Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 05:33 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,549,982 times

Advertisements

Kresge Foundation covering all fares on QLINE through Labor Day

QLine will be free through to September.

Among other changes, it will behave more like a bus and not stop at empty stations. Trains will only drop off riders per request.

M1-Rail is working with MDOT to get priority signaling at select intersections along Woodward. The goal is to get wait times down to 12 minutes from the current 15+ minutes.

Anecdotally, there were over 100,000 riders during the first month of operation. Still about half of the People Mover's monthly average (200,000) but still not bad for the first month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Finally a new movie theater downtown.

Emagine aims to bring megaplex theater to downtown Detroit | Crain's Detroit Business

Quote:
Co-founder and Chairman Paul Glantz said the Troy-based company is evaluating two undisclosed sites, one that would be a new construction and one that would entail renovation of an existing building.

He estimates the investment will be in the range of $15 million and said he's more inclined to locate the new theater near residential development as opposed to commercial development.

"If you look at all the housing units that are being developed downtown and in Midtown, I think you're going to see an enormous amount of housing come online in next couple years," Glantz said.

And folks like to go to the movies near their neighborhood, he said.

The population base is a little light right now, but Glantz said Emagine believes it will be there in the not too distant future.

"As the population that would embrace Emagine grows, it would represent an underserved market opportunity for us," he said.
This would be only the 2nd of two megaplexes in the whole city of Detroit. The other being the Bel-Air on 8 Mile.

Also, in addition to a new Detroit Emagine, there will be another built in Oakland County and one built in Livingston County.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,846,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Finally a new movie theater downtown.

Emagine aims to bring megaplex theater to downtown Detroit | Crain's Detroit Business

This would be only the 2nd of two megaplexes in the whole city of Detroit. The other being the Bel-Air on 8 Mile.

Also, in addition to a new Detroit Emagine, there will be another built in Oakland County and one built in Livingston County.
Best news I've heard all week. I remember him saying last year that he wanted a Emagine theater downtown but it's going to be a little more tricky than the suburbs. But even if the downtown population is kind of small right now, it's right in the middle of an underserved market.

The Emagine theaters are my favorite movie theaters period. It's a luxury theater and it's a Detroit/ Michigan brand so I would much rather have that downtown then AMC or something. I hope they make it like the one in Royal Oak.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:02 AM

According to MLive, the Detroit Emagine will have 10 screens. Though it's not known yet if it'll be compact like the Palladium in Birmingham, which has 8 screens + some restaurants.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
Not sure where to put this, but just a reminder - fireworks tonight!

Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,198,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not sure where to put this, but just a reminder - fireworks tonight!
I have a perfect view of the fireworks from my condo terrace in DT Windsor. Have plans for friends to come over to enjoy the show with some good food and drinks. It's fun to get out and walk along the waterfront and do some people watching while everyone files into DT, before heading back to the peace and quite of the terrace. Last year the fireworks were spectacular, especially the finali, just amazing and so loud! They also had some very cool new ones throughout the show that were really neat. I have high hopes for tonight's show!

Old 06-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I have a perfect view of the fireworks from my condo terrace in DT Windsor. Have plans for friends to come over to enjoy the show with some good food and drinks. It's fun to get out and walk along the waterfront and do some people watching while everyone files into DT, before heading back to the peace and quite of the terrace. Last year the fireworks were spectacular, especially the finali, just amazing and so loud! They also had some very cool new ones throughout the show that were really neat. I have high hopes for tonight's show!
Great option for watching them. I quit staying for them becasue on the Detroit side, it is after midnight before you can get out of the city after the fireworks. That gets me home way too late for work the next day. If they were on a Friday or Saturday, I might stay. Now, I might bother to watch them every four or five years if we have guests or something. It is an amazing show, just not worth it on this side of the river. If I lived downtown or had not seen the show more than 10 times recently, it wold be worthwhile. However after a while the hassle outweighs the awesomeness.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,846,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Great option for watching them. I quit staying for them becasue on the Detroit side, it is after midnight before you can get out of the city after the fireworks. That gets me home way too late for work the next day. If they were on a Friday or Saturday, I might stay. Now, I might bother to watch them every four or five years if we have guests or something. It is an amazing show, just not worth it on this side of the river. If I lived downtown or had not seen the show more than 10 times recently, it wold be worthwhile. However after a while the hassle outweighs the awesomeness.
Why do they have it on a Monday anyway?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,198,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Why do they have it on a Monday anyway?
I'm not sure why, but it seems so odd to not have them on a weekend.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 AM

They try to schedule it in between Canada's patriotic holiday and ours. Seems like it has always been on a weekday, but I am not sure it is always on Monday. I am not certain how they pick the date. Maybe it is just always June 26, but then it would fall on a weekend once in a while. I cannot remember it ever being on a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit