Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 AM

449 posts, read 930,897 times

Advertisements

My problem is I rented a place on a lake and became a lake addict. So, now my options are limited. Although there are lakes in the more affluent areas, we are talking outrageous money in most cases. Aside from that just about any affluent suburb is pretty much a god rule of thumb save for West Bloomfield which is a whole other subject.

But, I'm not just looking at areas, I'm also looking for activities and places. My buddy suggested volunteering at a hospital which sounds like a great situation. I always wanted to be a doctor, I'd be helping people and where better to meet quality people. Plus, dating a doctor might not be a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 03:39 PM

336 posts, read 904,873 times
Have you considered Lake Fenton? With all the foreclosures you might be able to find a decent place fairly cheap, and it's close to Genesys if you wanted to volunteer at a hospital.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:07 PM

23 posts, read 46,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Plus, dating a doctor might not be a bad idea.
I dated a heart surgeon for 5 years and it was so bad it was not even funny... Not a very classy person, you know... managed to go to med school, but that was it... nothing affluent about him... Of course each person is different, but I would not trade my now economist husband for any doctor (or anyone else as a matter of fact - except maybe the elderly Chinese anesthesiologist that I REALLY loved while I was in such bad pain during labor... LOL ). But I do agree that volunteering is a nice idea and hospitals always need help (hubby used to volunteer in the ER at the hospital I gave birth to our first son).

Living by a lake would be nice... I would love to be able to afford a 5000 sq.ft. home by a lake AND the maids and gardeners, and a pool boy, and so on...
A friend of mine used to say you have 2 chances of becoming rich in life: one is when you're born and the other one is when you get married... both of mine are gone... LOL

Old 07-10-2010, 05:08 PM

23 posts, read 46,094 times
oh, and since I am not from the area, what is the problem with West Bloomfield?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 PM

99 posts, read 279,805 times
edub - did you ever wind up in Lake Orion? Just wondering since I still hope to get there this fall.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,158,646 times
Don't know, I wonder too. While not enamored of the rich per se, I will say they seem less likely to urinate in public or drop sacks of kittens off in the country. That has to count for something?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 AM

449 posts, read 930,897 times
Lake Fenton I will have a look at but it sounds far.

I drove around Lake Orion - it seems nice but a tough commute to Detroit where my business is located. It is a possibility though.

West Bloomfield: Let's just say that while it is a wealthy community, it is a particularly obnoxious place for a number of reasons. One of these reasons is a particularly obnoxious demographic of rich people who seem to think the world is their toilet and consider being rude and ill mannered an Olympic sport. I'm going to leave it at that.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM

20,896 posts, read 19,366,943 times
If you are asking what area or suburb you should move to that has good people, I think it has more to do with your immediate neighbors. You're probably only going to associate with those within a few houses of you, if even that many, so the other people outside this close proximity are really irrelevant (assuming they are not active criminals).

I would suggest that if it is really that important to you, you make an attempt to talk to your potential future neighbors to see if they measure up to your standards.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 AM

20,896 posts, read 19,366,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes29 View Post
Well I am African American and live in Troy. I can't really tell you if the people are nice because I keep to myself but I do get a lot of stares that make me feel uncomfortable.
How sad. ! I don't understand this "people look at me strange because my skin color is different". Hell, people look at me strange...and they're my color!

But seriously, when I (a white person) am in a black area and people look at me (strangely or not), I just smile, wave, and say "hi". I would suggest you do the same. People are probably more afraid of you than you are of them. Show them there is nothing to fear. Break the ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit