in Iowa, my roots stem from the The "Sip, as we Mississippi natives describe it, and the one thing that I have noticed in my 32 years of living is that many people in Mississippi (and the South in general) have a lot of "manners", if you get my drift. There is a plastic nature to many that tries not to offend, yet is quick to backstab on a moment's notice.

On another note, I also have noticed that the same people with "manners" will cut your throat in a Crescent City minute. I am serious. The same folks that say "Yes sir/Ma'am" will literally blow your brains out over a simple argument, or a "look". BTW, do not stare at people hard in the Deep South. Its very offensive to many, and may cause "issues" amongst some. There is a strong code of honor that stems back to Anglo-Saxon culture. Its described as the "Honor Code". If anyone else can elaborate on it, please do.
I'm from Mississippi too and I can vouch for these statements ^^^

Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 AM

12 posts, read 26,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post

you're kidding right????

I live in bettendorf and it has been mochafied!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 AM

12 posts, read 26,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
me neither.

is she sure she didn't mean Cleveland, Ohio?
She's sure, "la mocha" is every where...except maybe Vermont....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines