Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:13 PM

232 posts, read 946,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
When I was a child Detoilet was the 4th largest city in the country. Now it's like 12th. I'm looking into Charlotte N.C. This place is dead.

how can a city size in land mass decline? you mean the population,

what does the size of the city which means large city, medium, small city has to do with the people who live in it?

if the people leave, the size of the city does not shrink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 03:21 PM

34 posts, read 165,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimor View Post
how can a city size in land mass decline? you mean the population,

what does the size of the city which means large city, medium, small city has to do with the people who live in it?

if the people leave, the size of the city does not shrink
you are taking his comment way to literally. he's talking about how the population was 1.4 million and is now half that size. This fact tells you a lot about Detroit. People moving out means the people don't like it.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 PM

245 posts, read 878,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome1970 View Post
35, M. Moving to either Raleigh area or Charlotte in NC. Just finishing my nursing course next year, then off we go.
we are going to Charlotte June 08 -let's talk!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 PM

24 posts, read 124,334 times
Franklin, Tennessee in about two years where I can build a $250,000 for about $173,000. Where said house will run me about $1110 per year in property taxes and about $430 per year to insure. A place where I can insure my Porsche, my Audi AND my Mazda for about $1700 per year. A place where I won't have to deal with Jennie or Kwaame. The list could go on and on...

Old 09-26-2007, 08:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,442,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera4S View Post
Franklin, Tennessee in about two years where I can build a $250,000 for about $173,000. Where said house will run me about $1110 per year in property taxes and about $430 per year to insure. A place where I can insure my Porsche, my Audi AND my Mazda for about $1700 per year. A place where I won't have to deal with Jennie or Kwaame. The list could go on and on...
But get ready to pay 4% more sales tax on your next car and everything else you buy, which should equal what? $3k-4k on a Porsche alone?

Old 09-29-2007, 09:54 AM

999 posts, read 4,514,468 times
Here's a plus: The murder rate has only increased a little!! Now that the population is down by half, there are almost half as many murders as there used to be! Less of a target-rich environment!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,754 times
A year ago I moved from the D down to Charlotte NC. Really really miss all that Detroit has to offer. The only thing good about Charlotte is the economy. If anyone is moving to Charlotte and needs any tips, let me know...

Old 10-16-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
But get ready to pay 4% more sales tax on your next car and everything else you buy, which should equal what? $3k-4k on a Porsche alone?
Ok. Look at it like this. I'll buy a Porsche and pay that sales tax every 5-6 years or so. I will offset those taxes by paying NO STATE INCOME TAX every year. You do the math, I have.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,442,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera4S View Post
Ok. Look at it like this. I'll buy a Porsche and pay that sales tax every 5-6 years or so. I will offset those taxes by paying NO STATE INCOME TAX every year. You do the math, I have.
Can you eat your Porsche instead of going to a restaurant? My point is that taxes are coming from somewhere - someone's paying the piper and in most states it approximately even out.

There are exceptions and TN from what I'm told is not an exceptional example of cheap overall taxes. You can move to places like DE and get no sales tax, but do you want to move to DE? NJ has just about the highest everything, which begs the question why so many people live there.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM

No, I cannot eat the Porsche. But given a choice between paying sales tax on the Porsche vs paying income tax, I can at least enjoy the benefits of paying sales taxes on the Porsche. Plus, the last time I checked, paying income taxes doesn't feed me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit