Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
The Kilpatrick trial was a spectacle, nationally as well as locally. You cannot blame the country for the perception Detroit is corrupt...the last couple of years have been pure fodder for such perceptions.

Give Bing a chance.

I actually like Bing, but a lot of things going on in Detroit did not come from him exactly. A lot did as well, I'm not doubting that. But Americans want to sit back and point their little fingers at Detroit for being so corrupt when MOST politicians are! America was built on corruption and Americans, once again, voted for the same ******* (Bush twice) but want to put Detroiters down for voting Kwame??? when they don't even know the whole story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
wrong! I've lived on the opposite side of the airport from the St. Cyril area my whole life. My parents even lived over there before moving on this side, on Leander. My dad's side is from Carrie. Have lived on Carrie, and my uncle still does, since my father was young. He's now 67. The home has been passed down through generations. Most of the people on Carrie have lived over there as long as my family has, some longer. I went to cooper. I know what that side looked like, Leander had basically NO homes. They were building plenty over there right before the **** with Kwame went down.

As far as the other area, my mom fam is from the black bottom. She was born in the house over there and her brother still lives there. My aunt lives around the corner. I grew up on damn near all of the eastside and parts of the west although I've lived on one street my whole life. My uncles block in the black bottom area are almost all new homes that were built when KWAME was in office. Those homes were also going up quick and came to a halt once the Kwame stuff happened. So was other stuff. Things take time, so how ever long the planning was for the riverwalk was doesn't matter. I'd like see if we'd have a riverwalk right now without Kwame, because Bing isn't the one who introduced the riverwalk.

I don't know where you live, but when Kwame was in office my street did get plowed, we did actually see the police over here (and I live 10 mins walking from the police station), and our street lights do come on. Retail and Jobs have been leaving the city for forever now, WE have to fix that problem as city and its going to take time.
First off, what neighborhood in the St. Cyril area are you talking about? I'm talking about the area NW of Miller and St. Cyril. That area has been blocked off, and is basically an example of what half the city looks like when and if Bing is finishes his shrinkage plan.

Second, I didn't ask you how far away from the station you lived or if you SAW the police, I asked what was your resposne time. It shouldn't be anything less than 10 minutes for the taxes you pay.

How often did your streets get plowed? How many street lights are on your block?

Finally, did you forget there was no bulk service under Kilpatrick and half of the police and fire departments were shuttered, thus increasing the wait time in several neighborhoods for a response?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I actually like Bing, but a lot of things going on in Detroit did not come from him exactly. A lot did as well, I'm not doubting that. But Americans want to sit back and point their little fingers at Detroit for being so corrupt when MOST politicians are! America was built on corruption and Americans, once again, voted for the same ******* (Bush twice) but want to put Detroiters down for voting Kwame??? when they don't even know the whole story
Fact of the matter is the average city isn't as bad off as Detroit and the average city in America does at least receive basic services and pays less in the way of taxes than Detroiters.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Fact of the matter is the average city isn't as bad off as Detroit and the average city in America does at least receive basic services and pays less in the way of taxes than Detroiters.
Do you live in Detroit?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
First off, what neighborhood in the St. Cyril area are you talking about? I'm talking about the area NW of Miller and St. Cyril. That area has been blocked off, and is basically an example of what half the city looks like when and if Bing is finishes his shrinkage plan.

Second, I didn't ask you how far away from the station you lived or if you SAW the police, I asked what was your resposne time. It shouldn't be anything less than 10 minutes for the taxes you pay.

How often did your streets get plowed? How many street lights are on your block?

Finally, did you forget there was no bulk service under Kilpatrick and half of the police and fire departments were shuttered, thus increasing the wait time in several neighborhoods for a response?
I know what you didn't ask me and if you don't know where Leander is oh well

Old 05-19-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Do you live in Detroit?
As a matter of fact, I do, without the rose colored glasses.

Yuppies who are so blinded by the few positive aspects to see any flaw in the city of Detroit pisses me off as much as "ain't nothing doing" suburbanites who one second want to alienate themselves from the city but then claim it as theirs when it comes to sports or parades.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I know what you didn't ask me and if you don't know where Leander is oh well
Huh? That's not the St. Cyril neighborhood I'm talking about.

Marcus and Carrie is.

But sticking with your example of Leander, that area is a prime candidate for Bing's shrinkage plan. There are only a few houses left on that entire street from Van Dyke to French.

It had nothing to do with Kwame, that entire area has been in decline since the late 1970s, just like the Fox Creek Neighborhood, which was once a very dense urban neighborhood is now just a 6-mile in diameter prairie. Just because the decline doesn't stand out in your face immediately doesn't mean it isn't taking place. Long story short, they slowly transitioned from working/middle class neighborhood after those people moved out to lower class/rental/section 8 neighborhoods (who couldn't afford or probably didn't care about keeping up the maintance/appearance of their homes and neighborhoods), then they moved on to the next neighborhood (the aforementioned steps repeating themselves) and no one was left to replace them, so then came along the bulldozers. You can see this process in work in many of the fringe neighborhoods of the city now (with the lower class/rental/section 8 folks taking over) and where the middle class people that formerly populated these fringe neighborhoods are moving to (Eastpointe, Southfield, Oak Park, Harper Woods, etc.).

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-19-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 AM

70 posts, read 132,405 times
Had some friends come in from out of town (Calgary) so we spent the day in Detroit in yesterday and it was a fantastic day. Heidelburg, RenCen, Riverwalk, People Mover, Motown, Slows (amaaaaaaaazing) and then caught a Cirque show.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Glad to hear you had a great day in Detroit. I have been all over the US and I have never found anyplace like Slows. It is really remarkably good food. It is worth a trip to Detroit all by itself.

I am curious what did you like about the Rennessaince Center? I work here and while it is a decent office complex, I have not been able to discern the draw it has foor tourists and first time visitors. It even has a tour whcih seems pretty poular. What do they show you? "Here are some offices, and more offices over there, and here we ahve some empty stores oh and look up there - more offices!" There is obviously something intersting or amazing since so many people are atttracted to the tour and to the buildings, but I am not sure what it is. I do know that my kids absolutely love to come in on weekend mornings when it is empty and run around on the different levels and walkways, ride the escalators and elevators, etcetera.

Persoanlly I think that if you are from the mreto region Detroit IS your city. When asked where you are from, you say Detroit. If you say Franklin Villiage or Novi, no one knows what you are talking about. I do nto qualify as a yuppie though. I guess I am an MAPPAUHTRSD. That does not make as catchy an acronym. (Middle Aged professional person already up and hoping to retire someday). By the way, why aren't Yuppies called Yumppies? whatever happened to "mobile"?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:22 PM

70 posts, read 132,405 times
It's just the fact that the RenCen is gorgeous... a spectacular construction in a spectacular location. I want to work in the RenCen! It's so cool to see a massive indoor "city" like that. And it's fun to look at the cars and sit in them. (We didn't take the tour, just meandered around)

And here's nothing like an International Riverfront
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit