U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM

999 posts, read 4,073,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Then why do so many suburbanites (and I'm generalizing) spend so little time actively helping to improve Detroit?
Because there aren't enough hours in the day. I can't go to work, (to pay my Detroit income tax), then come home and help my kids with their homework (so they can go to college and eventually get a job and help their own kids with their homework), keep my house in shape, make dinner so it can be ready when my wife gets home from work, help my other relatives who need things, and then magically find time to "actively help to improve Detroit." By paying taxes and raising my kids to be responable adults, and occasionally going to Detroit to spend my money and through supporting various Detroit churches, I AM actively helping Detroit, aren't I?

The more salient question might be: Why are there so few Detroiters actively helping Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 12 days ago)

13,387 posts, read 11,879,321 times
...and...would the help be appreciated or would it be resented and destroyed like everything else in the city? Why should I go into Detroit to fix up a vacant house if the chances are great that it will be firebombed or that I would be harassed or mugged?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,142,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Because there aren't enough hours in the day. I can't go to work, (to pay my Detroit income tax), then come home and help my kids with their homework (so they can go to college and eventually get a job and help their own kids with their homework), keep my house in shape, make dinner so it can be ready when my wife gets home from work, help my other relatives who need things, and then magically find time to "actively help to improve Detroit." By paying taxes and raising my kids to be responable adults, and occasionally going to Detroit to spend my money and through supporting various Detroit churches, I AM actively helping Detroit, aren't I?

The more salient question might be: Why are there so few Detroiters actively helping Detroit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
...and...would the help be appreciated or would it be resented and destroyed like everything else in the city? Why should I go into Detroit to fix up a vacant house if the chances are great that it will be firebombed or that I would be harassed or mugged?
So true. Many of those people came from Detroit after they watched the lack of care and concern for their city go downhill. I am sure they didn't just leave without a thought, they left without a hope.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,021,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post

Yes, you are. I apologize.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:59 PM

3,116 posts, read 6,970,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Then why do so many suburbanites (and I'm generalizing) spend so little time actively helping to improve Detroit? If Metro Detroiters spent as much time engaged in building Detroit back up as they do complaining about it from the sidelines, it wouldn't take as long as people think. Everyone stands around Detroit like a car wreck and points fingers at it without helping the passengers or putting out the fire. Instead of trying to find someone or something to blame for Detroit's decline, go do something to help make it stop. *Now, I'll sit and wait for the opposite to happen right here on this board.*
Maybe the suburbanites regard the situation as being pretty hopeless? Maybe they think investing money in Detroit is like pouring money into a sewer? It's not as though the suburbanites elected Kwame and Monica Conyers. It isn't the suburbanites who raise their children in such a way that their children don't learn to read or do simple math. It isn't the suburbanites who elected the corrupt school board, etc.

Ultimately, the citizens of Detroit are going to have to fix those problems themselves, and it's in their power, collectively, to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or