U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,550,613 times
I went to Birmingham schools many years ago but if I had kids would want them to go there or Bloomfield Hills. I think both I read were on the top 10 list of schools in Michigan. Other Oakland County schools were mentioned and also Gross Pointe. The homes in these areas are very safe and family oriented. Most are upscale but because of people having a hard time selling they are renting them out for a more affordable price. I am not sure if it is all of MI but the city you live in may not be the school district your child will go to. For ex people living in Bloomfield Hills may go to Birmingham schools depending on the location. Good luck in your move and if I can help in any way you can email me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM

260 posts, read 214,701 times
After reading the OP's posts, I would have to go with Utica.

Unread 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM

89 posts, read 121,464 times
Grosse Pointe is going to be much more expensive than several of the other cities/townships mentioned. Utica Schools, L'Anse Creuse Schools, and Richmond Schools are good. Marysville, New Baltimore, and Chippewa Valley Schools are fairly good. Rochester schools are very good, although Rochester is a little further to the west of Selfridge - but still worth looking into.

Avoid the Clintondale district. I've had friends with kids there, and the dedication to teaching and safety issues were just abysmal. The kids moved into Fraser school district this year, and are dramatically happier.

This website includes links to show the school district boundary lines. Most of the school districts I mentioned are in Macomb County, although Rochester is just over the border into Oakland County.

CGI - Michigan School District Maps by County

This following link is to the GreatSchools.org site, which gives rankings on different schools & school districts. Just type the name of the school district into the search box and you'll get data. I happened to link to L'anse Creuse Schools, which is one of the better ranked school districts in the area.
Schools in L'Anse Creuse Public Schools - Harrison Township, MI | GreatSchools

Best of luck to you!

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:55 PM

48 posts, read 85,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I went to Birmingham schools many years ago but if I had kids would want them to go there or Bloomfield Hills. I think both I read were on the top 10 list of schools in Michigan. Other Oakland County schools were mentioned and also Gross Pointe. The homes in these areas are very safe and family oriented. Most are upscale but because of people having a hard time selling they are renting them out for a more affordable price. I am not sure if it is all of MI but the city you live in may not be the school district your child will go to. For ex people living in Bloomfield Hills may go to Birmingham schools depending on the location. Good luck in your move and if I can help in any way you can email me.
Thanks. Are the homes being listed fro rent locally or through realtors? We want to rent for the first year before buying our own home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
Grosse Pointe is going to be much more expensive than several of the other cities/townships mentioned. Utica Schools, L'Anse Creuse Schools, and Richmond Schools are good. Marysville, New Baltimore, and Chippewa Valley Schools are fairly good. Rochester schools are very good, although Rochester is a little further to the west of Selfridge - but still worth looking into.

Avoid the Clintondale district. I've had friends with kids there, and the dedication to teaching and safety issues were just abysmal. The kids moved into Fraser school district this year, and are dramatically happier.

This website includes links to show the school district boundary lines. Most of the school districts I mentioned are in Macomb County, although Rochester is just over the border into Oakland County.

CGI - Michigan School District Maps by County

This following link is to the GreatSchools.org site, which gives rankings on different schools & school districts. Just type the name of the school district into the search box and you'll get data. I happened to link to L'anse Creuse Schools, which is one of the better ranked school districts in the area.
Schools in L'Anse Creuse Public Schools - Harrison Township, MI | GreatSchools

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the help!I love Grosse Pointe but I am worried that it seems more expensive than other areas. We only have one income while I am finishing my degree.
I have been to the great schools website and it is very helpful.

Unread 12-30-2010, 05:55 PM

89 posts, read 121,464 times
FYI: Birmingham is one of the most expensive suburbs of Detroit, and the commute to Selfridge would be very, very long. Birmingham is, in many ways, more expensive than "the Pointes" (the different Grosse Pointe cities).

Be aware that urban sprawl has really expanded on the upper east side from the city. If you are commuting toward the north and east during normal rush hour, you'll probably be going opposite of the flow of traffic. A lot of people have moved out to areas like Shelby Township/Utica, Richmond, Romeo, and other towns up at that area, but their jobs are in the Detroit metro area. The commute on I-94 is something to keep in mind. You might talk with people at the base for some suggestions, too.

Unread 12-30-2010, 06:18 PM

216 posts, read 470,229 times
St. Clair has great schools (East China School District). They have a great reputation and are some of the best in the area. St. Clair is along the river and about 10 miles east of I-94.

Unread 12-30-2010, 11:17 PM

48 posts, read 85,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
FYI: Birmingham is one of the most expensive suburbs of Detroit, and the commute to Selfridge would be very, very long. Birmingham is, in many ways, more expensive than "the Pointes" (the different Grosse Pointe cities).

Be aware that urban sprawl has really expanded on the upper east side from the city. If you are commuting toward the north and east during normal rush hour, you'll probably be going opposite of the flow of traffic. A lot of people have moved out to areas like Shelby Township/Utica, Richmond, Romeo, and other towns up at that area, but their jobs are in the Detroit metro area. The commute on I-94 is something to keep in mind. You might talk with people at the base for some suggestions, too.

We don't have a sponsor from the base so we will be winging this move. But I do know it was mentioned that several people are choosing to live in Romeo over the Pointes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmi605 View Post
St. Clair has great schools (East China School District). They have a great reputation and are some of the best in the area. St. Clair is along the river and about 10 miles east of I-94.
Thanks. I haven't seen alot of rental available there though

Unread 01-01-2011, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 8,710 times
I live in Shelby Forest a manufactured home park but a little upscale than usual parks! 23 and Schoenner tHINK RENT STARTS AT $403 AND YOU GET 1200 SG FT i HAVE A 1680 pay $423
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit