U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
5,863 posts, read 6,938,077 times
Reputation: 10148

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
What is your purpose of coming on here? I'm just very interested in why so many have joined C-D ONLY to talk bad about Detroit? Half of the people on here have never even been so what is your purpose?. Same goes for suburbanites? why do you come on here if its only to down Detroit? I mean I don't particularly like Daytona Beach BUT you won't catch me on their forum simply to talk bad about it.

Detroits problems have hurt our whole state. The whole state of Michigan is tagged with the burden of Detroits reputation. This cost us all since that reputation keeps business away, keeps investors away from the whole state. We all pay higher taxes because of Detroits massive social problems. Many of us have been victims of Detroits crime. Many in Michigan grew up in Detroit and watched it destroyed by the animals who have no respect for law order and decency. What you read on this forum is the anger of the people of Michigan for what has occured down there. The city of Detroit is a physical ruin and a cultural ruin, a true blight upon our state. It is now so bad that there is no hope for recovery. I realize the venting of this anger solves no problems, but you asked why it shows up in here and that is my answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,704,810 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Detroits problems have hurt our whole state. The whole state of Michigan is tagged with the burden of Detroits reputation. This cost us all since that reputation keeps business away, keeps investors away from the whole state. We all pay higher taxes because of Detroits massive social problems. Many of us have been victims of Detroits crime. Many in Michigan grew up in Detroit and watched it destroyed by the animals who have no respect for law order and decency. What you read on this forum is the anger of the people of Michigan for what has occured down there. The city of Detroit is a physical ruin and a cultural ruin, a true blight upon our state. It is now so bad that there is no hope for recovery. I realize the venting of this anger solves no problems, but you asked why it shows up in here and that is my answer.
Ahh just one of "those posters" I was looking for (sarcastic)

Lmao all your post about Detroit are negative. Tell me why don't you go to another forum and don't mention us???? ok?

Seriously you're (and many others) going to blame Detroit for MI problem when last I checked MI has plenty of cities with crime and blight. Hello Flint, Benton Harbor, Ypsi (not township, the booneys), Pontiac, Lansing, Mt Clemens, Hazel Park, Warren etc are you serious? MI as whole need to get its stuff together. Stop blaming US for all of MI problems. Plenty people who live in those cities I mentioned have never stepped foot in Detroit. So please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,704,810 times
Reputation: 646
Next.....

somebody please give me a real reason...not "people are mad about how their old neighborhoods look" or "Detroit gives MI a bad rep"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,543,067 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Finally, many people who were born or lived in Detroit and have left the area still think of themselves as a "Detoiter" so they feel they have a right to express themselves. Put yourself in their place: if you grew up in Detroit decades ago in a clean & safe neighborhood and then returned today and found your neighborhood in ruins, what would your reaction be?
Exactly. I have done the same, and have a thread somewhere on here about my reaction..

But, I'm glad to say, I'm movin' back down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
5,863 posts, read 6,938,077 times
Reputation: 10148
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Ahh just one of "those posters" I was looking for (sarcastic)

Lmao all your post about Detroit are negative. Tell me why don't you go to another forum and don't mention us???? ok?

Seriously you're (and many others) going to blame Detroit for MI problem when last I checked MI has plenty of cities with crime and blight. Hello Flint, Benton Harbor, Ypsi (not township, the booneys), Pontiac, Lansing, Mt Clemens, Hazel Park, Warren etc are you serious? MI as whole need to get its stuff together. Stop blaming US for all of MI problems. Plenty people who live in those cities I mentioned have never stepped foot in Detroit. So please

You asked a question and I gave you an answer. Your response is of course defensive and you tell me to leave the forum. You really cannot see why people in Michigan are angry with Detroit? Personally I think its a shame what happened there. I went to the city for the first time in 10 years in July and I expected to see blight. What I saw was so bad it shocked me, abandoned skyscrapers??? Cannot believe there are abandoned skyscrapers there. What is truly sad is how much history is there. Amid the ruins there are beautiful churches, art deco buildings, victorian homes, craftsman bungalows. Most of them are falling down now, or in need of alot of repair. Modern buildings will never have that kind of character. Had the people who live there taken care of that city it would be the historical gem of the midwest. Instead it has become a disgrace. I was born in the Detroit, my parents, grandparents and great grandparents called it home. My great grandparents whole neighborhood is nothing but unrecognizable foundations. My grandparents neighborhood is headed that way. The hospital I was born in is gone, the home I lived in as a small child is gone. With the riots and the rise of Colman young my parents made the wise decision to move away. Growing up when visiting my great grandparents and grandparents I watched the area fall apart. When I was young we would go for walks, play outside. By the time I was a teenager visiting there meant locking your self inside. When my grandparents passed, we had to go there and get everything out asap to avoid the house being stripped clean. The neighborhood had murders, drug dealers EVERYWHERE. Cars stripped on blocks on the street. This was in the 90s so things must be worse now. I know you will never understand why people like me are angry about what happened. You will just assume Im negative, or a racist or whatever you decide to label me as. I wish I could say I had hope for the place, but I know the citizens there do not see a problem. THey just think we all pick on them, and we are the reason it is the way it is. No one who lives there wants to take responsibility for the problems, no one has the ambition to try to clean it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,704,810 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You asked a question and I gave you an answer. Your response is of course defensive and you tell me to leave the forum. You really cannot see why people in Michigan are angry with Detroit? Personally I think its a shame what happened there. I went to the city for the first time in 10 years in July and I expected to see blight. What I saw was so bad it shocked me, abandoned skyscrapers??? Cannot believe there are abandoned skyscrapers there. What is truly sad is how much history is there. Amid the ruins there are beautiful churches, art deco buildings, victorian homes, craftsman bungalows. Most of them are falling down now, or in need of alot of repair. Modern buildings will never have that kind of character. Had the people who live there taken care of that city it would be the historical gem of the midwest. Instead it has become a disgrace. I was born in the Detroit, my parents, grandparents and great grandparents called it home. My great grandparents whole neighborhood is nothing but unrecognizable foundations. My grandparents neighborhood is headed that way. The hospital I was born in is gone, the home I lived in as a small child is gone. With the riots and the rise of Colman young my parents made the wise decision to move away. Growing up when visiting my great grandparents and grandparents I watched the area fall apart. When I was young we would go for walks, play outside. By the time I was a teenager visiting there meant locking your self inside. When my grandparents passed, we had to go there and get everything out asap to avoid the house being stripped clean. The neighborhood had murders, drug dealers EVERYWHERE. Cars stripped on blocks on the street. This was in the 90s so things must be worse now. I know you will never understand why people like me are angry about what happened. You will just assume Im negative, or a racist or whatever you decide to label me as. I wish I could say I had hope for the place, but I know the citizens there do not see a problem. THey just think we all pick on them, and we are the reason it is the way it is. No one who lives there wants to take responsibility for the problems, no one has the ambition to try to clean it up.
Is this a fact or did you assume that they were?
Obviously you're one of those people who haven't been here in a while.
From your other posts...yes
Are you telling me you are? I didn't assume anything. Can't tell your race over the computer unless you say it



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 PM
 
5,703 posts, read 15,515,073 times
Reputation: 8514
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Next.....

somebody please give me a real reason...not "people are mad about how their old neighborhoods look" or "Detroit gives MI a bad rep"
I am getting a little confused by this thread now. What reasons are you looking for in particular? I understand your frustrations with people logging on, like some dude from Iowa that never stepped foot into the city of Detroit bashing on what a horrible place it is. But for those that lived in the city and have seen the decline they share their disappointment and/or disgust with the changes. The last statistics I read sated that 70% of murders in Detroit go unsolved. Now you have to admit that is pretty bad. No? I agree the good things of Detroit are no longer mentioned and as I stated before it doesnt make good news. The media is focused on the bad. Like I said I moved away and one of the things I truly miss about the city is the diversity. I took it for granted as now where I live, there is no culture and social classes do not mix. I miss that professionals and blue collar mingled together in Detroit. I also want to add that I have mixed feelings about that new tv series airing this fall. Detroit 187 I believe its called. Just from the few previews of the show, it is only going to intensify the negative thinking out there. Ya know the stupid stuff like dead bodies in the streets and so forth. In one of the previews it showed the cops trying to solve a murder but couldnt figure out which shell casing to pick up since so many were laying in the gutter. IMO, Detroit screwed up by electing such corrupt city officials but I hear the winds of change. It is coming. I am not sure if it will bring the city back to what it was but getting those idiots out of office and in jail where they belong is a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Here.
13,400 posts, read 11,906,003 times
Reputation: 15729
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Like I've explained on here plenty of times how even in 2006 before I moved to Florida my neighborhood went from nice, majority owner, working people who sent their children to school and took care of their homes to now many whom rent, don't care about their children's education and homes when I moved back in 2008. I still never come on here with anything negative about Detroit or any city for that matter.
So, did Detroit change in just two years, or did your time spent away from Detroit change your perceptions of the city?

If a person has spent their whole life in Detroit (I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but just giving an example), then what happens in Detroit would seem normal and acceptable. But for someone who has spent time in a suburban setting or in another city altogether, then Detroit must seem like a very strange place, wouldn't you agree? Maybe in your opinion, they shouldn't post their negative comments here, but where else would you expect them to make a comment (positive or negative) about Detroit.

(Yeah, I know, syh, syh,....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 AM
 
679 posts, read 964,273 times
Reputation: 764
I haven't spent my entire life in Detroit. I moved here and it was a huge culture shock. I have never been in a city so preoccupied by race and "where you live" (as if it defines a person). I've only recently had the sense that this was "home". The Metro area is definitely different than other places that I have lived.

There are a lot of good things about the area; however, it's easy to see past them when the prevailing attitude is hate and distrust. I think that people who are asking questions on CD are asking for honest impressions of the area. Detroit is in a tough spot right now. There are good people in the city working for its betterment; however, there is also trash on the roadways and burned out buildings. I'm not going to lie and say that all is "sweetness and light" when it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Downtown Detroit
1,497 posts, read 3,023,523 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So, did Detroit change in just two years, or did your time spent away from Detroit change your perceptions of the city?

If a person has spent their whole life in Detroit (I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but just giving an example), then what happens in Detroit would seem normal and acceptable. But for someone who has spent time in a suburban setting or in another city altogether, then Detroit must seem like a very strange place, wouldn't you agree? Maybe in your opinion, they shouldn't post their negative comments here, but where else would you expect them to make a comment (positive or negative) about Detroit.

(Yeah, I know, syh, syh,....)
I know this is directed at DetroitLove, but I think I share some of his sentiments when I say that the Detroit bashing gets old. People who promote the incredibly good things in Detroit aren't asking people to do anything. Just to not crap all over it. I would say that in the last 2-5 years, much of Detroit's core has improved immensely, as well as certain neighborhoods. My folks who are life-long Metro Detroiters came down to visit the other day and couldn't believe how nice Midtown and Downtown are today versus in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Granted, my parents are of the type who NEVER come into the city and basically have nothing to do with it.

There are new developments everywhere, along Woodward, in New Center, along the river, in downtown, etc. Brand new restaurants, lofts, Starbucks, retail, and so on are sprouting up everyday. I had to physically show them the stuff going on because they wouldn't believe me if I just told them. I would venture to say that there are many people like my parents all over country, who are getting mixed messages about Detroit. The media focuses mostly on what is bad, when there is more positive here than negative to report on in recent history.

I will say that I am at the point where I don't care to keep using my time to convince people to come and enjoy Detroit. If people don't come and enjoy what I have, that's okay. But for the sake of Detroit based businesses who benefit from tourism and visitors, I feel bad when someone who has never been to Detroit has decided not to come here because some other fool who came here once 15 years ago says it is a scary place and everyone is dying. That is a total fallacy.

The ball is already rolling. I am happy as a pig in poop living in this city, and I'm well-traveled. Detroit is a great time with great people, great attractions, and a great sense of community and optimism. If you don't want to have access to everything being built in Detroit, then don't come. Just don't make it harder than it already is for people and businesses who are investing in Detroit to get their feet off the ground by trashing its image. That's not right. If a business fails because you give the impression that there's nothing good about Detroit, that's a handful of more unemployed Michiganders and the consequences that come with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top