Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
um let's see a major reason Detroit is the way it is today is because of past events

secondly, last I checked MI is the only state as a whole that has been continuing to lose a lot of people, at its not just because of the recession. Many cities in the Metro area has declined like Warren, Roseville, Eastpointe, Southfield, Oak Park, many downriver, Redford, Hazel Park etc its not just the city and if anybody think that the rest will continue to be oh so great with the value of the homes going down which usually lead to lower class people moving in, you really need to open your eyes. Suburban people tend to have this little "we're so great and all of the city is terrible" attitude which will eventually blow up in you all face. So many of you actually want the city to fail without realizing that it will have a negative affect on the burbs as well
Who are these "lower class people" that you are refering to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
IS I usually find myself in disagreement with you, but this time you make a good point. Urban cores all over the nation are redeveloping because of the rising fuel cost. It is also true that the millenial generation enjoys city life and rejects much of suburbia. It is definately possible that parts of Detroit could be revived. Your correct that Detroit is a steal, and the old houses in Detroit were built of the best quality for thier day, many of them are arcitectural gems. IF Detroit can get its problems at least under some semblence of control the city will benefit from the things you talk about. The inner ring suburbs will also benefit. If people feel safe in Detroit they are more likely to invest there.
When people have no emotional investment in a proposition and simply look at things logically.....they find themselves in agreement with me because I am a very logical person. People do not usually agree with me when emotions cloud the reasoning. My basic theme is that actions produce reaction and that every effect has a cause that can be traced by going backwards, temporally, to connect the actions and reactions. When that travrersing logic takes people to a place that they are emotionally uncomfortable with........they disagree....but they usually can never demonstrate how and why I am wrong. If they can demonstrat.....then I can only grow to a better understanding from the enlightenment.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM

333 posts, read 1,153,902 times
Quote:
Many cities in the Metro area has declined like Warren, Roseville, Eastpointe, Southfield, Oak Park, many downriver, Redford, Hazel Park etc its not just the city
There are better examples than that.

The majority of Warren is actually pretty pleasant and suburban. Remember the fact that Warren is the third largest city in the state. There's just the south Warren area and the main roads. Once you get inside Warren neighborhoods they're normal.

Hazel Park has more foreclosures than it should, but otherwise it's basically Ferndale, which I didn't see anywhere in that list. Hazel Park has actually improved alot within the past two years. It was getting ghetto around 2005 but the recovery is incredibly fast.

Redford's got alot of hit and miss neighborhoods. There are some very clean and middle class neighborhoods and there are some neighborhoods that have gotten pretty shifty. The city as a whole isn't really declining, that's how it just is.

Think about how many worse places there are though - Pontiac, Mount Clemens, Center Line, Auburn Hills, RO Township, Madison Heights...

Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Who are these "lower class people" that you are refering to?
anytime you have property values go down, there is a chance of lower class people moving in. People who wouldn't be able to afford to live there when property values are up

Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Quote:
anytime you have property values go down, there is a chance of lower class people moving in. People who wouldn't be able to afford to live there when property values are up
I would prefer you referred to us as lower income people.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I would prefer you referred to us as lower income people.
I think by class, she meant people of a lower socio-economic class, not classless people.

Last edited by ForStarters; 02-01-2011 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: I misstated a material fact.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I think by class, he meant people of a lower socio-economic class, not classless people.
that is what I mean (she btw lol)

Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,561 times
Quote:
(she btw lol)
My apologies!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM

9 posts, read 21,781 times
Its normal for local residents to not see a city's potential for a whole host of reasons. And when a city is turning, there will be naysayers all along the way. Detroit has had a long and storied fall from the top. Very few cities have endured as much pain as Detroit has. That means your turnaround will not be easy. However, on 7 February, a two minute commercial put an entire nation on notice. Detroit ain't going quietly into the nite......its still here and its not giving up. Kudos, Detroit and good luck!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
um let's see a major reason Detroit is the way it is today is because of past events

secondly, last I checked MI is the only state as a whole that has been continuing to lose a lot of people, at its not just because of the recession. Many cities in the Metro area has declined like Warren, Roseville, Eastpointe, Southfield, Oak Park, many downriver, Redford, Hazel Park etc its not just the city and if anybody think that the rest will continue to be oh so great with the value of the homes going down which usually lead to lower class people moving in, you really need to open your eyes. Suburban people tend to have this little "we're so great and all of the city is terrible" attitude which will eventually blow up in you all face. So many of you actually want the city to fail without realizing that it will have a negative affect on the burbs as well

Where do you get facts?

According to the census reports, Michigan was the only state losing population, but not "a lot of people" THe decrease was very small.

I do not know about the other cities that you list, but your facts about downriver seem completely fallacious.

"Many downriver" communities are declining? Which ones would those be? Since we have been here (2005) we have seen mostly growth and improvement in Trenton, Wyandotte, Woodhaven, Southgate, Riverview. Even Taylor seems to have improved somewhat. Some business have closed, but more new ones have opened. Chrysler expanded their Trenton plant. People talk about how yucky many downriver cities used ot be when all the factories were operating, but that was 10 or even 20 years ago. Where is the decline? What are the "many" cities that you refer to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit