Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 07:00 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Anton is one of the organizers of a rally scheduled for noon Monday at the McNamara Federal Building in downtown Detroit. He said he hopes Assyrians, Chaldeans and other Christians will be joined by Jews, Muslims and people of other faiths in generating support for persecuted Christians in Iraq.
Detroit rally planned to back Iraqi Christians | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20101107/NEWS05/11070603/1320/Detroit-rally-planned-to-back-Iraqi-Christians - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Attach some photos, if anyone goes! Sounds like an interesting event.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM

449 posts, read 934,344 times
That's a laugh.

100% of the time, when it comes to friction between the same Muslims that oppress and kill the Christian Arabs, and the Jews, the Arab Christians side with their oppressive Arab brethren. Now, they expect Jews to stick up for them, even though they themselves stand against the Jews every chance they get. If that isn't the very definition of Chutzpah I don't know what is.

The funny part is I'm sure a lot of Jews will stand with them anyway. Even though it is still the right thing to do, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to reciprocate. It will be a cold day in hell when that happens.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
That's a laugh.

100% of the time, when it comes to friction between the same Muslims that oppress and kill the Christian Arabs, and the Jews, the Arab Christians side with their oppressive Arab brethren. Now, they expect Jews to stick up for them, even though they themselves stand against the Jews every chance they get. If that isn't the very definition of Chutzpah I don't know what is.

The funny part is I'm sure a lot of Jews will stand with them anyway. Even though it is still the right thing to do, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to reciprocate. It will be a cold day in hell when that happens.
I guess it depends on your thinking.

If you think that EVERYONE adheres 100% to all stereotypes without any differentiation from the stereotypical norm, than alright.

But my guess is that there actually ARE Iraqi people who aren't 100% 'evil' as you portray them, and have an interest to reach out to others and let themselves be known as living examples of Iraqis different than the stereotype.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Muslims don't even march in Detroit when Sunnis (Muslims) attack Shiite (Muslim) mosques in Iraq, so I would doubt they will show much support for Christians.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM

348 posts, read 638,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
That's a laugh.

And isn't it funny how today's right-wing Zionist Jews seem to have more in common with Neo-Nazis and Neo-Crusaders.

And thank God for Jews who still recognize and acknowledge BS when they see it, and have the chutzpah to call a spade, a spade.

Arab Christians seem to have fared much better (among Moslems, Jews, Yezidis, Kurds) before the establishment of the colonial enterprise called Israel, and the US invasion of Iraq (under false pretenses).

The stats-figures-numbers speak for themselves.

That is why the Christian Palestinian Arabs living in Chile (hundreds of thousands, mostly refugees from US-condoned terror in Israel and the occupied West Bank) warmly received and aided stateless Palestinian Moslem refugees also fleeing Iraq.

When push comes to shove, THEY (Christian, Moslem or "Boslem") are all Arabs, and WE are invaders and colonialists.

Funny how our concerned citizens seem to have no comment about Israel's "handling" of Palestinian Christians, their fate?
but are out to demonize the entire population of Middle East over the fate of Iraqi Christians.

Try talking to a Jerusalem Palestinian Christian....and ask him who is responsible for his fate....and he definitely won't be pointing HIS finger in the direction of Baghdad, Riyad, or Istanbul. He knows that his enemy is sitting in Tel Aviv, New York, and Washington.
He knows WHY he is a second-class citizen in his own homeland.

Instead of invading Iraq, maybe Bush should have invaded Detroit and cleaned up his own country's mess.

Instead of sending billions annually to Israel, maybe the US Congress should vote to send some of those BILLIONS to Michigan and Ohio.

IF ONLY a third of the annual sum that is transferred to Israel were spent in Detroit? (or even to specifically help THOSE Arab Christians? Yeah, if Christian Arabs are endangered, shouldn't the US be sending THEM billions as well?)
If only a fraction of the annual amount that is wasted on that war in Iraq had been spent on fixing up those aging highways...

Shouldn't charity begin at home?
And aren't nation-states FIRSTLY responsible for their own citizens?

Last edited by SadieMirsade; 11-08-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 12:00 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
For all the Jew/Muslim/Christian drama that's created, West Bloomfield has a Jewish Community Campus and Dearborn has large Muslim Arab and Christian Arab populations. I have never seen or heard of any Jihads in SE Michigan and never had a problem getting paid when working for any of those parties.

Makes me wonder how much of the drama is just deadenders stirring trouble.

Besides, who can fight when there's hummus to be eaten?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 PM

348 posts, read 638,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
For all the Jew/Muslim/Christian drama that's created, West Bloomfield has a Jewish Community Campus and Dearborn has large Muslim Arab and Christian Arab populations. I have never seen or heard of any Jihads in SE Michigan and never had a problem getting paid when working for any of those parties.

Makes me wonder how much of the drama is just deadenders stirring trouble.

Besides, who can fight when there's hummus to be eaten?
I have a cookbook which was published in Brazil (Porto Alegre) by a Moldavian-Ashkenazi Jewish-Brazilian and a Christian-Arab Syrian-Brazilian.

The title of the book is: "The Table of Peace"!
(A Mesa da Paz)
Levantine gourmet fare is featured prominently in their "spread for peace".

(ps. I'd never trade shmaltzy pastrami, pickled herring, sauerkraut and Montreal bagels for hummus!)

Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
I'd never trade shmaltzy pastrami, pickled herring, sauerkraut and Montreal bagels for hummus!)
Yeah but if you had too much, would you trade some for hummus and tabouli? I'd offer more but the truth is that I didn't know the names. I always ordered by number.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Before this thread turns ugly, I'd like to remind everyone that this is the Detroit forum, not politics and other controversies (where you should discuss controversial matters, like the Israel/Arab conflict, for example). Remember to discuss local issues here.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: