U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,702,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
This is true. If you think of a city in terms of a body, then the downtown is the heart. When a city is in need of rebirth, it only makes sense to start with the downtown. A city with a vibrant, interesting, relatively safe downtown is a city that will attract attention and people will start realizing that the rest of it, bit by bit, is probably worth saving too. Detroit has made HUGE strides in its downtown even in the past few decades. I can't imagine who would have lived in downtown Detroit when I was a kid, and now it is filled with young professionals and gorgeous lofts that rival those in Chicago and New York. As a result of these developments, Midtown is experiencing somewhat of a renaissance as well. I commented here this past summer that I was amazed at the Woodward corridor beyond the Fox Theater and the ballpark, because those are blocks that I can remember driving past when I was a kid with my parents and it was all bars, wig shops, and pawn shops. Now I see Starbucks, other cafes and restaurants, new lofts and apartments, and life, lots of life! People out and about and not afraid. This was not even close to being the case a couple of decades ago.

Downtown is still a work in progress, and it's so exciting to see. It's beginning to rival the downtowns of other great cities again bit by bit. I don't blame people for wanting to be a part of it and getting excited about it. Start with downtown, get the people there first, let them discover how much they love it, and bit by bit the rest of the city may turn around too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 14 days ago)

13,388 posts, read 11,888,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
how does a city being "so black" create obstacles fot whites to move into the city. come on now be serious
If there weren't obstacles, don't you think that more white people would have moved into black neighborhoods?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
Think immigration is good for Detroit then?
I think immigration is essential. Immigration from foreign countries, immigration from other cities in America, and immigration of young people from throughout the metro area are essential to replenish the residents who move outward.

It's basically a matter of wealth. As people in the city gain wealth, they move out to newer/bigger/nicer homes. They are replaced by less wealthy people who immigrate into the city to take advantage of the cheaper/older/fixer-upper homes.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If there weren't obstacles, don't you think that more white people would have moved into black neighborhoods?
what are these so called obstacles???

Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 PM

In your idealized view of Detroit, none.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM

530 posts, read 1,361,278 times
How Much Stimulus Funding is Going to Your County?

Wayne $1,124,358,160
Oakland $821,535,426
Macomb $375,173,668

Michigan | ProPublica Recovery Tracker

Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
In your idealized view of Detroit, none.
no please be specific. Since people of the burbs often believe this crap. Let me guess you'll be harassed because you're white right? I mean, you're the one who said there were obstacles, tell me.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:15 PM

379 posts, read 929,041 times
Detroit is 'turning around' like the Aral Sea is getting re-filled.

There are some nice stories here and there, but it will never be close to what it was.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,022,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Arbor View Post
Detroit is 'turning around' like the Aral Sea is getting re-filled.

There are some nice stories here and there, but it will never be close to what it was.

I think that people who are familiar with Detroit have realistic expectations about how far it will bounce back. Similar to Pittsburgh (your location), Detroit does not need to reach the level it hit in 1950 to be a very livable, very enjoyable, high quality of life city. I'd argue that in some respects, Detroit is that city today. But at the same time, I would really hope that Detroit reemerges not as the city it was in 1950, but as a new city that is more progressive, more economically diverse, and more prideful. One of the biggest problems with reinventing Detroit is that people keep pretending like we need to "get back" to 1950. What Detroit really needs is to forget 1950, to work with what we have, to be excited about the future, to embrace our accomplishments, to work together, and to root for our collective success. When that city begins to shine through, then I will be positive that Detroit is back.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 PM

379 posts, read 929,041 times
I agree ^ and really hope it happens. I'm pulling for the D.

And for my Wolverines to take down the Spartans tonight- Go Blue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or