Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Relative to the suburbs, Detroit has very crappy grocery options. I don't see how this is debatable.

Eastern Market has very limited hours, is out in the elements, and far from places like Northwest Detroit. And it's hardly one-stop shopping. You can't get your toothpaste and garbage bags with your groceries.

I am Mexican American and Mexicantown does not have great grocery stores. They have a few places with good Mexican options, but the options for "regular" food are generally limited, poor and overpriced. Everyone likes to talk about Honeybee Market, but that place would be considered horrible if it were in the suburbs. Overpriced, cramped, and limited selection.

My brother lives at Somerset Apartments in Troy. Within one mile of his apartment (walking distance; there are sidewalks on all streets in his area), he has 2 huge, newer Krogers, Meijer, Target, WalMart, Holiday Market, Whole Foods, 2 Indian groceries, 1 Middle Eastern grocery, and 1 East Asian grocery.

And slightly farther afield, he has Papa Joes (best grocery store in Michigan, IMO), Trader Joes, Westborn Market, Nino Salvaggios, and a ton of ethnic markets.

Now, in Detroit, yes, there are some supermarkets, but they're usually the ghetto Spartan Stores, with the nasty meat/produce, the security gates for the carts, the high prices, etc.
Lmao there are grocery stores in the burbs that aren't worth a damn smh and nice grocery stores in the city. Do you even shop at stores in Detroit to know what they are like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,141 times
There's all kinds of grocery stores in Detroit. Sure, they may be few and far between for a city the size of Detroit, but they're out there.

Thrifty Scot on Harper
Aldi on Woodward in Highland Park
Imperial Supermarket on 8 Mile
Manistique Market on Manistique
Parkway Foods and Food Express, both on Jefferson.

Those are just the markets that I've been to in the past 2 months. There's hardly a grocery store shortage here.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Ohio248

I find it funny that you down the grocery stores in SW, esp Honeybee, and say if they were in the burbs people will complain about it but the way I originally heard about Honeybee and some others in SW is through suburbanites boasting about them on the internet

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,902,960 times
There's also a Super K Mart on Telegraph south of 8, two Aldis in Detroit and one in Highland Park, and yes, some of the Spartan-supplied independents have expired food issues, but I've seen that in the suburbs as well. Food desert my foot. Some areas, sure, but the city as a whole, not so much.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Ohio248

I find it funny that you down the grocery stores in SW, esp Honeybee, and say if they were in the burbs people will complain about it but the way I originally heard about Honeybee and some others in SW is through suburbanites boasting about them on the internet
Well maybe these suburbanites live in River Rouge or Highland Park or some ghetto burb with poor grocery options.

Or maybe they're impressed by the Mexican selections, because that isn't normal in a suburban grocery.

Honeybee is a million times worse than a Kroger or Meijer. High prices, very small and cramped, and limited selection. It's only popular because there's no other "normal" supermarkets anywhere in the area.

Compare some basic product at Meijer and then at Honeybee. I remember Lean Cuisine was like $3 at Honeybee and $1.70 at Meijer, juice was $3.50 at Honeybee at $2.00 at Meijer, etc. etc.

It isn't even particularly good for Mexican groceries. There are two places further down Vernor that have great Mexican selections (but they have no American products, and no one speaks English, so only good for Mexican).

Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Randazzos is a neat amrket, but I think that it is in Redford Township not Detroit. Maybe this is another one, but the one that I am thiking of is eaither on or very near outer drive.

Most of the others appear to be Mexican Villiage stores. People generally say that Mexican Villiage or Eastern Market are the only places to get groceries in Detroit.

Piquettes may be the newish place that I can walk to. I went there once with someone but I could not remember where it was. However there is a market within a long walk of the Ren Cen (at least there was a while ago).

Funny that one is a Gigante. I see those all over Mexico, but I was not aware that tehy are in the US (I think this is a chain name, but maybe it is just Spanish for grocery store)
Joe Randazzo's Fruit and Vegetables - Serving the metro Detroit area since 1953!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Well maybe these suburbanites live in River Rouge or Highland Park or some ghetto burb with poor grocery options.

Or maybe they're impressed by the Mexican selections, because that isn't normal in a suburban grocery.

Honeybee is a million times worse than a Kroger or Meijer. High prices, very small and cramped, and limited selection. It's only popular because there's no other "normal" supermarkets anywhere in the area.

Compare some basic product at Meijer and then at Honeybee. I remember Lean Cuisine was like $3 at Honeybee and $1.70 at Meijer, juice was $3.50 at Honeybee at $2.00 at Meijer, etc. etc.

It isn't even particularly good for Mexican groceries. There are two places further down Vernor that have great Mexican selections (but they have no American products, and no one speaks English, so only good for Mexican).
um not even. I'm not going to even read all of this. I will say, unlike you, I shop in both the burbs and the city. Eastern Market, Indian Village and the grocery down the street, and a couple of others named on here like Aldi, Randazzo and some of the farmers markets during the summer all have better selection than Meijer on 14 (that I used to love but has fallen WAY off), Walmart on 14 and Van Dyke, the Walmart in Roseville (thank god they closed that awful place), Kmart on Gratiot etc. The cramped Kroger in GP is not all that great either. Some days good but I've been in there when the produce doesn't look to great, stuff sprawled everywhere, rude ass customers etc. I now only go to the one in Harperwoods, which is nice but in no way is it way better than any of the ones I named in the city.

so like I said if Honeybee is so bad compared to suburban stores please tell the suburbanites who stay driving to Detroit and bypassing all of the chain stores to shop there. While you're at it, tell the EM saturday shoppers this too smh

Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:

so like I said if Honeybee is so bad compared to suburban stores please tell the suburbanites who stay driving to Detroit and bypassing all of the chain stores to shop there. While you're at it, tell the EM saturday shoppers this too smh
LOL! There's no way suburbanites are trekking 20 miles to shop at Honeybee.

The only way they're doing this is if they're looking for Mexican stuff, but even then, they're idiots, because the supermarkets on Vernor are much better.

If you personally feel the local ghetto Spartan Stores is better than Whole Foods + Papa Joes + Trader Joes + Nino Salvaggios + Westborn + Hollywood + Kroger + Meijer, then be my guest! Obviously most Detroiters disagree, because they shop in huge numbers in the suburbs!

Go to any Grosse Pointe, Dearborn, Ferndale, Warren, Livonia or Southfield Kroger, and I bet you half the store is from Detroit. Why is that? Why aren't they shopping at their friendly local ghettomart?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
LOL! There's no way suburbanites are trekking 20 miles to shop at Honeybee.

The only way they're doing this is if they're looking for Mexican stuff, but even then, they're idiots, because the supermarkets on Vernor are much better.

If you personally feel the local ghetto Spartan Stores is better than Whole Foods + Papa Joes + Trader Joes + Nino Salvaggios + Westborn + Hollywood + Kroger + Meijer, then be my guest! Obviously most Detroiters disagree, because they shop in huge numbers in the suburbs!

Go to any Grosse Pointe, Dearborn, Ferndale, Warren, Livonia or Southfield Kroger, and I bet you half the store is from Detroit. Why is that? Why aren't they shopping at their friendly local ghettomart?
Its funny how you refer to anything that has to do with Detroit as ghetto.

Plenty of people in the city shop at grocery stores in the city, or else they wouldn't be open. You obviously don't know any Detroit people. How the hell do you know if they are from Detroit or not? you don't, unless you asked every last person. Like I said I learned about Honeybee from the suburbanites who brag about it, so obviously they are

Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Plenty of people in the city shop at grocery stores in the city, or else they wouldn't be open.
If so many folks are buying groceries IN Detroit, then why isn't there even ONE Kroger? 900,000 people and no Kroger?

In Oakland County, the equivalent population will have 20+ Krogers. I can think of like 10 within a few miles of my parents' house.

Why are there no Meijers in Detroit? Not ONE? No WalMart, no Target? The only KMart is right on the border with the burbs.

No Whole Foods, no Hollywood, no Westborn, no Papa Joes, no Trader Joes. No ethnic groceries outside of Mexicantown. Nothing.

Again, why are all these companies so stupid? Don't they know that they should all be opening stores in Detroit? They should open a Papa Joe's in Dexter-Davison! It'll be a goldmine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit