Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 AM

385 posts, read 721,808 times

Advertisements

Okay guys. so I know I posted awhile back about buying a home... Well a few things went through. I was actually looking for a home on land contract so I wouldnt have to stretch my credit and I prolly wouldnt qualify because I just bought a two story commericial building to make a swamp meet kinda thing in it and rent out stalls. Anyways, I was close to buying a home in Woodbridge but it fell through because of the seller's realtor being an ass who never called me back, even though I had money in hand for it ( its like she just fell off the Earth, I'm honestly second guessing bad mouthing her cause she might be dead and here I am talking bad about her). Anywho, I saw home that was bought back a few years ago in Indian Village and the owner just redid the eletrical and plumbing, and sold it to me for under 100k. Of course a new finishing on the wood floors and paint on walls need to be done but I'm all for a Do it yourself network kinda thing in my home . So I bought a home in which I think is the best place WITHIN Detroit city, (dont say grosse pointe cause thats not Detroit) maybe Palmer Woods is on the same level or better, and I am very happy I could achieve all this from starting with nothing and moving to Detroit about 6-7 months ago. Detroit, really is the place to be during the recession if you have a dream and a will to achieve it . The home paperwork closes on Wensday of next week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
Congrats! And, welcome to the neighborhood. You're officially a Detroiter!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Congrats.

For refinishing your floors
Martin floors or flooring or floorcovering I forget which. Very knowlegable quick and as far as I can tell, honest.

I am a big time DIY type, but refinishing floors will destroy your back, especially running the edger. It is worth paying for it to avoid laying in bed for a week in pain.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Congrats.

For refinishing your floors
Martin floors or flooring or floorcovering I forget which. Very knowlegable quick and as far as I can tell, honest.

I am a big time DIY type, but refinishing floors will destroy your back, especially running the edger. It is worth paying for it to avoid laying in bed for a week in pain.
I was thinking of sanding it with the push sander I can rent at home depot. I wouldn mind bending down to coat it, I'm 25, I still got a few years on my back

Old 03-15-2011, 03:16 PM

20 posts, read 60,538 times
fantasmeriffic!!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
THe big floor sander is the easy part. The tough part is the little one that you use to to the edges and corners. You bne dover that thing for hours pushing it around. It is painful.

If you do it yourself get some books and look up info on the internet. It is not just a look at it and go type of chore. If you oversand it, you will ruin your floor.

You also need ot determine what look you want. Do you want new looking floors? Sand a lot and then pre treat before staining. Do you want old house looking floors? Consider just screening it and then coating it as is. Or sand very lightly so that you do not sand through the patina of age. Are you going to fill dings and cracks or leave them? Personally I think that wood filler looks worse than a crack of ding, but that is opinion.

Screening is very easy. You use a screen instead of sandpaper. Usually only one grit. You are basically removing the old finsih or in places just scuffing it up to bond withthe new topcoat and then re-coating it.

For your coating you may want to consider water based polyeurethane. It dries really fast, it does nto smell bad at all. Almost no odor, and what smell there is is pleasant. Some kinds of it dry in a few minutes and allow the next coat in two hours (instead of several days for some coatings). The nice thing is that you can put a coat on in a few minutes in the morning, come home in the evening and do another. On saturday, you can put on three or four coats and do other things in betweeen. You do need a lot of coats of the waterbased poly. They reccomend at least three, I used six ont he edges and as many as 15 coats in the traffic areas (I did nto want to have to do it again). You need to sand lightly between coats. I just places buffing pads on each side of the room and shuffled them around as I walked accross the room.

OIl base is stronger, and you only need two or three coats at the most. However it is stinky and takes days to fully cure. I am not sure if there is any satin oild base. I think it may all be glossy.

Then there are the two part mixtures. They are the strongest and the hardest to apply. You mix the two parts togetehr and you have about an hour to get it down before it hardens up. after that time, you have to mix up a new batch. That stuff is super strong. It is often used on gymnasium floors.

Have fun.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Welcome to Detroit! You actually moved into my favorite neighborhood. Hope you enjoy it

Old 03-18-2011, 10:55 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,708 times
Congrats!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM

thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: