Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,056,607 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

A few weeks ago, I posted a thread asking for suggestions on things to see and do:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/detro...ns-advice.html

Well, I just got back home and had a great time. I was actually coming from Cincinnati on Saturday, as I was doing a bit of sight-seeing there too.

On Saturday, I took the tour of the Motown museum. The guide was great. They really did a great job with that! To actually see the basement recording studio. For fun, all of us sang "My Girl" in the hallowed ground ot the studio. It was a huge feat for Berry Gordy to do what he did. You really get a full appreciation of the monumental undertaking in the 60s. And how much influence Motown still has on new artists (Especially British female vocalists: Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone, Duffy, Adele)

I stayed in Royal Oak. And hung out in downtown Royal Oak that night. While I don't want to minimize the hardships of those who lost their jobs or homes, hanging out in downtown Royal Oak, you wouldn't even know about that. It was so vibrant and busy! I ate at a middle eastern place, and then did a bit of dancing with some cute young ladies at one of the clubs there.

Sunday I spent basically the whole day in Midtown. Spent almost 3 hours in the DIA. What I love about the DIA, is not only the sheer size and quality of exhibits but it really anchors a real Arts community of the surrounding neighborhood. The artists lofts, small galleries, the MOCAD (which I also visited), and the college for creative studies. Its pretty amazing really. I also checked out the historical museum as it was free that day (although put a donation in the box).

I went for happy hour at the Centaur. Nice classy place, although I really hope that next time I'm out there, some of the area north of the area of the Cass Corridor gets some new development That area west of Woodward between Mack and the freeway is pretty depressing looking. But I believe that the mayor is going to focus development in that area. Afterwards I went toa little fundraising event at the bowling alley that part of the Majestic theater area.

This morning: I went for a jog in a couple parks to get some real exercise. One in Southfield and also Palmer Park. Palmer Park is really nice. Yes, I jogged through a wooded area in a park in the city of Detroit, and nothing happened to me. (Although you need to be always aware of your surroundings no doubt, Palmer Park is one of the nicest neighborhoods) The University District Palmer Park area reminds me very much of where I live (Oak Park/River Forest) west of Chicago. Before I left to go back home, I went out to Bell Isle and took some photos of the skylines from the fountain. Visibility wasn't too good as it just rained.

Anyways, your city is great. Never give up on it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 PM

351 posts, read 794,906 times
glad you had fun I was just down there for a Pogues show at the Royal Oak Music Theater. Yes Royal Oak is trendy and full of hipsters and does not really show hard times. I lived there back in the late 80's when it wasn't as cool as it is now. But I was glad that it was doing fine along with Ann Arbor. I have hope for Detroit.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,378,378 times
Aww thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 PM

655 posts, read 2,196,623 times
I'm glad you had fun. More people should come and find out it's not as bad they say here.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,480,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I went for happy hour at the Centaur. Nice classy place, although I really hope that next time I'm out there, some of the area north of the area of the Cass Corridor gets some new development That area west of Woodward between Mack and the freeway is pretty depressing looking. But I believe that the mayor is going to focus development in that area.
Glad you had a good time, Tex. The area you are referring to is actually owned primarily by Mike Ilitch, who owns the Tigers and Red Wings. It is that area in which Ilitch is expected to build a new arena for the Wings- he's been buying up lots in that area for years. There has also been talk of Taubman building an outdoor shopping center there, but at this point, those plans are nothing but speculation. Last week, Crain's reported that an idea has been floated to cap the I-75 expressway in that area in order to allow for a greenspace and walkway to connect downtown and Midtown, as has been done in other cities:

Scuttlebutt: Ilitches float idea of putting 'roof' over I-75 near possible hockey area site - Crain's Detroit Business - Detroit News and Information#

Old 03-22-2011, 02:06 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,056,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Glad you had a good time, Tex. The area you are referring to is actually owned primarily by Mike Ilitch, who owns the Tigers and Red Wings. It is that area in which Ilitch is expected to build a new arena for the Wings- he's been buying up lots in that area for years. There has also been talk of Taubman building an outdoor shopping center there, but at this point, those plans are nothing but speculation. Last week, Crain's reported that an idea has been floated to cap the I-75 expressway in that area in order to allow for a greenspace and walkway to connect downtown and Midtown, as has been done in other cities:

Scuttlebutt: Ilitches float idea of putting 'roof' over I-75 near possible hockey area site - Crain's Detroit Business - Detroit News and Information#
Thats interesting. While I was there, I bought a book called: "reimagining Detroit". It talks about some of the things you mentioned. Making the core area more pedestrian/bicycle friendly. Certainly Woodward is needlessly wide today, and retrofitting it for the streetcar/light rail is indeed possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit