U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,716,514 times

Advertisements

What is your purpose of coming on here? I'm just very interested in why so many have joined C-D ONLY to talk bad about Detroit? Half of the people on here have never even been so what is your purpose?. Same goes for suburbanites? why do you come on here if its only to down Detroit? I mean I don't particularly like Daytona Beach BUT you won't catch me on their forum simply to talk bad about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 PM

58 posts, read 119,679 times
I think because it is easier to see/state the bad in something then the good. Overall, I think that people are interested in Detroit and that is why they come to the forum -- even though they have preconceive biases/modest information...people like to talk to just talk.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:09 PM

336 posts, read 795,936 times
Because the city I live in gets bagged on by these same people too, for the same reasons. Just as there are good things happening in Detroit, there are good things happening in Flint too.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM

13,490 posts, read 12,006,406 times
Well, first of all I don't think of Detroit in the limited sense of the 139 sq. mi. of the City of Detroit proper, but rather the whole metropolitan area.

Second, there are a lot of good and interesting things about the City of Detroit, but there are also a lot of bad and shameful things. I'd be willing to bet that the Detroiters who have fled the City in recent years would agree. Why not be honest? Nowhere is perfect for everyone, not even the suburbs (too boring for many). Witness [JS]'s bashing of Royal Oak, or whoever-it-was claiming that Eastpointe is full of gangs.

Finally, many people who were born or lived in Detroit and have left the area still think of themselves as a "Detoiter" so they feel they have a right to express themselves. Put yourself in their place: if you grew up in Detroit decades ago in a clean & safe neighborhood and then returned today and found your neighborhood in ruins, what would your reaction be?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,751,620 times
There are a whole bunch of other topics available in the General Forums. We talk bad about Detroit because that is our opinion, based on life experiences, facts, statistics (I know the saying about them lying), perception, or simple conjecture. We speak well of Detroit as well on here, based on the same things. If Detroit really isn't as bad as everyone says, then Detroit has a genuine problem with perception that must be corrected. I'm allowed to like or not like Detroit just as you and all the others on here are allowed to like it.
As to how I came across this site...I was looking up relocation information on Las Vegas a while back. I'd go there in a second if I could sell my white elephant of a property and if things were slightly different at work. Talking smack about Michigan came later.
Also, go look around at other C-D forums. It's amazing how much different they are than the Detroit one. There is so much fundamentally wrong with the city and the metro both, as a unit and individually, that I don't know if either will ever recover.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM

530 posts, read 1,364,925 times
Good natured ribbing.

Detroit is known as "The Motor City", yet houses only the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant.... which is a part of that company on the dole.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:59 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,596,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
What is your purpose of coming on here? I'm just very interested in why so many have joined C-D ONLY to talk bad about Detroit? Half of the people on here have never even been so what is your purpose?. Same goes for suburbanites? why do you come on here if its only to down Detroit? I mean I don't particularly like Daytona Beach BUT you won't catch me on their forum simply to talk bad about it.
The media has caused a lot of interest in Detroit unfortunately in a negative way. Everyone wants to report the train wreck. I left the Detroit area and moved out of state. I am amazed at the ideas people have about Detroit. I can't remember how long ago it was but someone on this forum actually stated that dead bodies just lay in the streets. Seriously? I mean commme onn! Of course that person had never even been to Detroit. But its not just this forum. People that I have met in my new locale are completely clueless and ask me odd questions all the time about Detroit. The simple answer to your question is people are ignorant and choose to believe the most sensational stories possible.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Well, first of all I don't think of Detroit in the limited sense of the 139 sq. mi. of the City of Detroit proper, but rather the whole metropolitan area.

Second, there are a lot of good and interesting things about the City of Detroit, but there are also a lot of bad and shameful things. I'd be willing to bet that the Detroiters who have fled the City in recent years would agree. Why not be honest? Nowhere is perfect for everyone, not even the suburbs (too boring for many). Witness [JS]'s bashing of Royal Oak, or whoever-it-was claiming that Eastpointe is full of gangs.

Finally, many people who were born or lived in Detroit and have left the area still think of themselves as a "Detoiter" so they feel they have a right to express themselves. Put yourself in their place: if you grew up in Detroit decades ago in a clean & safe neighborhood and then returned today and found your neighborhood in ruins, what would your reaction be?

this is a bunch of bullcrap. many posters comment just to be negative. If there are a hundred threads saying how dreadful the city is and one saying something positive, maybe not saying the city as a whole but just one particular thing, many C-D will open the thread simply to say "Detroit is a cesspool". So no I don't agree with any of this. Like I've explained on here plenty of times how even in 2006 before I moved to Florida my neighborhood went from nice, majority owner, working people who sent their children to school and took care of their homes to now many whom rent, don't care about their children's education and homes when I moved back in 2008. I still never come on here with anything negative about Detroit or any city for that matter. Plus seeing as 95% of the posters on here don't live in Detroit and never have or left in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Majority don't visit and never have. But somehow manage to take time out their day to say something negative. I haven't even read everyone's reply yet but I'm willing to bet most are negative.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
Good natured ribbing.

Detroit is known as "The Motor City", yet houses only the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant.... which is a part of that company on the dole.
actually there is a plant on Jefferson (chrysler) and Conner (chrysler as well)

Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
There are a whole bunch of other topics available in the General Forums. We talk bad about Detroit because that is our opinion, based on life experiences, facts, statistics (I know the saying about them lying), perception, or simple conjecture. We speak well of Detroit as well on here, based on the same things. If Detroit really isn't as bad as everyone says, then Detroit has a genuine problem with perception that must be corrected. I'm allowed to like or not like Detroit just as you and all the others on here are allowed to like it.
As to how I came across this site...I was looking up relocation information on Las Vegas a while back. I'd go there in a second if I could sell my white elephant of a property and if things were slightly different at work. Talking smack about Michigan came later.
Also, go look around at other C-D forums. It's amazing how much different they are than the Detroit one. There is so much fundamentally wrong with the city and the metro both, as a unit and individually, that I don't know if either will ever recover.
Actually most of what the posters on here say are not based on experiences. there obviously based on what the media tells them. Even people from the metro area. In reality majority of the suburbanites never ride through the city unless its for something they shouldn't be doing. The only part of the city where suburbanites hang out really is downtown for sports events or concerts then back to the burbs. Yes there are some who do come in other areas and have friends who live in the city but thats not the case with the majority. Some of the same posters who will say they do everything they can to avoid the city on one thread will get on another thread and say someone car jacked them smh.

Oh and btw when you say "we speak well of Detroit" who do you mean? because honestly you're one poster I've seen on many threads who posts only negative comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or