Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 PM

44 posts, read 126,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Every citizen has a vested interest in the property of their city. In this respect, all property within the limits is "theirs." With this in mind, every person who participated in the riot and is a citizen destroyed their own property.
Thank you "and the." My point is; nothing was accomplished by the riots. A few people let off some steam, but in the long run, it's been bad for the unity of the city, the morale, and the city's reputation in general. All of my relatives moved out. Some fled to Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, Romeo, and the last "die hards" moved out to Port Huron about 5 years ago. It's just sad all the way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemice View Post
Thank you "and the." My point is; nothing was accomplished by the riots. A few people let off some steam, but in the long run, it's been bad for the unity of the city, the morale, and the city's reputation in general. All of my relatives moved out. Some fled to Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, Romeo, and the last "die hards" moved out to Port Huron about 5 years ago. It's just sad all the way around.
Other cities had riots too. What made Detroit particularly bad was a combination of scary politics and an economy thatrelied mainly on the car, and those jobs went out of the window. The riots may have sped things up, but there were other factors too.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:53 PM

92,144 posts, read 122,355,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Other cities had riots too. What made Detroit particularly bad was a combination of scary politics and an economy thatrelied mainly on the car, and those jobs went out of the window. The riots may have sped things up, but there were other factors too.
Also, the strong segregationist climate, along with two previous riots and the Ossian Sweet incident, might have played a part as well.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:31 PM

11 posts, read 55,303 times
My father was a Detroit cop during that time period...so were both of his brothers. What I remember as a 9 year old, was my father teaching my mother how to shoot a gun, so that while he was off working 24 hour shifts, she could protect my brother and I from anyone who knew we were a cop's family. Back then, the "Black Panthers" supposedly had a "list" of cops and where they lived....there were threats against cop's families and my dad was not happy to leave us unattended. He worked plenty of overtime during that time period, and I was old enough to know what was going on and to be frightened of losing my dad. He in fact, was shot at while sitting in his police car with his partner...luckily the bullet passed between them, entering the back window. We did however, buy a brand new 1968 Chrysler Newport the next year with that overtime money.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill.faraday View Post
My father was a Detroit cop during that time period...so were both of his brothers. What I remember as a 9 year old, was my father teaching my mother how to shoot a gun, so that while he was off working 24 hour shifts, she could protect my brother and I from anyone who knew we were a cop's family. Back then, the "Black Panthers" supposedly had a "list" of cops and where they lived....there were threats against cop's families and my dad was not happy to leave us unattended. He worked plenty of overtime during that time period, and I was old enough to know what was going on and to be frightened of losing my dad. He in fact, was shot at while sitting in his police car with his partner...luckily the bullet passed between them, entering the back window. We did however, buy a brand new 1968 Chrysler Newport the next year with that overtime money.
Did the Black Panthers have a "list" of cops?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,494,579 times
Did the cops have a list of Black Panthers? Actually I don't care. I'm more concerned as to whether there are lingering effects of these riots that affect race relations today.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 29,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill.faraday View Post

My father had also been a Detroit cop (motorcycle), but not during that time period, as he had been put on permanent disability several years before then, due to an injury. I don't know about any "lists", but growing up as a cop's kid, I knew that our phone number was unlisted and we weren't allowed to give it out to our friends. I don't ever remember going to or having any sleep-over's with friends, either.

Mom had us four kids to look after while Dad was on duty, and I have to say that she did a really good job of keeping the home front going without showing any signs of worry. If she was ever scared or felt threatened, we never knew of it.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM

70 posts, read 293,029 times
I am so, so so.... sick of these threads. What is with you people?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM

70 posts, read 293,029 times
I only come here every couple months and everytime I do. There is some thread about the riots on the front page. It is so old and tired.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM

62 posts, read 173,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientCoins View Post
I am so, so so.... sick of these threads. What is with you people?
I agree I can't believe the title, are you serious people come on now? Maybe it should be made a holiday every time a riot is bought up it's always the Detroit riot. Detroit is not the only city to have had riots in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit