Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM

970 posts, read 2,957,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is my favorite response.

Ann Arbor is also a City not a neighborhood. The same is true of Novi.

In fact there are hundreds of Cities in Michigan that are not neighborhoods in the City of Detroit.

What does this have to do with anything?

It is amusing. If we are being completely arbitrary, why not repsond "I like cheese!"
JS misread 'Alden Park' on the neighborhoods the OP listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
JS misread 'Alden Park' on the neighborhoods the OP listed.
Oh that spoils the fun.

Spoiler!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM

20,954 posts, read 19,401,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
Yeah, I think it just seems strange to me because every city I've ever lived in has been broken up into clearly defined neighborhoods, so it seems odd to find a place where that isn't the case.
Could you give some examples. It's been my (limited) experience that other cities are similar.

Quote:
This is the map I saw those numbers on: Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com. In the area bordered by McNichols, Gratiot, and Dresden (census tract 5037), the results were: 4% white, 74% black, 0% hispanic, 0% asian, and 22% other. I have heard of cases where people reply "other" to the race question, and then write in something like "American", so I don't know if that might be the case there.
This Census Tract 5037, Wayne County, Michigan - DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics:**2000 gives a little more breakdown, showing a 11.5% of "other Asian", so that may be part of the answer. I'm somewhat familiar with that area, and it seemed more like 95% black.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

321 posts, read 1,121,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Could you give some examples. It's been my (limited) experience that other cities are similar.
I've lived my whole life in the DC area, and in both DC (DC Neighborhoods) and Baltimore (Baltimore neighborhoods), the entire city consists of clearly defined neighborhoods, so I think I just figured that most cities were like that. It may just be an east coast thing though (I believe New York City is the same way).

What got me interested in Detroit neighborhoods in the first place is that I had started making a map of the neighborhoods there similar to the ones I linked to above. I finished mapping out all of the neighborhoods that I could find information about their boundaries, and realized that about 75% of the city was blank. At least I know now why that is.

Quote:
This Census Tract 5037, Wayne County, Michigan - DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics:**2000 gives a little more breakdown, showing a 11.5% of "other Asian", so that may be part of the answer. I'm somewhat familiar with that area, and it seemed more like 95% black.
Thanks, that does clear it up some. I know that the Detroit area has a fairly large Chaldean population, are they considered Asian by the Census?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:09 PM

You may be right about the neighborhoods. Maybe since I've never spent much time to get to know another city, or maybe because of preconceived notions being from Detroit, I never realized that neighborhoods were more clearly defined in other cities.

I believe Chaldeans (Iraqi Catholics), like other Arabs, are considered "white". Although they are also from Asia, so...?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:17 PM

"White” refers to people having origins in any of the original peoples
of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who
indicated their race or races as “White” or wrote in entries such as
Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.

"Asian” refers to people having origins in any of the original peoples of
the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent. It includes
people who indicated their race or races as “Asian Indian,” “Chinese,”
“Filipino,” “Korean,” “Japanese,” “Vietnamese,” or “Other Asian,” or wrote
in entries such as Burmese, Hmong, Pakistani, or Thai.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-1.pdf

Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,877,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
What got me interested in Detroit neighborhoods in the first place is that I had started making a map of the neighborhoods there similar to the ones I linked to above. I finished mapping out all of the neighborhoods that I could find information about their boundaries, and realized that about 75% of the city was blank. At least I know now why that is.
Much of Detroit proper (and some of its immediate surrounding areas) was slapped up in a hurry from about 1910-1950. Think Las Vegas 1987-2005. Areas developed too quickly to get a neighborhood identity, and in many cases, there is little difference in many areas. Also, a lot of people wanted to get the heck out of the neighborhood in Detroit after a generation or two, due to suburbanization, upward mobility, and racial integration. They didn't stay for generations like they did back east.

After the war, there was not a lot of land left for building within the city limits (although a lot of houses were built after the war in some areas even well into the 1960s, then almost nothing from 1968 to the mid-90s) so people ended up leaving the city limits, which for the most part in metro Detroit have even less neighborhood identity than the city, with the possible exception of the subdivision, if the subdivision has a sign with its name on it at the entrance. "I live in Forest Hills, Queens" becomes "I live in Hatherly Estates." The one exception is when there is a little bit of snobbishness. It's not "I live in Clinton Township," it's "I live in Rivergate."

Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks again to everyone who has replied, I've enjoyed reading it. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I recently got "Detroit Beginnings: Early Villages and Old Neighborhoods" which has a lot of information about the history of some of the areas that, at least at one point, were considered to be individual neighborhoods with defined boundaries. I decided to type out some of those boundaries to see if anyone can tell me anything else about these areas. I realize that some/most of the areas may not go by these names any more, or that the boundaries may have changed. But at least it will hopefully clarify which areas I was talking about.

ARDEN PARK/EAST BOSTON

north-arden park
east- oakland
south-east boston
west- woodward

AVIATION

north-joy
east- wyoming
south-tireman
west- schaefer

BELMONT

north-puritan
east- hubbell
south-fenkell
west- greenfield

BERRY

north-Jefferson
east- parkview
south-detroit river
west- fiske

BLACKSTONE PARK

north-8 mile
east- meyers
south-pembroke
west- schaefer

BRIGHTMOOR

north-puritan
east- evergreen
south-fullerton
west- telegraph

BRUSH PARK

north-mack
east- beaubien
south-fisher fwy
west- woodward

CONANT GARDENS

north-7 mile
east- ryan
south-nevada
west- conant

DELRAY

north-fort
east- clark
south-detroit river
west- rouge river

8 MILE - WYOMING

north-8 mile
east- santa barbara
south-pembroke
west- birwood

GRANDMONT

north-grand river
east- asbury park
south-schoolcraft
west- southfield

GRANDMONT #1

north-lyndon
east- southfield
south-schoolcraft
west- Grandville

GREENBRIAR

north-8 mile
east- schoenherr
south-state fair
west- hoover

GRIXDALE

north-7 mile
east- conant
south-nevada
west- dequindre

HUBBARD FARMS

north-vernor
east- w grand
south-lafayette
west- clark

INDIAN VILLAGE

north-mack
east- burns
south-jefferson
west- seminole

KRAINZ WOODS

north-7 mile
east- mound
south-nevada
west- ryan

LASALLE COLLEGE PARK

north-6 mile
east- dresden
south-christy
west- conner

MEXICANTTOWN

detroit river
w grand
bagley
14th st

MICHIGAN-MARTIN

north-michigan
east- livernois
south-john kronk
west- martin

NORTH ROSEDALE PARK

north-6 mile
east- southfield
south-grand river
west- evergreen

OAKWOOD HEIGHTS

north-rouge river
east- fort
south-schaefer
west- dix

OLD REDFORD

north-rogell golf course
east- lahser
south-grand river
west- berg

PARKLAND

north-parkland
east- parkland
south-warren
west- parkway

RAVENDALE

north-elmdale
east- dickerson
south-harper
west- conner

REGENT PARK

north-8 mile
east- kelly
south-state fair
west- schoenherr

ROSEDALE PARK

north-grand river
east- southfield
south-lyndon
west- evergreen

RUSSELL WOODS

north-davison
east- dexter
south-cortland
west- livernois

STATE FAIR

north-8 mile
east- john r
south-state fair
west- woodward

UNIVERSITY DISTRICT

north-7 mile
east- fairway
south-6 mile
west- livernois

VERNOR-SPRINGWELLS

north-dix
east- livernois
south-fort
west- woodmere

VON STEUBEN

north-7 mile
east- westphalia
south-6 mile
west- beland

WARRENDALE

north-joy
east- southfield
south-ford
west- w outer dr

WEST VILLAGE

north-kercheval
east- parker
south-jefferson
west- seyburn

WOODBRIDGE

north-ford fwy
east- trumbull
south-grand river
west- rosa parks

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Neighborhoods in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM

When I was trying to put together my map of the neighborhoods I got a lot of the information from there, especially about the historic districts.

Another thing I'm curious about that I would like to get as many opinions as possible (this one is more subjective and based on personal opinions).
I'm trying to get an idea about peoples' opinons on some of the more 'average' areas of the city, so for the purpose of this question, please don't include the more commonly discussed areas (downtown,midtown, boston-edison, etc).
  • If you could choose one place in the city to live (again, excluding the more 'prestigous' areas), assuming that money/taxes are not an issue, where would it be? it could be based on location, quality of life, quality/style of the housing, schools, shopping, and/or any other factor you choose.
  • Similarly, are there any parts of the city, that for whatever reason, you would flat out refuse to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit