Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 PM

170 posts, read 495,958 times

Advertisements

A friend and I were talking about race realtions here in the MetroDetroit area. He mentioned areas that he would NEVER live in. One was Warren. I was a bit surprised. I mentioned that I've spent time shopping/socializing in Warren and have never had a problem. I also said,truthfully,that I would live in Warren if I found the right house without hesistation. My friend laughed and said that would be a HUGE mistake.
I understand Warren has had it's share of racial tension through the years but I thought things had gotten better.
My question:Is Warren still a highly segregated biogoted city? Are non caucasian people harrassed(or worse)if they choose to live in Warren?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:24 PM

18 posts, read 47,810 times
There were some racial problems in Warren in the past---there used to be a certain mayor that inflamed them. Keep in mind, though, that Warren is a large, diverse city and that neighborhoods in the northern half of town are very different from those closer to 8 Mile Rd.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 PM

339 posts, read 975,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucks View Post
My question:Is Warren still a highly segregated biogoted city? Are non caucasian people harrassed(or worse)if they choose to live in Warren?
No they are not, it is an exageration. There are ignorant racist people in Warren but its not any different than any other majority white suburb. Warren always gets put down because is a blue collar middle income area. It is not glamourous or ritzy and some parts of it in the south are definitely not pretty, but the rest is fine specially for how affordable it is. Is there crime? yes, are there people that uses drugs? of course but not to the level that some people make it seem here. They make look Warren like south Bronx in the 80's.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
I wouldn't consider it a tolerant place, but it would most likely be a better experience than the old days. I haven't heard of any cross burnings or the like in Warren recently. Neighboring Eastpointe has made the news lately with the hate mail. Macomb County in general doesn't seem to be a terribly tolerant place. I don't think it's a dangerous place for minorities, but not everyone welcomes them with open arms. South Warren may get a bad rap in this forum (I know I've dragged it through the mud a number of times) but it's a depressed, depressing, dreary place with a minimal future.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,496 times
Warren does not see the racial tension problems today as it did in the past, but it is still a racially segregated city without a doubt. South Warren (below I-696) is a much more diverse area than the northern area closer to Sterling Heights, but even thats changing.

As us66 pointed out, Eastpointe recently made the news because of racial hate mail that some African American families recieved in the mail. It's very sad to see that in the 21st Century these types of hate motivated crimes still continue. Whether you live in the suburbs along 8 Mile or Telegraph or the upper class suburbs of Bloomfield Hills you must know that all of metro Detroit is going to continue to get more and more diverse, you can either accept it or not, but I would certainly hope that people give new neighbors a chance.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Thank you all for weighing in.
us66&Dexter I've heard and seen the reports about Eastpointe. Funny thing is I'd been thinking of moving to Eastpointe before all of the 'trouble' started. I've been house shopping in that city several dozen times before and after the letters&the fire and I've not had any experience that would make me change my mind about moving there. Granted,I was only visiting(things may be different when/if I move there)but everyone was cordial and friendly. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone was doing cartwheels seeing me walk down the street but that's the way life is.
Thanks all.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:37 PM

449 posts, read 934,158 times
Why is everything a matter of racism?

Warren is a large city. S. Warren is practically Detroit - ghetto as hell with houses going for less than $10K. N. Warren still has some nice areas. People in N. Warren do feel strongly about keeping their neighborhoods safe and desirable as do folks in most E side neighborhoods.

I guess ignorant people who can not muster a logical thought might construe that as bigotry or racism. To me it's just an issue of logic.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM

I appreciate any and everyone who takes time out to respond to my posts here.
Having said that have you anything to add that directly(bluntly yet respectfully)answers the question I posed in my original post?
Thank you.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM

530 posts, read 1,550,980 times
Warren is fair North of 12 Mile. South of 12 Mile in Warren; a lot of Section 8. Subsidized housing devastates Detroit and the Inner Ring.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 AM

449 posts, read 934,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucks View Post
I appreciate any and everyone who takes time out to respond to my posts here.
Having said that have you anything to add that directly(bluntly yet respectfully)answers the question I posed in my original post?
Thank you.
Warren is a big city. S. Warren is ghetto - N. Warren is (or was last I was there) a decent middle class neighborhood. The further North, the better.

Does that help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit