Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 AM

291 posts, read 452,295 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring soon on a rather low fixed income and am looking for places (preferrably large cities) where my limited rent money will go the furthest. Does anyone have any hard data on how the exodus from Detroit over the past decade has affected the availability of discounted rental apartments or where such information can be found? I can't find a subforum that directly addresses this topic under "Detroit" and the "Retirement" forum is too general. Any serious nonabusive replies would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Rent can be fairly high compared to what it costs to actually buy a comparable property, unless you're willing to accept a dump. The rental market is pretty strong. The Michigan winter might be a bit hard for older bodies to take as well. I'm only 32 and already feeling it.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 PM

655 posts, read 2,203,017 times
You should provide more info. #1 $$

Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
I have heard that with so many folks losing their homes and wanting to stay in the area rent is staying high. Our daughter's rent in a metro suburb is $300 a month higher than ours.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 PM

291 posts, read 452,295 times
Unhappy Just what I feared

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Rent can be fairly high compared to what it costs to actually buy a comparable property ... The rental market is pretty strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I have heard that with so many folks losing their homes and wanting to stay in the area rent is staying high.
Thanks for the info, folks. The theory that shrinking population translates into affordable vacancies just doesn't hold up when you factor in the foreclosure crisis, does it? Well, there's always Nicargua ...

Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times
Compared to other cities, rent in Detroit is cheap. Property in nice historic neighborhoods is also cheap compared to what you'd pay for similar properties in a city like Chicago. There are many retirees who live in/around downtown Detroit, in fact, I have many retirees living in my building. I really don't know what people are talking about by suggesting that rents in Detroit are high. There are even plans for two new senior centers, one located on the E. Riverfront near Belle Isle Park, and the other one between Corktown and Mexican Village. If you are considering a co-op, you can buy into a luxury highrise in Lafayette Park (next to downtown) for less than 5k. The best parts of Detroit are cheap right now, but I wouldn't expect it to stay like for long, especially in areas in and around downtown and Midtown.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 PM

63 posts, read 105,148 times
DETROIT has retired (or died)!!!!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Compared to other cities, rent in Detroit is cheap. Property in nice historic neighborhoods is also cheap compared to what you'd pay for similar properties in a city like Chicago. There are many retirees who live in/around downtown Detroit, in fact, I have many retirees living in my building. I really don't know what people are talking about by suggesting that rents in Detroit are high. There are even plans for two new senior centers, one located on the E. Riverfront near Belle Isle Park, and the other one between Corktown and Mexican Village. If you are considering a co-op, you can buy into a luxury highrise in Lafayette Park (next to downtown) for less than 5k. The best parts of Detroit are cheap right now, but I wouldn't expect it to stay like for long, especially in areas in and around downtown and Midtown.
I was saying rents in the metro are ridiculously high compared to purchase prices. There are plenty of cheap and cheap-ish rents in Detroit and some of these places are definitely nicer than others. The OP also did not mention a preference for city or suburb, so I assumed suburb.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I was saying rents in the metro are ridiculously high compared to purchase prices. There are plenty of cheap and cheap-ish rents in Detroit and some of these places are definitely nicer than others. The OP also did not mention a preference for city or suburb, so I assumed suburb.
Oh, sorry us66, I read your post as a general statement about rents, and ironically, because of my city-centric mindset assumed he was asking about the city. And, now that I understand your post, I agree with you about the cost of housing versus the cost of renting. It's definitely a buyer's market- in both the city and the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: