U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,880,189 times

Advertisements

The owner of Galapagos Detroit arts project has decided not to sell a large industrial building near Corktown and Mexicantown and instead says he'll develop it into an artists' colony with tenants eventually sharing in future property appreciation.

Galapagos was formerly based in Brooklyn, N.Y. but sold its property there and is now planning new facilities in Detroit and Highland Park.

Founder Robert Elmes said the old industrial structure at 1800 18th Street will be known as CommonWealth or NestEgg. Artists and other tenants who rent space in the building will be eligible to receive a distribution of the increase in the building's value in 10 years, he told the Free Press on Tuesday.

At that time, he’ll refinance and distribute 20% of the expected increase in property values to artists residing in the building, he said. In addition to artist work space, about 10 retail spaces are also planned. He also plans a cafe and a day-care center known as Galapagos Kids! as well as a merchandise display space where artists and craft workers can sell their wares.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...lmes/84484464/

Galapagos Hosts Open House for Commonwealth - Curbed Detroit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 03:15 PM

944 posts, read 1,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I was coming to post this. They served breakfast, burgers and fries. No other sandwiches or options. No wonder they closed.
I never even tried it after a co-worker tried it and his burger was still raw. (Not pink, raw) A few other co-workers tried it but no one liked it.
That spot has a pretty bad track record. Hopefully something decent will open up. It is a pretty small space. I was scoping out the empty space next to it, and it looks like it could easily be expanded into one larger space if the demand was there.
It's going to be a Shake Shack

Old 05-23-2016, 04:44 PM

30,327 posts, read 75,333,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
It's going to be a Shake Shack
Darn. I was hoping for an extension of the Shack of Sit. We need more retail anyway. Click image for larger version

Name:	shack_of_sit._6089554675.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	170130

Old 05-24-2016, 01:47 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,509,621 times
Yup. Stake Shack is opening on woodward and Cadillac square Shake Shack to open in Detroit's Campus Martius area

Speaking of Cadillac Square... a "sports zone" opens there http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...adillac-square

And speaking of sports, the most anticipated store (for me) so far this year is opening up on Thursday. I'm really hoping to be impressed when I visit the Nike Store. New Detroit Nike Store Gets Opening Date, Time - And Tom Izzo

I'm still waiting to hear some updated news about the "Under Armor" store.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:31 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,090,874 times
Nike opens its flagship Michigan store in Downtown Detroit today.

See inside the new Nike Community Store in Downtown Detroit | MLive.com

I'm glad there's finally a place in Midtown/Downtown where you can buy "2 for 25" work out shirts as opposed to every shirt being $85-225. A good step towards economic diversity.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:38 AM

4,649 posts, read 8,127,131 times
New wave of Detroit apartments opens to big demand

What to expect in rent for a new Detroit apartment

Quote:
Demand for market-rate housing in and around downtown Detroit has been outpacing supply for several years, encouraging developers to take a chance on the city's nascent revival and dive headlong into constructing new apartments.

Now a major wave of these residential projects — roughly 700 units from early in the year through this summer — are finally opening their doors. The outcome so far is surpassing many people's already high expectations: multiple new buildings are full or nearly 100% leased, even before tenants are allowed to move in.

The intense demand suggests that greater downtown Detroit's rental market could support additional waves of fresh building supply and remain hot. It is also giving landlords reason to continue raising rents, although the size of the year-to-year jumps could subside as more new apartments hit the market.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:27 PM

4,649 posts, read 8,127,131 times
This will be just one block north of the JLA along Fort Street.

WCCCD to invest $40 million in new buildings

Old 06-10-2016, 01:55 AM

Emagine theater possibly opening location in downtown Detroit?
This was quoted in this article I was reading Emagine movie theaters expanding to Saline, looking at Detroit, says founder | MLive.com
Quote:
He's looking at Detroit, too, he said, but it's a bit harder to place a theater within the downtown area.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:35 PM

30,327 posts, read 75,333,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Emagine theater possibly opening location in downtown Detroit?
This was quoted in this article I was reading Emagine movie theaters expanding to Saline, looking at Detroit, says founder | MLive.com
They can just take over the Ren Cen theater. They just need to figure out how to get people in there.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They can just take over the Ren Cen theater. They just need to figure out how to get people in there.
He says it's kind of difficult getting a downtown location but I don't see how it would be any harder than opening up a downtown Royal Oak or downtown Birmingham location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit