Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
They are moving away from the "things" that caused the abandonment and deterioration, the same "thing" that the whites moved away from.

Let me explain it in more simple terms. Whites didn't move away from blacks because of skin color. And whites didn't move away from blacks because of imaginary or perceived shortcoming of black culture. They moved away from the very things that blacks are moving away from - the actual, real, true shortcomings of black culture.

Only difference is that when whites moved, they are accused of moving because of racism, but blacks were moving because of "THINGS".
People leaving is what caused "abandonment and deterioration", not people staying. You are confusing the cause (suburban flight) with the symptom (abandonment). Take 50% of the people out of your present neighborhood and tell me if in 50 years it doesn't look like blighted crap.

Additionally, many whites did move away based on skin color (ever hear of BLOCKBUSTING????), and your analogy is a total contradiction. If black culture has a shortcoming then why are other blacks moving away from other blacks? This has nothing to do with race, it has to do with people.

Last edited by ForStarters; 09-29-2010 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Me in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
People leaving is what caused "abandonment and deterioration", not people staying. ??? First came the breakdown of society, then came white flight, then came black flight, then came abandonment. You are confusing the cause (suburban flight) with symptom (abandonment). No, I'm trying to show the hypocrisy of accusing whites of fleeing because of racism while attributing black flight to secondary factors. In fact, they are fleeing for the same reason: the breakdown of families and society in the black community. Take 50% of the people out of your present neighborhood and tell me if in 50 years it doesn't look like blighted crap. Or have 50% of the people not take care of their homes and see what the neighborhood looks like in 50 years.

Additionally, many whites did move away based on skin color (ever hear of BLOCKBUSTING????), Blockbusting was used for financial gain by real estate agents and housing developers, by moving blacks into white areas and convincing whites that they should move out to the suburbs. Prior to the change in laws which allowed blockbusting, residents could prevent such tactics... and your analogy is a total contradiction. If black culture has a shortcoming then why are other blacks moving away from other blacks? Because not all blacks are alike (and neither are all whites). This has nothing to do with race, it has to do with people. It has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with how people choose to live.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 PM

45 posts, read 95,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
It's pretty sad when even blacks don't want to live around other blacks.
Yes, it definitely is a sad thing... blacks could be the majority group in an amazing city if they handled it right. Unfortunately, middle class blacks are running away from the problems into areas that don't want them around.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
I can't believe someone from Eastpointe would deny this. White flight has hit Harper Woods hard.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Is it white flight when a white person wants to move to a new home out in X Township and the only willing buyer for their home is black? Or when an elderly white resident dies and the only offer is from a black couple?

Not the same as people fleeing because people with another skin color are moving in. Black people deserve to live in safe, clean, well-kept communities. It only makes sense that they would want to live near where they used to live.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolcraft View Post
Yes, it definitely is a sad thing... blacks could be the majority group in an amazing city if they handled it right. Unfortunately, middle class blacks are running away from the problems into areas that don't want them around.
Not true. If black people (of any class) want to move into my formerly all-white neighborhood and they don't cause trouble, and they raise their kids properly, and take care of their property (same qualifications I have for white people), then they are more than welcome.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
Quote:
Is it white flight when a white person wants to move to a new home out in X Township and the only willing buyer for their home is black? Or when an elderly white resident dies and the only offer is from a black couple?

Not the same as people fleeing because people with another skin color are moving in. Black people deserve to live in safe, clean, well-kept communities. It only makes sense that they would want to live near where they used to live.

My wife knows people who work at St Johns and lived in Harper Woods and moved as far out as New Baltimore because of the blacks moving into Harper Woods. They would rather drive 30-45 minutes then live next to blacks. The whites that are still left ***** they have to move because so many blacks are moving in.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 PM

Oh, I've had a few racist neighbors as well, I am ashamed to admit. But they were a very small percentage and have left long ago. I think most white people are pretty accepting of black people. It's not like the 1950s.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:05 PM

45 posts, read 95,877 times
Quote:
Not true. If black people (of any class) want to move into my formerly all-white neighborhood and they don't cause trouble, and they raise their kids properly, and take care of their property (same qualifications I have for white people), then they are more than welcome.
Maybe you would, but most whites would have the real estate signs out if their neighborhood became 50% to 80% black.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:06 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,698 times
Retroit, your history and perspectives on this topic are totally wrong; they fall flat on their face.

1. Suburban flight happend before whatever societal breakdown you are talking about. People began leaving Detroit in the 1950s once the federal government subsidized the construction of expressways, and to this day, they just keep going.

2. It is not feasible to maintain 100% of any city with 50% of the resources. The reason several areas of the city look like urban praries has nothing to do with Detroiters neglecting these areas, it is because the people to whom this property once belonged left it behind when they moved out of town. If your neighbors on both sides moved out tomorrow to live in Brighton, are you going make sure everyday for the next 50 years that their property doesn't fall into disrepair? I think that would impose an absurd obligation.

3. Yes, "blockbusting" was a financial tool used to decimate property values so slumlords could make massive land grabs, but they played on the racist fears of white residents. It was racism pure and simple. Nobody stood up to what was happening and said "Hey, maybe this Dr. Ossian Sweet isn't so bad; we don't have to leave."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit