Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times

Advertisements

There's one block (maybe two) with split levels and houses with attached garages. I would guesstimate them as being from about '62-'66, judging from the ages of similar houses in north Warren and Center Line. Those two blocks I mentioned allegedly have video cameras now, too. I went through at night so I didn't see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
There's one block (maybe two) with split levels and houses with attached garages. I would guesstimate them as being from about '62-'66, judging from the ages of similar houses in north Warren and Center Line. Those two blocks I mentioned allegedly have video cameras now, too. I went through at night so I didn't see them.

There could be cameras now. We had a Regent home oweners association that pretty much covered Gratiot to Schoenherr and 8 Mile to Sate Fair. The fact that there would be cameras should be indication that the neighborhood has deteriorated. The split levels are the exception not the norm. My house was built in the 70's but it had burned in the 70's and was rebuilt. Just drive down Kelly. There's spotty abandonment that was never there. The real estate agency we went with to sell our house was on Kelly and is now vacant.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:16 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Those areas between State Fair and 8, Gratiot to Kelly have really taken a beating the last five years or so. It's really too bad because the housing stock was pretty good...mostly well-made brick houses.

As for the cameras, I just meant it looked like the block club actually cared somewhat. I also didn't notice any burned out shells of houses or six foot high weeds. I know video cameras in residential areas=bad. Some of the apartment complexes in my area have them.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Those areas between State Fair and 8, Gratiot to Kelly have really taken a beating the last five years or so. It's really too bad because the housing stock was pretty good...mostly well-made brick houses.

As for the cameras, I just meant it looked like the block club actually cared somewhat. I also didn't notice any burned out shells of houses or six foot high weeds. I know video cameras in residential areas=bad. Some of the apartment complexes in my area have them.

If you want a shell of a house and 6 foot high weeds, look at the first two houses on Carlisle off of Schoenherr. I also seen a burned out house on Edmore between Hayes and Kelly but I cannot remember the cross street it was by.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:38 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I also seen a burned out house on Edmore between Hayes and Kelly but I cannot remember the cross street it was by.
One burned out house on a pretty long street, not too bad for Detroit. It seems the urban blight starts getting really bad at 7 Mile, but that's just my observation.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
One burned out house on a pretty long street, not too bad for Detroit. It seems the urban blight starts getting really bad at 7 Mile, but that's just my observation.

I'm comparing it with what it was in the 90's. It's still one of the better areas of Detroit, but it has gone downhill quiet a bit in the past 10 years.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I'm comparing it with what it was in the 90's. It's still one of the better areas of Detroit, but it has gone downhill quiet a bit in the past 10 years.
I agree. It has gone downhill over the years, but it HAS fared much better than 80% of the city.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM

59 posts, read 306,826 times
Hopefully I can get a word in here without an overly sensitive moderator deleting my post.

Some of the comments I have read about Novi (where I currently live) are completely false. Take one small area for example, 13 mile & Novi Rd, Wexford Townhomes. About 2 - 3 years ago a few black people moved in and the white middle to upper middle class people started pouring out in droves. FACT. This opened up several dozen more units, which were purchased by about 60% whites and 40% blacks, and this further increase in the black population drove more whites out of the area. There is another complex of apartments at 14 mile & Novi Rd, Beachwalk, where something similar has recently started happening. To expand out a bit further, The Village at Beck & Pontiac Trail is from observation, only about 25% white, the rest a mix of non-english speaking hispanics and blacks. 10 years ago it was 99% white.

What's my point? Novi will suffer the same fate as Southfield, it will take longer, because Novi has more to offer than Southfield ever did, but it will eventually experience the same white flight. The small pockets that I described here and there are evidence of this.

The human condition puts our comfort zone within an area of people like ourselves, argue the reasons, name call, shut down and ignore all you want. It's truth.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
delayed, what you have described may be true for some people regarding their comfort zone. However, I have a different perspective. I grew up in Eastpointe, which was 100% white or nearly so. It was extremely rare to see a black person on a residential street. This was as recent as 10-15 years ago. I knew a few neighbors that, upon seeing the first black person, concluded that they had to move out at the first opportunity, and they did. (Good riddance).

On the other hand, there are many other white people who are willing to accept black people on the same terms as they would whites. If new black neighbors don't cause problems, takes care of their home, and disciplines their children, etc., they are accepted. Most white people that have stayed are delighted to see black people move in and even fix up their homes to better condition than the previous white residents. Whites feel that it is commendable that black people are moving out of bad areas in Detroit to live in better communities which the suburbs provide.

What's my point? That an increase in the black population shouldn't be termed a "suffering of fate". There are many good black people who desire the same peaceful, crime-free, well kept, quiet neighborhoods as white people. To the white people who feel that skin color is the ultimate determinant of a persons value and that all black people must be fled from, I say "Go, and go far away. You are not the type of person I want to live near."

Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Yesterday, I came across a truly amazing site that among numerous other cool features has a map that ranks neighborhoods by a "diversity index".

Macomb County GIS

Select "demographics" from the drop down menu, and then the "diversity index".

The way I found this site is I was looking for a plat map (which shows the outlines of properties). If you live in Macomb County, zoom in and you can see the surveyed dimensions of your property. You can also find area measurements using the "draw and measure" drop-down menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit