Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM

449 posts, read 930,897 times

Advertisements

We all know the entire Detroit metro area has been devastated by the fallout from the lending crisis. Real estate values are in the toilet, and the ripple effect from our failing the auto industry is being felt by everyone. But, what I have also been noticing is that many neighborhoods have apartments or other real estate going section 8.

Putting all the racism nonsense aside, I'm just wondering if this trend isn't going to be the nail in the coffin for many neighborhoods. Where I live, there are a few very large apartment complexes that have gone section 8 and I am worried that this will prevent the neighborhood and the property values from ever returning to normal.

I live on a wonderful lake in Waterford and I love where I live and am considering purchasing a home in the next couple years. But, I am worried that this disturbing trend could possibly turn my investment into a liability.

Just wondering what people think about this. Will property values ever return to normal? Will these apartments stop renting to section 8?

P.S. Since so many people here love to make everything about racism, be forewarned that such opinions are the last thing in the world I am concerned with. Save it for someone who gives a **** and please do not hijack this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,060,377 times
Section 8 is great. It guarentees folks have an opportunity to live in a nice place depite income.

It means places like Bloomfield and West Bloomfield have to allow for AFFORDABLE housing and cannot tax out the common folk..

Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 AM

589 posts, read 754,090 times
Eh...I have seen plenty of horror stories due to Section 8. Im not going to beat around the bush about it either, many of the people on Section 8 are exactly the types that cause urban decay. Instead of taking advantage of Section 8 properly, and adapting to what should be a better lifestyle, they instead bring thier old lifestyle with them.

This runs the gamut from gangs, robbery, theft, murder. You name it. So I am not a fan of it, infact I prefer giving the option of Welfare but not both welfare AND section 8. Since with welfare atleast, if someone is serious, they will use welfare to better themselves [perhaps well enough to earn thier homes themselves]. If they are not serious, they will do the same thing they have been doing since day 1 in thier run down area with other like minded people [which is doing nothing, on the tax payers dime].

Now Section 8 + Welfare ? Nice house and Free money. And if they bring a bad lifestyle with them ? The ones who feel the damage is the rest of the community that work for what they have earned, and they end up moving out. Its simply

That is the rule of thumb as far as Section 8 goes in my experience, it often doesnt work out well. And even without welfare, a house that could cost 3000 a month can be subsidized down to as low as 500 a month [completely unfair to those of us who work 40+hrs a week and barely keep our mortgage going]. Which pretty much anyone can afford.

Section 8 causes more decay in Detroit that what would otherwise be there. Its a never ending story in Detroit, sadly. And it goes to show that not every problem can be solved by giving handouts out [working on making stronger communities, based on the family is where the real solution is at imo].

Last edited by jonaos; 06-28-2010 at 03:59 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,450,300 times
Section 8 does destroy neighborhoods, just like it destroys the work ethic and motivation.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM

378 posts, read 971,516 times
yes

/see any neighborhood that contains it for examples of where you don't want to live

Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM

449 posts, read 930,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Section 8 is great. It guarentees folks have an opportunity to live in a nice place depite income.

It means places like Bloomfield and West Bloomfield have to allow for AFFORDABLE housing and cannot tax out the common folk..
That is an odd way of looking at things. First, the free market already guarantees that people have an opportunity to live in a nice place once they have EARNED the privilege. You see, people who earn things tend to appreciate them and take care of them - neighborhoods are no different.

Bloomfield & West Bloomfield do offer affordable housing to those who have, through their hard work and productivity, EARNED enough to live there and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

If someone has EARNED this privilege by being a productive member of society, it is unfair to them in many ways to destroy their neighborhoods by moving the ghetto in at the taxpayer's expense.

I fully understand that some people are all gung-ho with the whole class warfare thing and there are many threads in which you can **** and moan about such issues. But the fact is, moving section 8 people into good neighborhoods tends to destroy the neighborhood and most people simply don't want to be around them.

This thread is about the question of whether or not those of us seeing section 8 coming to their town should be concerned.

Will the trend reverse, or will it permanently devalue the neighborhood? Has anyone seen this happen before?

Old 06-28-2010, 04:07 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,060,377 times
Capitalism...have you hated on your lower class neighbor today?

How many times have we heard--THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD--when someone who doesn't look like us moves in...

Section 8 is an opportunity for folks (and there are those who abuse their position just like there are those in West Bloomfield who abuse their position) to have shelter, in lieu of a refridgerator box or one of the wonderful shelters --have they opened that one in Bloomfield yet?

Think about section 8 the next time your neighbor beats their spouse, drinks the grocery money or gambles the last of the savings on the sure thing LOTTO, and the abused--neglected spouse finally decides to leave the crap and has NO WHERE to stay...OH wait--there is SECTION 8....

The spouse that decides it's enough may just be your brother, sister, or heavens forbid one of your parents..

Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 PM

589 posts, read 754,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Capitalism...have you hated on your lower class neighbor today?

How many times have we heard--THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD--when someone who doesn't look like us moves in...

Section 8 is an opportunity for folks (and there are those who abuse their position just like there are those in West Bloomfield who abuse their position) to have shelter, in lieu of a refridgerator box or one of the wonderful shelters --have they opened that one in Bloomfield yet?

Think about section 8 the next time your neighbor beats their spouse, drinks the grocery money or gambles the last of the savings on the sure thing LOTTO, and the abused--neglected spouse finally decides to leave the crap and has NO WHERE to stay...OH wait--there is SECTION 8....

The spouse that decides it's enough may just be your brother, sister, or heavens forbid one of your parents..

Right...So the people who dont like the idea of giving out near-free homes to people who dont deserve it, are somehow the bad guys here. And they have the problem. Sure. I disagree with that entirely, most states have Welfare for instance, and many of the folks who abuse Section 8 also abuse Welfare [free money]. If you cant improve yourself on Welfare, throwing in a free house in a nice neighborhood isnt going to change them.

So I have no sympathy for people on Section 8. Especially when many decent working families who bust thier behinds off daily are losing thier homes [and yet, people who refuse to work get them for free + free money via welfare].

Also, what about the crimes ? Much of the population who use Section 8 in Detroit come from the slums. Those areas are the most violent places in America and unsurprisingly crime spikes when a freeby Section 8 block opens up in a nice neighborhood. What do you say to the victims of the crimes from those people brought into thier neighborhoods.

And Capitalism is what it is. Love it or hate it, it is the best system we have so far. With it, you own what you have earned...Or atleast thats the way it was when this country wasnt going down the toilet [ the handle hasnt flushed it yet, but we are getting there].

Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,984,350 times
Section 8 has been in Harper Woods for awhile now. My neighborhood is still nice and peaceful and safe. Eastland Village apartments however, are a breeding ground for crime. I don't mind the section 8. It drove down the house prices so I bought at rock bottom, and I can turn around and rent my house to section 8 tennants and make a profit.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,875,292 times
. Eastland Village apartments however, are a breeding ground for crime.

Are they really? I thought the rents were pretty high there. The buildings look pretty good from the road. I would have expected problems at the apartments at Kingsville and Edgefield. Some of the apartments further up Kelly between 9 and 10 are getting to be roach motels, too.

As for the subsidized housing (and welfare in general) question, I'm going to have to say that it bothers me some when the Bridge Card users are better dressed than I am and buying better food than I am, and the other day I drove by the housing projects along 15 Mile east of Gratiot, looked into the window of an apartment along 15 Mile, and what did I find? A flat screen TV, at least 40 inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit