U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 PM

5,863 posts, read 4,433,606 times
^ Too much crime, particularly shoplifting. Many Detroiters treat stores the way they treat their home and neighborhood, i.e. they trash the place. The cost of doing business in Detroit is higher than the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,098,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes29 View Post
I think it's pretty sad Detroit doesn't have a mall! And I don't mean a strip mall I mean a real mall. I have been to a lot of major cities and that is one thing each city have is a mall. Why isn't there a mall in Detroit???

To be fair Eastland is basically Detroit's mall. Older cities like Detroit and Chicago don't have your typical shopping malls. Those cities have more street level shopping.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:05 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 2,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
^ Too much crime, particularly shoplifting. Many Detroiters treat stores the way they treat their home and neighborhood, i.e. they trash the place. The cost of doing business in Detroit is higher than the suburbs.

really???? why is it that Eastland, Fairlane, Northland, Somerset, and Oakland be filled with Detroiters??? especially on the weekend. Huh whats funny is I shop at Somerset a lot and see so many "obviously Detroiters" walking around with more bags than the suburban people??? packed in the gucci and louis vuitton stores while the suburbanites walk past? lmao yea they're stealing idiot! They trash the place???? *dead* smh

Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
really???? why is it that Eastland, Fairlane, Northland, Somerset, and Oakland be filled with Detroiters??? especially on the weekend. Huh whats funny is I shop at Somerset a lot and see so many "obviously Detroiters" walking around with more bags than the suburban people??? packed in the gucci and louis vuitton stores while the suburbanites walk past? lmao yea they're stealing idiot! They trash the place???? *dead* smh
How do you know they are Detroiters? Do you ID them? Funny how the closest mall to Detroit is the one with car jackings and shootings.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
How do you know they are Detroiters? Do you ID them? Funny how the closest mall to Detroit is the one with car jackings and shootings.
Lets see, the majority of the black population in the Metro lives in Detroit (and Highland Park) followed by I believe Oak Park or Southfield and although cities like Eastpointe, Harper Woods and Dearborn have black people they are still a small percentage.....plus even if they are living in the burbs they are more than likely from Detroit. There aren't enough black people living in Troy to fill up Somerset or Oakland. All that combinded with the fact that Detroit doesn't have a mall so they shop in the burbs

Old 10-16-2010, 12:56 AM

and usually the malls where the city people shop are at are usually the most packed and the ones we don't shop at be dead like Macomb and Lakeside

Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 AM

5,863 posts, read 4,433,606 times
Quote:
How does that contradict anything that I've said? Isn't it possible for people to behave one way in one place and another way in another place? Isn't it possible for a person to act more well-behaved in a place where they know their uncivil actions will not be tolerated than where they know they will get away with it because it is culturally acceptable?

What do you think is the reason that there are more stores in the suburbs than the city?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Lets see, the majority of the black population in the Metro lives in Detroit (and Highland Park) followed by I believe Oak Park or Southfield and although cities like Eastpointe, Harper Woods and Dearborn have black people they are still a small percentage.....plus even if they are living in the burbs they are more than likely from Detroit. There aren't enough black people living in Troy to fill up Somerset or Oakland. All that combinded with the fact that Detroit doesn't have a mall so they shop in the burbs

More blacks live in Pontiac, Southfield, Oak Park etc than in Highland Park. So to be a true Detroiter is to be black? The Detroiters come to the malls and commit crime. Read the newspaper when a carjacking or shooting happens at Eastland. The story always begins with "John Doe of Detroit..." That's why the malls keep moving away from the city.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
More blacks live in Pontiac, Southfield, Oak Park etc than in Highland Park. So to be a true Detroiter is to be black? The Detroiters come to the malls and commit crime. Read the newspaper when a carjacking or shooting happens at Eastland. The story always begins with "John Doe of Detroit..." That's why the malls keep moving away from the city.
I doubt that people from Pontiac are driving all the way to Eastland, Norhtland or Fairlane to shop. Who said to be a true Detroiter you had to be black? the Fact is that majority of the blacks in the whole Metro live within city limits and I did mention both southfield and oak park, which both still have a nice size white (and other) population.And the majority of the Metro is still predomitely white. Once again many of the blacks who live in those cities are from Detroit. Um I can remember something happening at Macomb as well....and the person was not from Detroit. Most of you all ignore all the crime happening in the burbs by Suburban people smh and point your finger at Detroit. Many Detroit people spend their money and don't have to go to the mall to steal.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
How does that contradict anything that I've said? Isn't it possible for people to behave one way in one place and another way in another place? Isn't it possible for a person to act more well-behaved in a place where they know their uncivil actions will not be tolerated than where they know they will get away with it because it is culturally acceptable?

What do you think is the reason that there are more stores in the suburbs than the city?
lmao you're contridicting yourself. So are they stealing and trashing the malls or are they behaving differently because they know they will get caught????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit