Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:44 PM

126 posts, read 304,474 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of bad things about detroit. You guys have a really bad reputation. Is detroit really a giant ghetto like people make it seem like? Because my city (philly) doesn't really have a good rep(not as bad as detroits) but a lot of what people think about it isn't true in terms of safety and stuff, so I'm guessing detroit is the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
I've been to Philadelphia a couple of times and most of it feels ten times better than most of Detroit. Going to south Philly and walking a few blocks from the parking spot to Pat's? It can be done in and near downtown Detroit for the most part, though you might be panhandled, you can probably do it in SW Detroit right around the concentration of Mexican restaurants near the Ambassador Bridge (that few blocks feels a lot like the Pat's/Geno's intersection, but a notch below qualitywise, but in the average Detroit neighborhood? Naah. There are areas in Detroit (the eastern edge next to Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Woods, and Harper Woods) that remind me a really teeny bit of NE Philly (I think it's the red brick), but less dense, but those neighborhoods aren't quite as good and they've gone down quite a bit in the last few years.
The other difference between the two is that chain stores are hard to find in Detroit. There might be a good neighborhood but other than a Rite Aid and an auto parts store, there's not much available there and most Detroiters end up in suburban areas to shop. There are no malls or modern power centers in the city, either.
The bad stuff in Philadelphia is probably as bad as the stuff in Detroit, but there's probably a higher percentage of Detroit's land mass that is to be avoided.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
In short, no.

It has its areas that should be avoided. They're quite large, but the nice parts are definitely there.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:30 AM

449 posts, read 934,449 times
It's much worse. Detroit is a full out war zone. There are some decent areas down town set up for suburbanites and most suburbanites get their impressions of the city from these tiny pockets. But, the neighborhoods are war zones where it's pretty much like the wild west.

All of us business owners carry guns (I personally have had to brandish mine) and it is rare to find a store without bullet proof glass. If you can find a McDonnell's, even they have BPG. Most of the buildings are vacant and have been stripped to the bone and many houses are just falling in or burned. Plus, a tiny percentage of crime is even reported because everyone knows it does no good and most of the victims have warrants for their arrest to begin with.

No, Detroit is not a functioning "city" in the same way Philly or Chicago is. It is more of an urban wasteland and a humanitarian disaster.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:39 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
It's much worse. Detroit is a full out war zone. There are some decent areas down town set up for suburbanites and most suburbanites get their impressions of the city from these tiny pockets. But, the neighborhoods are war zones where it's pretty much like the wild west.

All of us business owners carry guns (I personally have had to brandish mine) and it is rare to find a store without bullet proof glass. If you can find a McDonnell's, even they have BPG. Most of the buildings are vacant and have been stripped to the bone and many houses are just falling in or burned. Plus, a tiny percentage of crime is even reported because everyone knows it does no good and most of the victims have warrants for their arrest to begin with.

No, Detroit is not a functioning "city" in the same way Philly or Chicago is. It is more of an urban wasteland and a humanitarian disaster.
Some examples of the users definition of the wild west being all in Detroit is seen below.
detroit - Google Maps

detroit - Google Maps

detroit - Google Maps

detroit - Google Maps

Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,321 times
Search Radius: 1.0 Mile

The first cite:

18772 Northlawn St, Detroit, MI 48221-2088

165 crimes
between 6/1/2010 - 7/8/2010

The second cite is safer:

155 crimes

The 3rd cite is much safer:

70 crimes

The 4th cite has by far the least crime:

49 crimes

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Old 07-08-2010, 02:00 PM

183 posts, read 467,576 times
Quote:

So the entire city is an "urban wasteland and a humanitarian disaster" huh?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:

Nice way to describe a place filled with living, breathing, human beings, many of whom just want a safe place to live and raise their kids, kids who are filled with who knows how much talent and potential. And let's not forget the elderly who are on fixed incomes and couldn't leave Detroit if they wanted to. Most of them worked hard and contributed to society when they were younger. A humanitarian disaster? Wow. Just...wow.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:

LOL....really??

Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
It's not quite a humanitarian disaster, but two-thirds of the place barely functions, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit