Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times

Advertisements

Downtown riverfront area, corktown, the area near Eastern Market, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Wyandotte, Parts of Dearborn, she might find something small and cheap in Palmer park or in the pointes, but it woudl take a lot of searching and patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,374,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Remisc, is she looking for a house, or an apartment or condo? Will she have a roommate or just need a 1 bedroom? If she's looking for a house, I think either Woodbridge or Corktown would be good to check out in Detroit. If she's looking for an apartment/loft, there are some great places downtown. Same goes for condos. The condos at Riverfront Towers over by Joe Louis are selling for around 60k these days (Stevie Y lived there back in the day). There's also Lafayette Park, which has some very nice co-ops that are around 10k or in some cases less. I almost bought one in 1300 Lafayette East before I moved into my present place. The 1300 building is very clean and secure, and from what I know, it's mostly all professionals, i.e. doctors, lawyers, journalists, and even a few judges live there. Really a bargain if you ask me. Like others have stated, Ferndale is also a decent option based on what you said she's looking for. I'm just glad to see she was able to find a job in the city and is not leaving the state like so many other young people! Good luck with everything, as always.
Grand Lofts in SW are also nice

Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,374,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
Ann Arbor is the city that best meets the criteria the OP listed.
Ann Arbor is 40 min from the city on the freeway

Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,070,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
I forgot to mention in my private message that Berkley isn't very racially diverse, though. Mostly white with 50% of the population being either German or Irish.

Y'all know I just gotta ask---

What would be "very diverse?" Less than 40% white? More than 70% non-white? Of the 50% German / Irish, what percentage is Irish or German?

It sounds like it's problematic to be be Irish or German?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:18 AM

266 posts, read 849,507 times
LOL, I was wondering that too. Ferndale doesn't have a ton of African-Americans or Latin-Americans, but we have a very high percentage of Homosexual-Americans. And about 80% of us would qualify as "real characters." Is that diverse?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM

20,951 posts, read 19,384,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What would be "very diverse?" Less than 40% white? More than 70% non-white?
Good question. Although directed at [JS], I think that a diverse population is one that most directly reflects that of the greater region. In the tri-county area of metropolitan Detroit, the racial percentages are (as of 2000):
  • White: 68.7%
  • Black: 25.1%
  • Other: 6.2%
Berkley's percentages for the same year were:
  • White: 96.1%
  • Black: 0.7%
  • Other: 3.2%

Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,876,516 times
West Village...Jefferson/Van Dyke?

Old 10-23-2010, 01:59 PM

333 posts, read 1,149,159 times
How I see it, a diverse city would pretty much meet the following criteria:

- Majority population group with one or more large minority groups
- 1-2 large ethnic groups with many smaller ethnic groups in significant populations
- Visual signs of ethnic inhabitance - flags, businesses, etc.

Statistically, a city such as this would be an example of my opinion:

- 81% white, 11% black, 8% others
- 11% German, 10% Polish, 8% Irish, 5% French, 5% Italian, 4% each of Finns, Croats, Dutch, Estonians, Russians, Hispanics and Albanians
- 8% or more foreign born

The examples of race/ethnicity bare no matter, I only used them based on how common they are.

---
If I were a demographic philosopher, I'd most likely coin and use the term "majority city" for Berkley because it is mainly white with a huge German/Irish population. On the other end of the spectrum of diversity, something like Hamtramck with racial/ethnic statistics reaching close to the majority group I'd call an "integrated city" because it's gone past the point of being ethnically diverse and it's reached a point where the minority groups assume a position as a small majority.

Something like Ferndale, Hazel Park or West Bloomfield I'd consider a "diverse city" because they meet the criteria I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Northsider 248; 10-23-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 PM

926 posts, read 2,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Remisc, is she looking for a house, or an apartment or condo? Will she have a roommate or just need a 1 bedroom? If she's looking for a house, I think either Woodbridge or Corktown would be good to check out in Detroit. If she's looking for an apartment/loft, there are some great places downtown. Same goes for condos. The condos at Riverfront Towers over by Joe Louis are selling for around 60k these days (Stevie Y lived there back in the day). There's also Lafayette Park, which has some very nice co-ops that are around 10k or in some cases less. I almost bought one in 1300 Lafayette East before I moved into my present place. The 1300 building is very clean and secure, and from what I know, it's mostly all professionals, i.e. doctors, lawyers, journalists, and even a few judges live there. Really a bargain if you ask me. Like others have stated, Ferndale is also a decent option based on what you said she's looking for. I'm just glad to see she was able to find a job in the city and is not leaving the state like so many other young people! Good luck with everything, as always.
How much were your HOA fees? I am finding affordable condos (under $60k) but the HOA fees are over $1k a month!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:22 PM

866 posts, read 4,244,871 times
What about the "Cabbage Patch" district of Grosse Pointe Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit