Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Perhaps I should have rephrased that one line
...with parts of the city proper (but not all of it)....

FWIW, even the south side has Hyde Park, not white, but appealing to some.
Actually, it's half white and appealing to many (along with adjacent areas like Kenwood and Oakland). For instance, Barack Obama, Sara Paretsky, and many of the world's top professors who want to live near work. Have you even looked at Chicago on Google Maps, let alone visited?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Actually, it's half white and appealing to many (along with adjacent areas like Kenwood and Oakland). For instance, Barack Obama, Sara Paretsky, and many of the world's top professors who want to live near work. Have you even looked at Chicago on Google Maps, let alone visited?
This guy is making stuff up.

The South Side is about 90% black.

There is only one neighborhood with any amount of whites, which is a few blocks of Hyde Park around the U of Chicago.

The only other non-black areas are far Southeast Side, which is Mexican. Also, there's the far Southwest Side, which has some whites, but really only in one remaining neighborhood.

Also, he's full of BS regarding the desirability of Hyde Park. It's not a very nice area, and the VAST majority of U of C professors do not live in the area. They mostly live on the North Side or in the suburbs.

Even most grad students don't live in the area. Most undergrads do, because they are required to live in dorms.

Truth be told, while Chicago is overall a healthier city than Detroit, Chicago's West and South Sides are ghetto as hell, and as bad as the worst Detroit neighborhoods.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Chicago is a unique case, with the city proper (and not all of it) bustling, fashionable, and downright unaffordable,
Eh, like 10% (at most) of Chicago is "bustling, fashionable, and downright unaffordable". Heck, for downright affordable, maybe 2%.

The yuppie parts of Chicago are a very small part of the city. Most of Chicago is poor and ghetto. Not as much of the city as in Detroit, but still most.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
This guy is making stuff up.

The South Side is about 90% black.

There is only one neighborhood with any amount of whites, which is a few blocks of Hyde Park around the U of Chicago.

The only other non-black areas are far Southeast Side, which is Mexican. Also, there's the far Southwest Side, which has some whites, but really only in one remaining neighborhood.

Also, he's full of BS regarding the desirability of Hyde Park. It's not a very nice area, and the VAST majority of U of C professors do not live in the area. They mostly live on the North Side or in the suburbs.

Even most grad students don't live in the area. Most undergrads do, because they are required to live in dorms.

Truth be told, while Chicago is overall a healthier city than Detroit, Chicago's West and South Sides are ghetto as hell, and as bad as the worst Detroit neighborhoods.
OK

We were talking about Hyde Park, which is 1/2 white. All but one southwest side neighborhood is majority white, I should know, I live on the southwest side. As for the desirability of Hyde Park, that is subjective, but try taking a look at the Chicago forum on CD to get some opinions from people that have actually been to the neighborhood. I've been there, repeatedly, and it's pretty desirable, imo.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Quote:
OK

We were talking about Hyde Park, which is 1/2 white. All but one southwest side neighborhood is majority white, I should know, I live on the southwest side. As for the desirability of Hyde Park, that is subjective, but try taking a look at the Chicago forum on CD to get some opinions from people that have actually been to the neighborhood. I've been there, repeatedly, and it's pretty desirable, imo.
In south side Chicago, neighborhoods such as Beverly and much of the area to the south and west of Midway Airport have a lot of whites. North of Midway the area gets bad in a hurry. Bridgeport (by US Cellular Field aka Comiskey Park) has a large white population as well.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
In south side Chicago, neighborhoods such as Beverly and much of the area to the south and west of Midway Airport have a lot of whites. North of Midway the area gets bad in a hurry. Bridgeport (by US Cellular Field aka Comiskey Park) has a large white population as well.
Actually, the next neighborhood south of Midway is majority black, but is very well kept and fairly safe. North of Midway is overwhelming ok. A mile north on Cicero Ave. the street looks pretty rough, but it's really not a particularly bad area. Immediately south of the Stevenson is a large housing project, which does have a fair amount of crime, along with adjacent blocks.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Quote:
Actually, the next neighborhood south of Midway is majority black, but is very well kept and fairly safe. North of Midway is overwhelming ok. A mile north on Cicero Ave. the street looks pretty rough, but it's really not a particularly bad area. Immediately south of the Stevenson is a large housing project, which does have a fair amount of crime, along with adjacent blocks.
My memory is a teeny bit fuzzy as I haven't been by there in two years. I was in Chicago recently but spent more time on the north side and in the Loop. I remember that project...isn't that at 47th Street? I seem to remember that once you cross 47th it got bad fast. Down towards 63rd (I think that's the intersection with Giordano's Pizza) it seemed a lot more reasonable.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
You're talking about LeClaire Courts. State and Federal housing authorities have wanted to shut it down for years. I don't know if they have managed to do so, but the place looks very empty when you drive by it.

Quote:
My memory is a teeny bit fuzzy as I haven't been by there in two years. I was in Chicago recently but spent more time on the north side and in the Loop. I remember that project...isn't that at 47th Street? I seem to remember that once you cross 47th it got bad fast. Down towards 63rd (I think that's the intersection with Giordano's Pizza) it seemed a lot more reasonable.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's about right. The projects are actually a little farther north, and things look worse then they really are along that stretch of Cicero.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Did this somehow become the Chicago forum while I was sleeping last night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit