Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:42 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
So non-laughing families are leaving Detroit becasue decpitated bodies are raining Down all over the city? Yes. That is exactly what I meant.

Intersting. Where do you get your information? From non-laughing families [who] are leaving Detroit becasue decpitated bodies are raining Down all over the city.

Who was that poster who wsa pushing for and writing about the whole legal marijuana thing? I cannot remember which one it was. I don't know. My memory is fried from a lack of marijuana use.

Does anyone with real facts know whether Detroit has lost or gained population in the past two years? It certainly appears that Downtown Detroit has gained population in the past two years. There are certainly more people around who are obviously not business people who are just here for work. Is downtown actually growing in population? Has the City as a whole stopped shrinking in population?
Downtown may indeed have gained population, but how much of Detroit is downtown a part of? The Census results should be out soon. I don't think its too daring of me to predict that the population of Detroit has dropped dramatically in the past 10 years. During the past 2 years, many Detroiters have left the city due to the great housing deals in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Could you explain this statement? How was pro-business faction forced to the suburbs? Who are these people that forced them out?
Sure. As I've stated, Hiroshima (and the rest of Japan) has a very homogeneous population. There is not the "us vs. them", "have vs. have not", "privilege vs. oppressed" mentality there as exists here. They work together toward common goals.

Detroit is very divided along political, racial and wealth lines. Many (please note I didn't say "all" or "most") people in the city believe that since businesses are owned by wealthy, white suburbanites, they are therefore not welcomed in the poor, black, city. Therefore they proceed to vandalize, shoplift, burglarize and in various other ways torment businesspeople in the city (whetherr those businesspeople are black or white, rich or poor, suburbanite or city dweller). This is not something that Japanese businesspeople have to deal with.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Sure. As I've stated, Hiroshima (and the rest of Japan) has a very homogeneous population. There is not the "us vs. them", "have vs. have not", "privilege vs. oppressed" mentality there as exists here. They work together toward common goals.

Detroit is very divided along political, racial and wealth lines. Many (please note I didn't say "all" or "most") people in the city believe that since businesses are owned by wealthy, white suburbanites, they are therefore not welcomed in the poor, black, city. Therefore they proceed to vandalize, shoplift, burglarize and in various other ways torment businesspeople in the city (whetherr those businesspeople are black or white, rich or poor, suburbanite or city dweller). This is not something that Japanese businesspeople have to deal with.
So, basically.....

"The MAN has brought us down!"

"Let's burn our neighborhood."

Niiiice.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
So, basically.....

"The MAN has brought us down!"

"Let's burn our neighborhood."

Niiiice.

Don't roll your eyes. He's just like you. He's an out of towner. He loves to crap on Detroit no matter what the thread is about.

BTW I keep looking for the decapitated bodies that are supposedly raining down all over the city. Haven't seen one yet. Or it could just be the entire city isn't the cesspool some people love to claim it is. And just so you know I don't live in the "good" areas that are mentioned either.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 PM

^ I bet I live closer to some parts of Detroit than you do.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Don't roll your eyes. He's just like you. He's an out of towner. He loves to crap on Detroit no matter what the thread is about.

BTW I keep looking for the decapitated bodies that are supposedly raining down all over the city. Haven't seen one yet. Or it could just be the entire city isn't the cesspool some people love to claim it is. And just so you know I don't live in the "good" areas that are mentioned either.

No you silly. I explained that to you. THe cannibals clean them all up.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
*If you listen to Beck, Limbaugh, Fox, you can see these are the voices of plutocracy, trying to convince the lower classes to embrace it. ABC, NBC, CBS and the so-called "mainstream liberal media" are their support staff.
*In the past I have walked the streets of Detroit at night not realizing there were ghouls out and about. More plausible is the idea that some sort of giant vulture is cleaning up the dead bodies - that's what they do!

Last edited by detwahDJ; 03-05-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Downtown may indeed have gained population, but how much of Detroit is downtown a part of? The Census results should be out soon. I don't think its too daring of me to predict that the population of Detroit has dropped dramatically in the past 10 years. During the past 2 years, many Detroiters have left the city due to the great housing deals in the suburbs.
I know I've said the same thing before in another thread:

But whether anyone likes it or not, a citys image all starts with downtown.

How do you think Chicago has gotten away with its dazzling image, because the reign of both Daleys had some grand Chicago master plan from 1955-1975 (the critical years (Daley 1st) when Chicago and Detroit started going down different paths), and from 1989 to now.

This involved many aspects, but one very interesting one, is the extent of huge public housing projects that were built during this time. Detroit built a few, but NOTHING like Chicago. This was not without purpose, in both cities, many white working class weren't really keen on seeing their neighborhoods becoming more mixed, by Daley I buliding the projects. the hcity essentially slowed down black homeownership in Chicago, so white neighborhoods didn't scare ALL white neighborhoods from selling their homes quickly and fleeing.

Plus the economic diversity allowed less boom and bust, which meant that after 1970, there were some aspects of manufacturing that were still strong and kept attracting new working class immigrants (mostly Mexicans)(telecommunication/electronic equipment was still strong, while meatpacking was gone, and steel was on its way out)

And even though Chicago supposedly lost 200,000 people (2.9 to 2.7 million from 3.6 million in 1950) people are shocked, and try to spin it as if its a good thing, but even still the problems of crime, unemployment, schools, continue to drive people from once stable middle class neighborhoods that are too far from "the action" to attract yuppies.

Even though 1/2 of Chicago looks like s***, it doesn't matter to most

Sorry, for the tangent: I know it seems unrelated. But I just think that Chicago and Detroit were so similar up until the eve of 1967 riots, that the difference between the cities are very important to compare.

Like it or not, a fun, clean downtown is what visitors, tourists, and suburbanites value. So if you essentiall have a completely blightless corridor up Woodward all the way to say New Center that is going to put a positive image in minds of tourists and suburbanites, even if other areas of the city are falling apart.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM

385 posts, read 721,668 times
I honestly didnt see him "offending" Detroit, he just said, if Hiroshima built back up in such a short time, why hasnt Detroit done the same? And can you blame him for calling the government corrupts? Mayors get caught red handed, school district chairmen are sex offenders, I mean really? Its a great city where you find the pockets, but the political and media control is no longer East and Mid-America, the West is where its at and the question is, can you bring people back, will people want to come back to industrial America?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
And I really dislike Beck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit