U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 AM

15,819 posts, read 31,771,034 times

Advertisements

Anyone else have this problem? I thought it was bizzarre. I bought emergency kits for each of our cars, including some trail mis, granola and gatoraide in case someone ges stuck somewhere and mice at all of the food. The little cretins made a nest in my glove box by chewing up my registration and insurance papers.

Now we are setting traps in our cars. I have never had or hear of this problem before, but we seem to have them in three of our four cars.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 AM

3,038 posts, read 3,647,384 times
We used to have a 1958 Cadillac that we stored in our pole barn and when we got it out to sell it we found evidence that mice had lived in it, probably for warmth in the cold winter months because there was no food in the car. They had chewed the filling from the upholstered seats and some of the carpet. Destructive little critters, aren't they? I wonder how they got into your cars. My guess is that they came up under the front end and found entry somewhere under the dashboard.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,972,685 times
I had '71 AMX that I only drove during the warmer months. In the winter, mice would get into the firewall and insulation. Many times they build a nest outside the car but store food inside the vehicle. Other times they will actually nest in the car itself. For this reason, you don't necessarily want to lay poison pellets because you don't want them dying in the car as they will stink. Best thing to do is lay a mouse trap in a paper bag on the floor of the front passenger seat. Obviously, if you get them in a trap, you know they're out of the car. The bag is to prevent any nastiness from spraying on the upholstery (gross, I know). You can also lay a trap underneath the car, but then you might be drawing mice from elsewhere in the garage, and not necessarily the ones that have invaded your vehicle.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM

2,797 posts, read 4,655,190 times
Wow. That sucks. I've heard of bees setting up shop in people's side mirrors but I've never heard of mice eating people's cars. Maybe you need to get a car cat.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,776,501 times
A friend of mine had this happen to him with a Cherokee and possibly one or both of the 924s he had at the time. I don't think he ever got rid of them out of the Jeep. On the Automotive forum the other day there was a post about vermin eating wiring or hoses, don't remember which, go check it out.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 AM

649 posts, read 1,413,094 times
Let us know how you get rid of them.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 AM

15,819 posts, read 31,771,034 times
I tried traps, but no luck so far. MAybe they are too well fed on our emergency supplies. Perhaps I should fumigate.

I can understand finding some food because they can eat tiny things that get dropped and you cannot even see. The probably have our emergency supplies stashed away somewhere as well. They cannot possibly have eaten as much as they took. However where do they get water?

This is frustrating. When we get mice in teh house a fer traps with peanut butter and voila! No more mice. However it is not working in the cars.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM

2,797 posts, read 4,655,190 times
Perhaps they get their water by licking condensation off the windows. They might not need as much water as people, either. What has to be bothersome is the thought of their peeing and pooping in your car. Maybe you should try poisoned mouse bait.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 AM

462 posts, read 541,525 times
Yep, my parents had that problem. They had a car that they didn't use frequently and live out in farm country. Mice chewed through the wiring so it would not run and made themselves mighty comfortable.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 AM

2,790 posts, read 4,041,092 times
CJ, maybe you could train them to listen to rap music and drive around in the car like the hamsters in that car commercial. After all, there's no reason they can't earn some of the bread they're eating! LOL Should I be ducking right about now? Grosse Ile's close, but I'm not sure you can throw that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit