Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:26 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,930,569 times

Advertisements

The trolls on this site are hoping the rest of us are stupid, ignorant, or have never been anywhere else.
Drive through Chicago's south side at night. Convenience stores lock their doors at dusk and customers knock for entrance or a clerk comes to the door and asks you what they can get you. The attendants are behind bulletproof glass and take your money thru a sliding drawer. Okay, they're cautious.
Older cars full of young men sit watching for no apparent reason. Okay maybe they're cops, but I doubt it.
A panhandler at a gas station asked me for a dollar - I gave him a ten. He looked at me strangely and hurried away. I thought why no thank you? He obviously thought I had made a mistake.

Check the crime maps for other cities and the comments, you might be surprised! Things are starting to happen and people are concerned.
Some people have a thinly disguised hatred of Detroit and its residents. They tell you that they are "realistic" and want to help. They don't! Let's quit responding to the trolls and elevate the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The trolls on this site are hoping the rest of us are stupid, ignorant, or have never been anywhere else.
Drive through Chicago's south side at night. Convenience stores lock their doors at dusk and customers knock for entrance or a clerk comes to the door and asks you what they can get you. The attendants are behind bulletproof glass and take your money thru a sliding drawer. Okay, they're cautious.
Older cars full of young men sit watching for no apparent reason. Okay maybe they're cops, but I doubt it.
A panhandler at a gas station asked me for a dollar - I gave him a ten. He looked at me strangely and hurried away. I thought why no thank you? He obviously thought I had made a mistake.

Check the crime maps for other cities and the comments, you might be surprised! Things are starting to happen and people are concerned.
Some people have a thinly disguised hatred of Detroit and its residents. They tell you that they are "realistic" and want to help. They don't! Let's quit responding to the trolls and elevate the conversation.
well said

Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,198 times
Quote:

Unfortunately the trolls outnumber us. It'd be nice to have a place to discuss things without people with an agenda fueled by hate.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 AM

758 posts, read 1,960,388 times
Chicago's South Side is awful, but I don't think that should be the model for Detroit.

Detroit can do better, and the excuse that "Chicago has vast ghettos so we can have them too" doesn't hold water.

Chicago, while vastly overrated and second-tier (IMO), also has many stable and thriving neighborhoods. Detroit needs to build up more stable areas. It's essentially in triage mode.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 AM

Default Trolls

Let me be clear, it pains me to criticize another city, especially one I love, but I wanted to respond to the trolls who seem to have an agenda - they've been getting away with a lot. Some trolls are subtle, let's not feed 'em!
Chicago is a GREAT city - I love it! I'm into blues music and Chicago blues is the best thing to ever happen to music. It's one of the city's gifts to the world, (among many others). That's why I found myself in Chicago on occasion. The media would have you think every city is one or two-dimensional. People who live there know differently. This includes Detroit.
The natl media deals in cliches (keeps things simple for their dumbed-down audience) - every city has its cliche image ("cars, crime & blight" for Detroit). Think about the cliche images we have for other cities, they've all got 'em.
Okay this is a rant, but I think it's pertinent.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that Detroit is normal? It seems to me that, measured by all the other places in our country, the City of Detroit and the South Side of Chicago are abnormal. True, they may be typical inner cities, but for the majority of people in this country, who by the way don't live in inner cities, they are atypical.

In other words, the so-called "trolls" outnumber whatever it is that you are. In metropolitan Detroit, 80% of the people live outside the city proper.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 AM

Default Entrepreneurship in detwah

Wha.....have I hit a nerve?
A short note about Chicago's historic south side that I remember - it's BIG and takes a long time to drive through. As you know, the city is long & narrow, drive west and it become more prosperous.
I like the original post about a new grocery in Detroit, because I remember how businesses followed the "poverty fringe" outward to the burbs. Why not focus this thread on new businesses and the entrepreneurial spirit I hear is developing in the city. I heard that Motor City Denim has converted an old upholstery factory in the burbs to the manufacture & design of clothing Detroit style? Yes, I've seen it. It's unique! There is other stuff going on I'm sure. I believe there is creative talent in the city that can be exploited if recognized (Berry Gordy knew this). Detroit has always engendered talented people - many actors & directors are in Hollywood because that's where the industry is. The movie industry in Michigan could be a loss-leader until it picks up steam.
I'd like to keep following these posts for updates on what's developing.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,561 times
Lightbulb Quick Update:

To help steer this ship back on course .... word on the street is that Ye Ole Butcher Shop on Woodward in lower Midtown is prepping to reopen first of the year. This place was open for a while and then closed. They then announced that they would reopen this past May, but interior work has been going on for many months and it looks like they're finally all done. My expectation is that they will be open again in January, so we'll see. Ye Ole Butcher Shop is a high quality grocery/butcher. In the past they carried top-notch stuff, so I hope they continue that tradition.

Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe Press Release | Facebook

Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
This is great. It creates jobs, it gives purpose to an empty downtown building, and it gives the local people a shot at some home-cooked meals not based on McNugget or Franco-American technology. I only hope it's not some dinkweedy gourmet place that will close in 6 months because nobody wants to pay $4 per orange.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,162 times
Back on topic folks, this thread is not about Chicago.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit