U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 PM

1,497 posts, read 2,016,117 times

Advertisements

I found this project for "BURN": One Year on the Front Lines of the Battle to Save Detroit.

http://www.detroitfire.org/

The documentary's trailer is very moving. Was more than worth 10 minutes of my life. I hope they are able to finish the film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 PM

1,497 posts, read 2,016,117 times
Bumped in light of the recent fires...

Bing calls fires in Detroit 'natural disaster' | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100908/NEWS01/100908043/1003/news01/Bing-calls-fires-in-Detroit-natural-disaster - broken link)

Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 AM

2,089 posts, read 723,266 times
Very sad. I hop they can get it together.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:48 AM

6,099 posts, read 4,811,632 times
I have great respect for firefighters, but there are a few things that continue to bother me when I hear of firefighter deaths/injuries:
  1. Why do firefighters climb up on the roofs of houses to poke holes in them with fire-axes? Wouldn't it be better to try to keep the roof intact to help snuff out the fire (i.e. prevent an updraft)?
  2. Why are firefighters required to enter burning building known to be abandoned under the presumption that someone must have been inside to start the fire and that person may need to be saved? Wouldn't it be better to let arsonists, or other illegal squatters, suffer the consequences of their actions?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
Well for one they cut holes in the roof to ventilate the building so that they can get in and see to do there job and to release the heat and as you might know heat rises and has already updrafted. If you were in a burning building trust me youbwould want the heat out as soon as possible. A fire of any magnitude other than a trash can is not going to "snuff" out. And as for number two couldn't agree with you more

Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 AM

Thanks, Ckinsey88, I hadn't thought about the heat aspect. The temperature can reach 1200F and cause flashover/explosion.

Why do I see firefighters cutting holes in the roof of a building on fire?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM

160 posts, read 285,043 times
As a former resident who is familiar with how things work in Detroit, I loved that documentary teaser, but am utterly amazed that the FD & City leadership allowed the rather bleak reality of Detroit to be pointed-out by DFD personnel on-duty.

The message I got is that Detroit is pretty dirty, run-down & desperate, Detroit firefighters are everyday heroes that love their jobs & are struggling to save the city, but it seems like it is a losing battle & there's not a lot of hope for salvation, though there are some small examples of people trying.

As a former resident, I know that's the reality, but I'm surprised it's a message that the mayor --who seems to rule with an iron fist-- is allowing DFD to convey.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,721,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I have great respect for firefighters, but there are a few things that continue to bother me when I hear of firefighter deaths/injuries:
  1. Why do firefighters climb up on the roofs of houses to poke holes in them with fire-axes? Wouldn't it be better to try to keep the roof intact to help snuff out the fire (i.e. prevent an updraft)?
  2. Why are firefighters required to enter burning building known to be abandoned under the presumption that someone must have been inside to start the fire and that person may need to be saved? Wouldn't it be better to let arsonists, or other illegal squatters, suffer the consequences of their actions?

Firefighters have my upmost respect---they go into infernos to save human lives, without putting a vlaue on that life first. I read about a Detroit firefighter who rushed into a burning home, not even sure if people were inside. There was a family of squatters living there. Did he stop to think well, they shouldn't be there in the first place, so I will just stand by/ No, he did his job...............and died. a father of 6, BTW, the squatters probably fled, they were unaccounted for, just a guess if they were even there that night.

I lived in Detroit, I witnessed many such fires. The house next door to me burned, a lady and her child perished. firefighters did everything they could, I will never forget the sight of the firefighter, a big, hulk of a man, rushing out of the burning home with a little bundle, the child, wrapped in a fireproof blanket. Others grabbed the child to a waiting ambulance, then pronounced the child dead. The fireman couldn't stop crying...................without such brave souls as them where would we all be? They didn't stop to ask are those people worth saving? They just did their job.......................BTW, I understand its hard to get much life insurance as a firefighter

Old 12-06-2010, 05:01 PM

(In response to Utahooligan: )

Bing would look pretty foolish denying it or covering it up. By the way, two Detroit EMS workers were recently fired for complaining on camera about the lack of working ambulances in the city (I think their words were "Detroit has the worst fire department in the country" or something to that effect.) Well, as was recently pointed out by Channel 2, the city has many ambulances out of service and, with only 2 mechanics and refused offers from a private company to fix the vehicles for free, their assessment appears quite true.

Detroit EMS: Has Anything Changed? (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/detroit-ems-has-anything-changed-question-mark-20101202-wpms - broken link)

Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 PM

In response to MaryleeII:

Firefighters are employed by the taxpayers to rescue them and protect their property. Squatters and absentee owners of dilapidated abandoned buildings are not contributing to the well-being of fire-firefighters. Therefore, they deserve no obligation on the part of firefighters to protect them or their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit