U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,185,488 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9uWSNbHEps

A short video on Detroit's bid for the 1968 Olympics. Detroit was a bidder for every summer games from 1952-1972. Detroit finished runner up in 1964 and 1968. Detroit was close to winning the games in 68 and some felt they were a favorite over Mexico City. This video and Detroit's bid for the Olympics was before the 67 riots. Their bid for the 72 games was in 66. From what I can find out, the stadium would've been built at the fairgrounds. I would imagine the stadium would've been used to host the Lions and the Silverdome would've never been built.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:25 PM

6,095 posts, read 4,775,318 times
Detroit would make a good venue today for the Olympics. There is so much usable land within the city that is either vacant or has not much worth saving. Everyone knows Detroit needs help because of the recent economic problems. We have two relatively new stadiums and probably one more on the way. Etc.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 PM

Here is a model of a proposed stadium for the Detroit Olympics in 68. The site I heard was the fairgrounds. You can see in the bottom left Woodward. It would appear 8 Mile is the road on the top. Another person felt this was where Comerica Park is now and that road on the top is 75 and what appears to be another road to the right with a bridge over it is 375. My only problem with that was in the 60's that area wasn't vacant like in the 90's and the Hudson warehouse was there and still functioning.

Another interesting picture is the proposed Olympic Village for the southwest corner of 94 and the Lodge. As you can see 12th st is to the left. The riots started at 12th and Clairmont only 2 miles north. It really would've been interesting to see how Detroit would've handled this. There is a possibility the rioters could've attacked the Olympic Village. My guess is where the number 1 is, is Warren Ave with the Lodge/94 interchange NW of number 2.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Detroit would make a good venue today for the Olympics. There is so much usable land within the city that is either vacant or has not much worth saving. Everyone knows Detroit needs help because of the recent economic problems. We have two relatively new stadiums and probably one more on the way. Etc.
Never happen. First the IOC looks at the available public transportation. People in this area bitched and moaned and fought against 3 miles of rail. Every city in the US and Canada the size of Detroit has rail transit. Part of Chicago's bid (and Detroit's bid in 1968) was to use McCormick Place. Again, people bitched and moaned and fought expansion and improvement of Cobo Hall. Detroit has no money and again people will ***** and moan and fight spending in Detroit to attract the Olympics. The Olympics don't just come to you and then you provide the infrastructure, the IOC looks for cities with infrastructure and Detroit's has pretty much remained unchanged since its bid for the 68 games.

I really wonder how having the games in 68 would've changed Detroit. The proposed stadium looks more like a baseball stadium than a football stadium. Could the Tigers have moved there? What if they built the monorail like they proposed in the video? To think we are 40 years behind. Would the citizens come together only a year after the riots to unite and put on a good show for the World? I really think having the games could've helped because they would've came at one of the most crucial times in the history of Detroit. Detroit earned a bad reputation that has yet to be shaken. If the Olympics came to Detroit the year after the riots and Detroit put on a good show, does the perception of Detroit then change? Would the world see a city on fire or the world class city that was worthy of hosting the games? It's really interesting to reflect on what could've been. I guess if I would've wrote how terrible Detroit is, there would've been more responses.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 AM

902 posts, read 1,082,543 times
The IOC are a bunch of European aristocrats that don't have a clue . They continue to bring us '' edge of your seat '' events such as Equestrian competitions (who in the hell cares about those?) while cancelling events like Women's baseball and talk of doing the same with Women's hockey . Most host cities end up in the red after the games are done , some for many many years after .

Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 AM

7,699 posts, read 10,502,258 times
That was the Detroit my family knew. My great-grand parents, uncles, aunts and cousins all lived in that Detroit. My wife's family came over in 1900 across the Detroit River from Windsor via Toronto before leaving Wales. They all established roots in the city and did very well for awhile.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
The IOC are a bunch of European aristocrats that don't have a clue . They continue to bring us '' edge of your seat '' events such as Equestrian competitions (who in the hell cares about those?) while cancelling events like Women's baseball and talk of doing the same with Women's hockey . Most host cities end up in the red after the games are done , some for many many years after .
The city that ended up in the red many years after was Montreal and that was their own fault. Los Angeles made a huge profit in 84 by using exisiting infrastructure. The Olympics in Atlanta in 96 has had a long lasting impact. No one considered Atlanta a world class city prior to 96. After the Olympics Atlanta experience sizable growth and changed the image of Atlanta. If Detroit had hosted the 68 games, that really could've helped Detroit restore its image and hopefully grow as Atlanta did in 96. Plus the Silverdome would've never been built and the new Olympic stadium would've been used and hosted the Lions. Montreal screwed up because they built a lot of new facilities that were poorly designed. Detroit had facilities available and use for new ones.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM

6,095 posts, read 4,775,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Never happen. First the IOC looks at the available public transportation. People in this area bitched and moaned and fought against 3 miles of rail. Every city in the US and Canada the size of Detroit has rail transit.
Like as if the athletes and attendees would prefer mass transit over driving cars almost assuredly loaned by the Big3.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Like as if the athletes and attendees would prefer mass transit over driving cars almost assuredly loaned by the Big3.
LOL this has got to be the funniest thing I have read on this forum. So do spectators take their ticket stubs to the local Ford dealership and pick up their Fusion? Does it have Olympic decals on the doors? Thousands of people from all over the world come to these games and we are going to pass out 80,000 automobiles

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM

968 posts, read 1,743,082 times
Wow, look at the Detroit skyline.

God, that sure does take me way back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit